Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Guide To Avoid Fake Mp3s!

Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    I can't wait on cd's I want to come out in stores so I download them.

2. File Sharing   -   #52
    Originally posted by cosmic doobie@20 August 2003 - 07:01
    SoulSeek = Piece Of Crap
    ------------------------------

TOO many Leechers,
    Slow Downloads,
    Server always down,
    Crashes my machines,
    Plastic looking interface,
    Queues, Queues and More Queues,
    Limited amount of users.

Kazaa & Edonkey still run rings round it for Music if you know what you're doing B)
    Or you can try WinMX :x
    Oh, and by the way, mp3's will never sound as good to my ears as a "real" cd
    as I am a musician and have perfect pitch.
    (yes, yes, I know: conversion removes the frequencys that we can't hear, blah blah blah, but I CAN tell. This is why I use p2p for rare music I cannot find, or don't have already. Plus piracy is fun )

3. File Sharing   -   #53
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    Most .mp3s are ripped from a cd and all originals aren't even 192k I had a cd with 128k

4. File Sharing   -   #54
    There is an update to the fakes detection procedure:

- A copy of the same file has the same exact name in all the sources.
    - The names of all users with the file are stupid names, and all of them end with "@KaZaA".

They'll have to make a bigger effort to trick me with fakes. I'm prepared for everything.

5. File Sharing   -   #55
    Poster
    Originally posted by Gre1@8 October 2003 - 16:21
    Most .mp3s are ripped from a cd and all originals aren't even 192k I had a cd with 128k
    Eh? Nearly 3,000 posts and you don't have the slightest clue?
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

6. File Sharing   -   #56
    Originally posted by fallenknight308@4 October 2003 - 07:28
    Oh, and by the way, mp3's will never sound as good to my ears as a "real" cd
    as I am a musician and have perfect pitch.
    (yes, yes, I know: conversion removes the frequencys that we can't hear, blah blah blah, but I CAN tell. This is why I use p2p for rare music I cannot find, or don't have already. Plus piracy is fun )
    You obviously haven't listened to an mp3 ripped with Lame's --alt-preset standard method. The sound is transparent. If you can tell the difference from those, then you are Superman.

Anyway, this is a good guide. The only thing that should be changed is step 4.
    The quality should be set to 'AT LEAST' 192 instead of 'IS' 192. This will ensure that higher bitrates (which are rarely fakes too) will also be included in the search results.

7. File Sharing   -   #57
    Poster
    If you REALLY give a shit about killing off fake sources, you'll have to HUNT THEM DOWN and kill them.

Well, figuratively anyway...

Use K-Dat to locate their ip address.
    It won't take long on some of these 100+ source download DATs to see a pattern.

When I did it, I found the VAST majority of fake sources were in the 38.118.0.0-38.119.255.255 ip range.

So add the 38.118.0.0-38.119.255.255 ip range to the BannedIpRanges.txt that KL++ uses!

THEN, keep looking for MORE patterns in the data -- maybe we can sniff out their secondary fake music MP3 servers. Then we can BLOCK those too! After enough of us do it, we'll only get bad files indirectly -- which may be an acceptable level compaired to what we have now!

8. File Sharing   -   #58
    @Switeck - I suggested a while back to pin a topic with excatly what u said. users would follow these steps, and report back their data to be confirmed/tested. Yet I didn't get any response.

If ud like we can try again and between u and I we would maintain it.

9. File Sharing   -   #59
    anyone is welcome to check out the pg forum http://www.peerguardian.net/
    where we track down fake file ranges etc- there's also a bit about the easiest way to track them in the guide to submitting ips which is in my sig line- the forum requires registration but it's worth it

10. File Sharing   -   #60
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    you can also add usernames to your filter list in 'my options' which may help avoid fakes, isnt much but better than nuthing lol

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast