Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Americans!

ukgenius's Avatar Genius :) BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ukgenius View Post
    OK this has really gone off topic but yes I agree that the American way is seriously screwed up. Its just not common sense to do it the english way/the normal way
    Well, we actually intended to do things differently, you see.
    Yep maybe so but the idea is still wrong

2. Lounge   -   #52
    OK this has really gone off topic but yes I agree that the American way is seriously screwed up. Its just not common sense to do it the english way/the normal way
    well, historically all nations have there own little bumps along the way and I think we have had our share here lately but soon it will be someone else turn and I agree we actually did have a different plan in mind

3. Lounge   -   #53
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge

What! dude you are out of your mind, We do have our problems and sure we are not perfect, but I believe we are the best civilization that us as humans have come up with in recorded history. We are not completely free no, but we are the most free of any nation there is without having anarchy. Don't be angry because we kicked England's ass back across the "pond". Look Im only kidding, I happen to like most Brit's but don't start with the USA bashing around me I think other countries are great but I LOVE mine as well.

4. Lounge   -   #54
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    So what exactly was the plan behind recording dates arse about face?

5. Lounge   -   #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post

What! dude you are out of your mind, We do have our problems and sure we are not perfect, but I believe we are the best civilization that us as humans have come up with in recorded history. We are not completely free no, but we are the most free of any nation there is without having anarchy. Don't be angry because we kicked England's ass back across the "pond". Look Im only kidding, I happen to like most Brit's but don't start with the USA bashing around me I think other countries are great but I LOVE mine as well.
    Reminds me of that Ghandi quote when he was asked 'what do you think of Western civilisation?':

'I think it would be a good idea'

6. Lounge   -   #56
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    So what exactly was the plan behind recording dates arse about face?
    A quick consultation of my copy of How/Why We Americans Do Things indicates that, with regard to dates, weights and measures, use of the letter "U" etc., all efforts were to be expended in aid of a felt imperative to (this comes directly from the text) confound the Brits.

Remember, back then we didn't like you guys too much because you treated us as second-class citizens, like. :
    Last edited by j2k4; 06-23-2008 at 12:35 PM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #57
    all efforts were to be expended in aid of a felt imperative to......
    Anyone?

8. Lounge   -   #58
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Either it was something they felt they had to do, like, or he's trying out a new way of talking about a blanket imperative.

9. Lounge   -   #59
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    That's the sort of post that makes me think less of you and your kind. I'm probably not the only one.
    Now go away.

10. Lounge   -   #60
    dinsdale's Avatar Poster
    @Detale

Hopefully you will develop a good sense of irony and a self crititical attitude when your empire eventually declines. Its what happened to us Brits. Civilisations come and go, read some history books.

People who go on about how great their country is and how superior it is are generally met with dissaproval over here, as zealous nationalism is often equated with the BNP (extreme right fascists) etc.

When people over here do hold forth about the Glorious Empire, it is often with a touch of irony, so don't be too surprised at the British reception of US citizens lecturing us on how great they are.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast