Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: why do people invite others?

stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    so you got your 100 rep points, and now you quit, nice thinking.

and if you did not give a shit about rep points, you would hide them.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Magnum's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    and if you did not give a shit about rep points, you would hide them.
    Done!

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Although your groups are largely correct, you are missing a very important one PB, the fourth group is roughly similar to those who do are veterans, but are simply magnanimous and want to invite others in private to trackers or forums simply because they think the other user will be an asset to the community of the tracker/forum. These users give in private, they may not have the top of the WTAW list trackers, but they are looking for people to be members of trackers/forums that they enjoy.
    The difference with this group is that they are not looking for rep points from the start, they are looking for like minded people to join the communities that they enjoy, and so instead of doing public giveaways, they get to know their prospective invitee. The difference though between this group and your veteran torrenters is that they are not jaded and untrusting, but simply more private people who wish to invite others without fanfare.
    Last edited by Artemis; 01-14-2009 at 01:22 PM.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I do it to bring in new blood, expand on content and activity. I never do public ones unless staff approved and also I tend to not "recruit" from similar content trackers.

Also I don't always feel that I with my low upspeed am a good user, so to compensate I bring in people who I feel bring something to the tracker.

And third I believe that if everyone just brings in people they have known forever, the trackers will wither up and die a slow death.

But I guess you knew that already.
    Last edited by Blue_Skies; 01-14-2009 at 01:24 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    BANNED BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptanAmerica
    i ddnt get about witch simply rules u r talking xacly. i thought i do it from the start of my torrenting carier. if i ddnt do here many giveaways it dsnt mean that i ddnt do if at all. also i wont be good for every place where i am a member. some1 ofc will disagree but so im. dont see any good point to be an example for imitation, but more important i will not against the fact that im captan america here and im XXX there if somebody will find this out
    My head actually aches trying to decipher that Look I get it, English isn't your first language, but that isn't even remotely close to an english sentence structure.

english isnt native tongue here for many members. whats the point to u to finger for it?

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Rafa's Avatar ... BT Rep: +2
    Although your groups are largely correct, you are missing a very important one PB, the fourth group is roughly similar to those who do are veterans, but are simply magnanimous and want to invite others in private to trackers or forums simply because they think the other user will be an asset to the community of the tracker/forum. These users give in private, they may not have the top of the WTAW list trackers, but they are looking for people to be members of trackers/forums that they enjoy.
    The difference with this group is that they are not looking for rep points from the start, they are looking for like minded people to join the communities that they enjoy, and so instead of doing public giveaways, they get to know their prospective invitee. The difference though between this group and your veteran torrenters is that they are not jaded and untrusting, but simply more private people who wish to invite others without fanfare.

well said

I fit well in this group. And if somebody had not done the same for me in the past, I would not be here today

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptanAmerica View Post
    english isnt native tongue here for many members. whats the point to u to finger for it?
    I guess he likes fingering
    Last edited by Rigel9; 01-14-2009 at 02:09 PM.
    feels good, man

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    This is my take on this before my ISP cuts me off for not paying the bill, who says tracker owners make a fortune eh lol, so i may not be able to reply for a few days.

The general feeling i get is this.

Most give away on public forums, but they would never even dream of going back to a tracker, that lets in noobs (open sign up) and getting a decent member from their instead. actually some go 1 step further, and as soon as they get a "Higher lvl site" does not have to be a better site, they give their lvl 1 and 2 sites up and just forget all about them.

This to me should be where you get your invitees from, if everyone just invites the same members into every tracker, then eventually every tracker will die.

I would even go far as to say that, smaller trackers, and even big specialized trackers could be a thing of the past, and we will be left with just the big general trackers, even new general trackers that want to be big, are finding it hard to attract decent members.

It is very easy to get 5,000- even 100,000 members onto a tracker, the big problem is, most of those and i would go so far as to say 90% either.

A: have other trackers, so if you do not have anything different (which lets be honest, is getting harder to do) they do not take part, they sign up but do not seed or leech or anything.

B: Are noobs, who are used to getting on a torrent, limiting their upload, getting it as fast as possible, then as soon as it finishes, leave it, then if they get banned, they just sign up again and repeat.

