Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What about seedboxes?

ghurka's Avatar Welsh Bhoy BT Rep: +5
    One of the basic problems with seedboxes is that the users tend to come off the torrent very quickly. It then seems that the responsibility falls on the other users to keep the torrent alive.Just imagine a tracker where all or most of the users had seedboxes....would be utter chaos.

Whilst a small number of seedbox users on a tracker will be good for the overall swarm I feel too many users on a tracker will bring that tracker down.

Personally I think there are too many with seedboxes that are either (a) not there to help the tracker but simply want a larger e-penis or (b) look to get their ratio/upload up to a point where they can get invites to trade.

I wonder if there may even come a time when trackers restrict the number of seedbox users allowed there.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    What puckface says, except one huge problem.

I would assume most if not all seedbox user's that are not also uploaders use their seedboxes to farm ratio off of FL packs. They create a huge influx of bandwidth traffic for absolutely no reason, because they are farming ratio and not downloading out of interest. This creates ridiculous buffers, and some of these users will use those buffers to download their regular everyday material without sharing back (They will have ditched their seedbox because with a huge buffer there is no mroe need for one).
    Last edited by T.S.O.L.; 04-20-2009 at 12:06 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    puckface's Avatar Unknown Pleasures BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by T.S.O.L. View Post
    What puckface says, except one huge problem.

I would assume most if not all seedbox user's that are not also uploaders use their seedboxes to farm ratio off of FL packs. They create a huge influx of bandwidth traffic for absolutely no reason, because they are farming ratio and not downloading out of interest. This creates ridiculous buffers, and some of these users will use those buffers to download their regular everyday material without sharing back (They will have ditched their seedbox because with a huge buffer there is no mroe need for one).

To be fair, I did see this on a forum of a site that has no free-leech packs and very rare free leech anything. So I guess you are right since the response there was obviously targeted towards that specific tracker.
    Go Leafs Go.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    It was just my general observation; I haven't read any threads about this on trackers. I'm not saying I'm against seedboxes, but in my opinion that is the only (or most important) negative aspect of them.

All in all I'm pro-seedboxes because on good sites there are generally some users that use them for the community, and seed those big packs over prolonged periods, and they will more than make up for the rest of them. Just sucks for the users that abuse it, cause they end up making (in my opinion) "fake" upload by downloading 100s of gigs of fl off of each others boxes and then leech the actual 0day/ older material that "good" users have kept seeding for ages.

An example is on SCC awhile back when they started to put 0day music into 'packs'. Regular users liked the individual torrents better because they search for what they want and the dl without having to sort through the torrent file itself. The ratio farmers (even including a mod) justified keeping the packs "because we got more upload off of them" I was so shocked that a staff member would be naive enough to see it from that perspective. Either way they stopped making the packs, but only because it was too much work for the uploaders.

Another example of abuse is SceneLife, where packs lose their seeds real fast. This might be because the only way to maintain ratio is to seed stuff for ages until it becomes freeleech and hope someone will make a snatch when it does, which isn't very practical. The easy way (if you've got spare cash) is to seedbox packs for ratio, and since they don't even want the content user's normally drop off them pretty fast. Just seems like a huge waste of resources that does little for anybody in this case.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12