Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Guide To Avoid Fake Mp3s!

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but I found that higher quality mp3s were good (ie 192). The 128 ones tended to be the bad ones and usually had the highest number of sources.

Also, I always look for files with tags on them that look like they are from a warez distributer; like (tmp for movies files ect)

So it might look like:

track #- artist - album - song title - tag

or something similiar, in lower case.

Hope that makes sense, and helps.

-toast

2. File Sharing   -   #42
    BANNED
    i find the best thing to do about this whole business is to use ilw's program kc checker

3. File Sharing   -   #43
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    Originally posted by toast@22 September 2003 - 07:07
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but I found that higher quality mp3s were good (ie 192). The 128 ones tended to be the bad ones and usually had the highest number of sources.

Also, I always look for files with tags on them that look like they are from a warez distributer; like (tmp for movies files ect)

So it might look like:

track #- artist - album - song title - tag

or something similiar, in lower case.

Hope that makes sense, and helps.

-toast
    The quality has nothing to do with it they mostly have 192 quality songs with the shreech but about the groups that release music that can be true about 6/10 of those songs written like that are correct.

4. File Sharing   -   #44
    if i'm not in wrong, corrupted mp3s are usually made altering the file hex (replacing some original part with "00") so the file size of the corrupted mp3 will be the same of the original but the CRC will be different. Does kazaa do a CRC (or similar) check before downloading a file to prevent corrupted sources?

---------------------------------------
    --=Sorry for my english! =--

5. File Sharing   -   #45
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    Originally posted by WiSE@23 September 2003 - 12:42
    if i&#39;m not in wrong, corrupted mp3s are usually made altering the file hex (replacing some original part with "00") so the file size of the corrupted mp3 will be the same of the original but the CRC will be different. Does kazaa do a CRC (or similar) check before downloading a file to prevent corrupted sources?

--=Sorry for my english&#33; =--
    in order to do such a check, wouldnt they have to download the file first?
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

6. File Sharing   -   #46
    Originally posted by mogadishu+23 September 2003 - 19:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mogadishu @ 23 September 2003 - 19:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-WiSE@23 September 2003 - 12:42
    if i&#39;m not in wrong, corrupted mp3s are usually made altering the file hex (replacing some original part with "00") so the file size of the corrupted mp3 will be the same of the original but the CRC will be different. Does kazaa do a CRC (or similar) check before downloading a file to prevent corrupted sources?

--=Sorry for my english&#33; =--
    in order to do such a check, wouldnt they have to download the file first? [/b][/quote]
    the client that share the file should do the CRC check and then send the result to the client that is downloading the file.
    For example: the client A starts downloading a file from client B, client B do a CRC check on the file requested and send it to client A (assume that it is "B6CA7D38"), client A will then accept only sources that sends a file with the same CRC ("B6CA7D38"). Sources that are sharing corrupted files (that have a different CRC for example "B9FA3C64") won&#39;t be added to the download sources of client A. Other P2P programs, such as WinMX, do this check

7. File Sharing   -   #47

The following are typical characteristics of fake/unwanted music files.

1. The amount of users with the same copy is extremely big.

2. The file name or title name contains numbers like (1) or whatever between ().

3. The length/file size is too big (or too small) compared with normal songs, witht the rest of the files, and/or the lenght you suppose it may have.

4. The same user is repeatedly sharing copies of the same file (typically with altered names)

5. The length/file size of supposed copies of the same file differs from user to user.

6. The bandwidth of the file is extremely big compared to the rest. The download is really fast (if you reach a stable 9-10 Kbps with a56 K modem, this is a fake for sure).

6. When downloading a file, you notice it is restarted at some point (rare).

Well that&#39;s all for know. And I think it is enough to start avoiding fakes.

8. File Sharing   -   #48
    Good tip, another way to avoid fake MP3s.

9. File Sharing   -   #49
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    It&#39;s the same tip as ours just with a diagram. I like that diagram now people will understand more clearly.

10. File Sharing   -   #50
    Poster
    Perhaps the only real way to avoid fake mp3s is to use a CD ripper, rather than a p2p program, to get them. I don&#39;t mean to sound like a wiseass, but for me, getting songs off K++ using any method is futile, unless I&#39;m looking for a specific song and have the time to filter through fakes.

I buy CDs as they come out that I like and as I can afford them (no offense to those who don&#39;t) and rip them with the confidence that they&#39;ll be perfect, because firstly I didn&#39;t download each from a different user, secondly they weren&#39;t downloaded in chunks or fragments, and third, because I set all the options myself.

When I go places I take my Laptop and rip CDs other people have, and burn CDs for them in return or burn data CDs filled with mp3s for their digital collection.

*ducks pies and flames*

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast