Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 374445464748 LastLast

Thread: G.o.d (((((((((athiest))))))))))

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by JPaul@2 October 2003 - 20:13
    Why would I have to justify these things boab.

The one was the stupidity of man by building a school under a coal tip, the other was a man who lost his mind and used killing machines designed by other men, to kill.

Did you miss the point about God giving us free will. I am confused as to what your point is.
    [QUOTE]

What I am suggesting JP is that if there was such a thing as an omniscient being then it could ensure that this type of thing only happens to those that deserve it.
    After both of these events that I quoted there were people saying that 'It is the will of god' and that it was a punishment for mans indiscretions.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #462
    Poster
    Originally posted by bigboab+2 October 2003 - 21:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigboab @ 2 October 2003 - 21:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JPaul@2 October 2003 - 20:13
    Why would I have to justify these things boab.

The one was the stupidity of man by building a school under a coal tip, the other was a man who lost his mind and used killing machines designed by other men, to kill.

Did you miss the point about God giving us free will. I am confused as to what your point is.

What I am suggesting JP is that if there was such a thing as an omniscient being then it could ensure that this type of thing only happens to those that deserve it.
    After both of these events that I quoted there were people saying that &#39;It is the will of god&#39; and that it was a punishment for mans indiscretions. [/b]
    He would have to be omnipotent as well, but I take your point.

I am not someone who believes that these tragedies are the will of God, so you may be better asking someone who is. I believe the exact opposite.

I believe that these things are very much not the will of God and that God does not want them to happen. However as he has given us free will, we keep on building the Guns and the bombs and the Schools at the bottom of coal tips.

Unless we have free will I believe the whole thing is pointless, we are all actors in a play and our scripts are pre-determined. I don&#39;t believe that. Unfortunately the free will that allows us to do good things also allows us to do bad things.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #463
    Well could he/she not let us read the script before scenes like these?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #464
    Poster
    Originally posted by bigboab@2 October 2003 - 21:32
    Well could he/she not let us read the script before scenes like these?
    Sorry mate - it&#39;s an ad-lib sort of gig.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #465
    Sound more Lab/Lib if we dont get a choice.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #466
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by JPaul@2 October 2003 - 20:19
    I very much know it is not your style.

My point is that rather than stating that you fundamentally disagreed with my belief, you compared it to something which was ridiculous. The inference being that my belief was ridiculous. That is entirely different from disagreeing with me.

To use an untrue example. I could say, I have no interest in archery, it really isn&#39;t my cup of tea. However if I were to say all people who are interested in it are ..... I will not finish this as some people will take anything I say the wrong way (I know you are not one of them).

The former I think is acceptable, the latter could be mocking and offensive.
    OK, I see your point; the way I phrased my point may be taken as offensive.

I apologise for that.

Now could you answer my intended point?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #467
    Poster
    Originally posted by bigboab@2 October 2003 - 21:37
    Can&#39;t be, the whole thing is about choice.

Life is a series of choices, you can choose to do whatever you want, as long as you accept the consequences.

Can&#39;t be bothered going to work, it&#39;s up to you, just live with the fact you will get fired. However ultimately it is your choice. You can do anything you want, but you have to live with the results.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #468
    Originally posted by JPaul+2 October 2003 - 20:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul @ 2 October 2003 - 20:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigboab@2 October 2003 - 21:37
    Can&#39;t be, the whole thing is about choice.

Life is a series of choices, you can choose to do whatever you want, as long as you accept the consequences.

Can&#39;t be bothered going to work, it&#39;s up to you, just live with the fact you will get fired. However ultimately it is your choice. You can do anything you want, but you have to live with the results. [/b][/quote]
    [QUOTE]

Maybe 50+ years ago JP. Now if you dont like the consequences, you sue.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #469
    BANNED
    *Bump* for Chalice.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #470
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@17 November 2003 - 10:06
    *Bump* for Chalice.

I thought I was out and they pull me back in.

Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 374445464748 LastLast