Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laptop Cooler

brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by apextwin146 View Post
    ^ thanks mate .. I am kinda looking for a cooler since my laptop is on 24/5 for downloading n all . (My desktop has been reduced to a pile of dirt and empty beer cans,doritos packets)

Coolers work great. However, you're going to have to clean those fans. Compressed air works fine for cleaning the fans of a laptop, but you want to prevent the fans from spinning, while you're cleaning them.

For two reasons: compressed air can spin the bearings faster than the bearings are designed for, thus damaging them. While being spun by compressed air, the motor becomes a generator, thus applying reverse power to the motherboard and/or power supply circuits, possibly causing damage there as well.

You shouldn't leave your laptop on all day, btw. Shut it down, at least once a day for an extended period of time.

Heat is not your friend.

-bd

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    Don't copy the trick I heard about.

Some guy, after cleaning out his laptop for the third time, decided to make sure dust didn't get inside in the first place. So he covered all the "holes" with tape.
    Strangely enough, he only once had the problem of the laptop overheating after that.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    apextwin146's Avatar You kNow wHo yOu aRe BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by brotherdoobie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apextwin146 View Post
    ^ thanks mate .. I am kinda looking for a cooler since my laptop is on 24/5 for downloading n all . (My desktop has been reduced to a pile of dirt and empty beer cans,doritos packets)

Coolers work great. However, you're going to have to clean those fans. Compressed air works fine for cleaning the fans of a laptop, but you want to prevent the fans from spinning, while you're cleaning them.

For two reasons: compressed air can spin the bearings faster than the bearings are designed for, thus damaging them. While being spun by compressed air, the motor becomes a generator, thus applying reverse power to the motherboard and/or power supply circuits, possibly causing damage there as well.

You shouldn't leave your laptop on all day, btw. Shut it down, at least once a day for an extended period of time.

Heat is not your friend.

-bd
    Thanks ... i was also thinking abt swichting of the laptop for some time evryday .. Its true the convenience comes at a price ..
    But if i just keep it on for downloading stuff should it stay that hot?
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Don't copy the trick I heard about.

Some guy, after cleaning out his laptop for the third time, decided to make sure dust didn't get inside in the first place. So he covered all the "holes" with tape.
    Strangely enough, he only once had the problem of the laptop overheating after that.
    ..I will surely take that into account .. did the tape melt eventually?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12