Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    Usenet vs Torrents

SSL vs Public IP

Usenet WINS!!!
    many private trackers support SSL...

Quote Originally Posted by 222MHz View Post
    You must have a very slow connection..
    i'd rather say he's member of a good 0day tracker
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    But you're still connecting to other peers even if you announce on an SSL conneciton. Unless you use a proxy service, your IP is publicly available to any member of that private tracker. The more secure you believe that site is, the better, but with usenet, your IP is never exposed to any third party.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Possible but your IP is still public.

I was on ScL and I was leeching and I could see many IP's I used IPAF and managed to find their:

IP Address Hostname, IP Country, IP Country Code, IP Continent, IP Region, Guessed City, IP Latitude, IP Longitude, ISP.

Not safe at all .

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    technodrome's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    but many of good trackers are much safer than anything.. U only have to get in a high level tracker..
    Last edited by technodrome; 04-08-2009 at 07:20 AM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by technodrome View Post
    but many of good trackers are much safer than anything.. U only have to get in a high level tracker..
    Yes, but then people will spread the word of these trackers causing unwanted attention, then you'll have Anti-piracy bodies getting invited for these trackers and then they'll get your IP's.

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    yeah, and that's not too easy ;-)
    atleast if you want a good tracker.
    i'll give usenet a try...

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    222MHz's Avatar Poster
    the best part of torrents is also it's worst part... Torrents are for school kids w/o access to a credit card...

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by Buschwusch View Post
    yeah, and that's not too easy ;-)
    atleast if you want a good tracker.
    i'll give usenet a try...
    Even so, they log everything about you, there are no impending cases against Newsgroup providers, one most ISP's offer them for free, and next other providers fall under "common carrier law". So, if a private site gets busted and they got logs, guess what your tagged
    [center]

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by masscrazy View Post
    But i have found torrents to be so much better. Organised, easy to use, exact same speeds, just not as safe but thats the only downside oh and the little thing known as uploading/seeding back. But its worth it.
    You must have a very slow connection.. And when you sit in a torrent swarm you might as well have a name tag on that says "Hello, My name is Bob"

The only thing I torrent is basically what it was initially designed for... Easing loads for servers.. In my case OpenSource.. I seed a couple of distros 24/7 for forever now.. How about those ratios.. I upped Debian Stable at 25Kb/s for 2 years..
    Nope, i have a 12-13Mb connection i get 1.6MB/1.7MB/s. Torrents the speed (with good seeds ofcourse) stays at a CONSTANT 1.66-1.7MB. Usenet it fluctuates. Sometimes i get the full 1.6MB/s, usually around 1.4MB. Also i get different speeds on different clients, which is odd.

Im lucky i got the level 10 tracker, and last 5-6months of freeleech has been delightful, got 150gb buffer with my crappy upload. Ha, and i just noticed it has SSL and im already using it access the site.

many private trackers support SSL..
    Last edited by masscrazy; 04-09-2009 at 07:01 PM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    the best part of torrents is also it's worst part... Torrents are for school kids w/o access to a credit card...
    That's often overlooked, but it is true. I used torrents for a while, but when I realized I could rise above the fray for the price of one movie ticket, I never looked back.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast