Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's Big, it's black, it's W/C'ed

Acid_death69's Avatar confuddled?!
    aye that's the plan, it does get hot during the day, it got up to 50C yesterday:s, suppose it does'nt help giving that the tank is black. ive got a fan that sits on top of the tank and it'll suck air in from the open window above, so that should keep it a certain temps when it's hot.

My name is Dan for the people who care!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Given that you have quite a large water mass, enclosed in a large metal mass, your temps should move pretty slowly.

It would be interesting to graph the temps over several 24 hour periods and average them out.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    i'll do that tomorrow cos than i can have a start finish time, think there is an option to do that in everest or something

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    I know this is the pot calling the kettle black but more PICS man!!!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    I know this is the pot calling the kettle black but more PICS man!!!
    And a little bit bigger.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    lol kk will post some more pics tomorrow, is there anything specific you wanna see?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Sure the inside mostly and the rad placement. thanks

Edit: how did I miss this pic

GOD DAMN that thing is gigantic man
    Last edited by Detale; 09-29-2008 at 12:39 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    lol it is like, it's nearlly two foot tall! Was really taken away when i got it in the box. When i saw it on the web i was like that looks pretty cool, cos the case it was next to seemed pretty small. Then i got it i was like wtf! still yet to recieve the fan that goes on top of it. Will get hold of my mates camera when she gets bk from uni and take some good pics

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid_death69 View Post
    still yet to recieve the fan that goes on top of it.
    If you're talking about the Zalman "booster fan", I wouldn't get my hopes up too high, I don't think it works very well and it completely violates the "no fans, totally silent" concept that made the Reserator unique.
    As soon as you slap fans on it, you essentially have a really crappy radiator.

When the Reserator first came out I corresponded with a Finnish guy who was one of the few advocates for it on OC Forums. He did quite a bit of tinkering/testing and came up with a few mods that seemed to work. The main one was extending the inlet with a tube so that the pump couldn't suck the just returned (hot) water right back into the circuit. Zalman may have even incorporated this into the V2, I'm not sure.

Fans- even with a full length shroud, which the Zalman version doesn't have- were less effective than he'd hoped unless the shroud was ducted to outside air.

Ultimately, the final solution was the simplest and most obvious...he extended the tubing and wiring and ran the Reserator outside, buried in snow.
    This was a kickass performer but required upgrading the pump as the original could not deal with the extra tubing and height disparity. Zalman upgraded the pump for the V2, so it may not be an issue with yours.

I think you'll find that the Zalman's construction is just not very receptive to forced air cooling...the metal mass is too great compared to the finning and heat exchange is relatively poor. I had always wondered why they didn't have fins on the inside as well as out , that would have made a difference but I guess that would have really complicated the extrusion process.

Your layout- desk right next to window- would make it pretty simple to hang the rez outside the building.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    i could put it outside the building but i think if i did that chances are it would get nicked. I dont live in the best of neighbour hoods. Anyway we'll see, not far off from winter, im sure that's when it'll come into it's own

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast