Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Americans!

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by dinsdale View Post
    Hopefully you will develop a good sense of irony and a self crititical attitude when your empire eventually declines. Its what happened to us Brits. Civilisations come and go, read some history books.

People who go on about how great their country is and how superior it is are generally met with dissaproval...
    All that aside, let me ask you this:

As a student of history, would you say that, during the extended period you Brits possessed a high horse, did you not fail to ride it for all it was worth?

This is the Lounge, ffs.

While I am (especially) loathe to speak for this thread's author, the place for lectures and history lessons is The Drawing Room.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Lounge   -   #62
    dinsdale's Avatar Poster
    Yeah we totally did ride the high horse during the Imperial era. Whats your point?

3. Lounge   -   #63
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    That horses should only be ridden in the Drawing Room.
    Now go away.

4. Lounge   -   #64
    Yeah we totally did ride the high horse during the Imperial era. Whats your point?
    What's my point?

Good grief.

You are saying, "We Brits were total assholes for a long, long time, to the extent we are resigned to eternal embarrassment, and are concurrently compelled to deliver lectures thereon to you ignorant, boorish and useless Americans", in order to deny us our turn on the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by benchez View Post
    ...horses should only be ridden in the Drawing Room.
    The idea has merit, insofar as the equipment necessary for cleaning up behind the horses is kept there.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Lounge   -   #65
    dinsdale's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    What's my point?

Good grief.

You are saying, "We Brits were total assholes for a long, long time, to the extent we are resigned to eternal embarrassment, and are concurrently compelled to deliver lectures thereon to you ignorant, boorish and useless Americans", in order to deny us our turn on the horse.

When did I deny anyone a turn on a horse? Did I say you shouldn't get on a high horse? Just explaining the British reaction to zealous nationalism... Jeez

6. Lounge   -   #66
    Just explaining the British reaction to zealous nationalism... Jeez
    Zealous nationalism...

Okay-

We fucked with weights and measures, spellings, dates, etc., because of the rampant, zealous and oppressive British nationalism of the 18th and 19th centuries.

Plus, we never taxed you guys.

Is that better.

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #67
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    Either it was something they felt they had to do, like, or he's trying out a new way of talking about a blanket imperative.
    I thought he was going on about felt the fabric

8. Lounge   -   #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    Either it was something they felt they had to do, like, or he's trying out a new way of talking about a blanket imperative.
    You've sorted it, at last/least.

Could you give the others lessons.

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #69
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Zealous nationalism...

Okay-

We fucked with weights and measures, spellings, dates, etc., because of the rampant, zealous and oppressive British nationalism of the 18th and 19th centuries.

Plus, we never taxed you guys.

Is that better.
    I think you do your ancestors a disservice, I doubt they would cut their noses off to spite their faces like that. There's probably a good reason if anyone cared enough to look.

10. Lounge   -   #70
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    The board has become quite touchy, and it seems to be affecting everyone. As my drunken whore of a mother would say. Take a Valium and stfu, you little bastard(s).

Peace, brotherdoobie

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast