Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 36434445464748 LastLast

Thread: G.o.d (((((((((athiest))))))))))

BANNED
    Calvarian.
    The atheist physicist joke:

'In the beginning there was nothing, which then exploded.'

Well then, that sure answers all the questions I have about the creation of the universe!
    Perhaps you have a believable explanation of where your god came from? Or has he always been there? Forever? Hundreds of thousands of millions of billions of years? Boy, it took him a long time to get bored enough to create the universe then! And even longer to make us!

2. The Drawing Room   -   #452
    Poster
    No you were right, God has always been there and always will be.

Compared to infinite one hundred million billion really isn't that big. In fact in relative terms, there's no difference between it and 1. Didn't take him any time at all to make the universe(s) time is meaningless to God.

Can't explain the infinite in terms of people's understanding of the way the universe works. Just isn't possible.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #453
    Ex-member
    I would like to affirm my belief that the universe is run by aliens from Mars with big elbows and pineapples for heads.

It's founded on exactly as much evidence as there is for any kind of religion, so why not? Go ahead and prove me wrong!

4. The Drawing Room   -   #454
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey@2 October 2003 - 20:51
    I would like to affirm my belief that the universe is run by aliens from Mars with big elbows and pineapples for heads.

It's founded on exactly as much evidence as there is for any kind of religion, so why not? Go ahead and prove me wrong!
    No thanks, you are just mocking people.

My beliefs are based on more than you just posting nonsense in a childish attempt to offend people like me.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #455
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by JPaul+2 October 2003 - 19:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul @ 2 October 2003 - 19:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lamsey@2 October 2003 - 20:51

It&#39;s founded on exactly as much evidence as there is for any kind of religion, so why not? Go ahead and prove me wrong&#33;

My beliefs are based on more than you just posting nonsense in a childish attempt to offend people like me. [/b][/quote]
    You malappropriate me most severely, JPaul.

I was trying to put across a serious point, albeit in a jocular sense.

There is no significant difference between my statement and the statement that someone believes in an all-powerful being, if you look at the evidence supporting either side.
    I just find it strange that one (rightly) appears ridiculous and the other does not.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #456
    Poster
    There is every difference in the world. I happen to believe one of them and it forms an integral part of my life.

Unless I very much miss the mark, you do not actually believe what you posted. So you are comparing what I fundamentally believe to something you yourself think ridiculous.

That is entirely different to saying that you are an agnostic and find no evidence for my belief.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #457
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Lamsey+2 October 2003 - 19:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 2 October 2003 - 19:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by JPaul@2 October 2003 - 19:56
    <!--QuoteBegin-Lamsey
    @2 October 2003 - 20:51

It&#39;s founded on exactly as much evidence as there is for any kind of religion, so why not? Go ahead and prove me wrong&#33;

My beliefs are based on more than you just posting nonsense in a childish attempt to offend people like me.
    You malappropriate me most severely, JPaul.

I was trying to put across a serious point, albeit in a jocular sense.

There is no significant difference between my statement and the statement that someone believes in an all-powerful being, if you look at the evidence supporting either side.
    I just find it strange that one (rightly) appears ridiculous and the other does not. [/b][/quote]
    [QUOTE]

Although I tend to agree with some of what you say Lamsey. There is no proof that pineapples are growing anywhere else other than our universe.

But on a more serious note how anyone religious can justify the likes of Aberfan, Dunblane etc. where hundreds of innocent children are killed belies belief.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #458
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by JPaul@2 October 2003 - 20:06
    There is every difference in the world. I happen to believe one of them and it forms an integral part of my life.

Unless I very much miss the mark, you do not actually believe what you posted. So you are comparing what I fundamentally believe to something you yourself think ridiculous.

That is entirely different to saying that you are an agnostic and find no evidence for my belief.
    You can take apart the individual words if you like, mate, but the meaning that you are taking is certainly not the one I intended to put across.

Would it perhaps help if I use [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] tags?

It was not my intention to offend; as you should know, it is not my style.

What I would like is for you, as a fundemental believer in your Faith, to explain to me what I am missing when I say that I see no difference. I apologise if that is not the way it came across.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #459
    Poster
    Why would I have to justify these things boab.

The one was the stupidity of man by building a school under a coal tip, the other was a man who lost his mind and used killing machines designed by other men, to kill.

Did you miss the point about God giving us free will. I am confused as to what your point is.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #460
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey@2 October 2003 - 21:12

It was not my intention to offend; as you should know, it is not my style.

What I would like is for you, as a fundemental believer in your Faith, to explain to me what I am missing when I say that I see no difference. I apologise if that is not the way it came across.
    I very much know it is not your style.

My point is that rather than stating that you fundamentally disagreed with my belief, you compared it to something which was ridiculous. The inference being that my belief was ridiculous. That is entirely different from disagreeing with me.

To use an untrue example. I could say, I have no interest in archery, it really isn&#39;t my cup of tea. However if I were to say all people who are interested in it are ..... I will not finish this as some people will take anything I say the wrong way (I know you are not one of them).

The former I think is acceptable, the latter could be mocking and offensive.