Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how can i limit access to control panel on XP pro ?

Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by optimus_prime View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    meaning?

That's the best answer, and I suggested it above.
    But...

Quote Originally Posted by Giveaway View Post
    remove him from administrators
    if i did so he wouldnt be able to install programs!

Then use Folder Guard. It just hides control panel.
    Heck, spending 5 minutes with goggle he could probably find a way around it completely.
    Last edited by Broken; 01-15-2008 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    optimus_prime's Avatar Guardian BT Rep: +2
    yeah, in fact i'm not sure what's whole discussion about.why would he change your password? just tell him not to touch your files deny him right to enter folder and set audit to inform you if he messed with it

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Giveaway's Avatar Senior Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    yes he would, add him to power users, or some other group and make sure you give that group rights.
    how do i do that?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    BLaZiN's Avatar Up yours! BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Only way for ur brother i would imagine to get to the control panel would be via the start menu - why not just arrange it so it doesnt show. Simple but effective maybe.....

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    yes he would, add him to power users, or some other group and make sure you give that group rights.
    how do i do that?
    There is only three types of accounts in xp; administrator, limited, and guest.
    A limited account would have trouble installing some programs, and would need permission from the administrator. But they could still be installed.

If you are wanting to "mother" your brother on the computer, put him on a limited account. Otherwise, your options are limited.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    optimus_prime's Avatar Guardian BT Rep: +2
    how do i do that?
    you would use control panel / administrative tools /computer management / local users and groups snap-in. there you'll see preinstalled groups like administrators/backup operators/power users/guests/ replicators... etc and you can add users to power users group as it sounds like what you want. you can change rules for each group in group policy (typing gpedit.msc in run) and local security policy snap-ins of your management console.

but having said that, being you don't how to do it, i'm really not sure if you should try to do it, as you could make a huge mess

you should probably rethink your problem, no need to lock control panel, if you just want to protect personal data from your brother it's better to use some form of encrypting like true-crypt. as broken rightly said, with user rights management, you can't restrict him access and giving him right to install EVERYTHING, it's just not possible.
    Last edited by optimus_prime; 01-15-2008 at 07:58 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Giveaway's Avatar Senior Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    thank you both guys!!
    ill see what to do

guys is true-crypt good to encript my whole account?
    Last edited by Giveaway; 01-15-2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    What optimus_prime said...

IMO if you try to do anything other than removing him from administrators and setting up a local group policy youre going about it the wrong way. He could definitely still be able to install programs. You can do alot with local policies. Pick up a book that has some info about windows desktop administration, it might be useful for all kinds of things! good luck

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    i just mad him power user.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12