C: those that are just lazy bastards and cheat as soon as they jump on the 1st torrent.

It is very hard to get decent members these days, that are unique to your tracker, but opening up does not work, invites do to an extent but then you get trading and selling of them.

It is just 1 big viscous circle as far as I can see, and i have no idea on how to remedy it, because most members do not give a shit about the tracker they are on, as long as they can get what they want. most are just so Me Me Me and fuck everyone else.

Even ratio is a double edged sword, its supposed to be there to weed out the bad, but it also makes the good stop downloading in case they get demoted or just get a lower ratio, and ratio free trackers may work with smaller member base, but i think you will find that if a big tracker, that likes to be a library of torrents (not just 0day) things will die off very bloody quick if they went ratio free.

anyway, what to do about it, fuck knows, but public invite sites, and trading selling, do not help trackers bring in good members, which is after all, all we bloody want at the end of the day.
    Last edited by stoi; 01-14-2009 at 02:33 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    The difference though between this group and your veteran torrenters is that they are not jaded and untrusting, but simply more private people who wish to invite others without fanfare.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    invites are given in private and as a gift without any need for publicity.
    i think those would pretty much fit in group three. i can't see a contradiciton here. their personal benefit is low compared to the risk they take.

it's not about putting people into groups by the way. it's about the three major kinds of motivations. motivation is always diverse and personal. not every aspect can be considered. the motivation i described in group three can be valid for anyone, not just veterans.

when you invite people you know, like and trust, it naturally includes the wish that they'll be an asset to the site. you wouldn't invite someone who doesn't listen to music to a music tracker just because you know and trust him.
    Last edited by Polarbear; 01-14-2009 at 02:50 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    NON TRADER BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    This is my take on this before my ISP cuts me off for not paying the bill, who says tracker owners make a fortune eh lol, so i may not be able to reply for a few days.

The general feeling i get is this.

Most give away on public forums, but they would never even dream of going back to a tracker, that lets in noobs (open sign up) and getting a decent member from their instead. actually some go 1 step further, and as soon as they get a "Higher lvl site" does not have to be a better site, they give their lvl 1 and 2 sites up and just forget all about them.

This to me should be where you get your invitees from, if everyone just invites the same members into every tracker, then eventually every tracker will die.

I would even go far as to say that, smaller trackers, and even big specialized trackers could be a thing of the past, and we will be left with just the big general trackers, even new general trackers that want to be big, are finding it hard to attract decent members.

It is very easy to get 5,000- even 100,000 members onto a tracker, the big problem is, most of those and i would go so far as to say 90% either.

A: have other trackers, so if you do not have anything different (which lets be honest, is getting harder to do) they do not take part, they sign up but do not seed or leech or anything.

B: Are noobs, who are used to getting on a torrent, limiting their upload, getting it as fast as possible, then as soon as it finishes, leave it, then if they get banned, they just sign up again and repeat.

C: those that are just lazy bastards and cheat as soon as they jump on the 1st torrent.

It is very hard to get decent members these days, that are unique to your tracker, but opening up does not work, invites do to an extent but then you get trading and selling of them.

It is just 1 big viscous circle as far as I can see, and i have no idea on how to remedy it, because most members do not give a shit about the tracker they are on, as long as they can get what they want. most are just so Me Me Me and fuck everyone else.

Even ratio is a double edged sword, its supposed to be there to weed out the bad, but it also makes the good stop downloading in case they get demoted or just get a lower ratio, and ratio free trackers may work with smaller member base, but i think you will find that if a big tracker, that likes to be a library of torrents (not just 0day) things will die off very bloody quick if they went ratio free.

anyway, what to do about it, fuck knows, but public invite sites, and trading selling, do not help trackers bring in good members, which is after all, all we bloody want at the end of the day.
    Well said Stoi....

i can't agree with you more m8, everything you have said in this post is 100% true and to chase.. it is hard finding good members these days because there's too much.. To many trackers, invite forums, trade forums and too many users are getting spoiled by not having to do anything to get on a tracker.. On top of that, that want it all for free!

no need for smart ass comments on my last line... if you don't understand what i mean... then it was meant for you!
    TRADING SUCKS DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast