Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft confirms Windows 7 downgrade rights

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Never heard of Foxit, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

You don't haveto reformat, just extract the iso to a folder on any hd, make sure you have at least 16GB free on C:, and run setup.exe.
    Really? Doesn't that create a second install of Windows though?
    Last edited by Skizo; 04-17-2009 at 08:25 PM.

yo

2. News (Archive)   -   #12
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    I think it just over writes the newer system files and adds the updates, I assume upgrading is just like upgrading to SP1.
    [center]

3. News (Archive)   -   #13
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    I'm using Windows 7. Have been for six weeks or so and am using build 7000. I also skipped using Vista completely. Never even tried it. Did a reformat from XP right into Win7.

That being said, I don't know how you can say Windows 7 is "more stable that XP".

I have a Microsoft mouse that won't even work correctly. It isn't a cheap one either, but their more (most?) expensive one - the MS Laser Mouse 8000. The movement can at times be very jittery for no apparent reason. This never happened in XP. I also cannot scroll with my mouse wheel. It's a Microsoft product ffs...

I have issues with PDF files and Reader - Reader is very iffy and Adobe has no qualms about admitting it. They've clearly stated that they do not yet support the OS. I cannot print a PDF file from IE, FF, Chrome, or Reader. I must save it and then open it in Photoshop and print from there.

The taskbar auto-hide does not work properly. Auto-hide will randomly stop hiding. If I go back into properties and reselect and reapply the settings, it will hide one time and thats it. When I bring up the taskbar again, it stays visible again. The only way to fix it is to reboot the PC.

I tried changing some icons and that was a huge mistake. Many of my icons are now invisible. Windows 7 did not include all of the icons that the final release will. Thus, when I tried to change back to the default ones, they weren't there. File folders don't even exist anymore. I worked for hours on it and finally got most of the icons back to a state that is good enough. I'm not messing with them again.

Those are just a couple of the problems I've run into. I can't recall a single problem I had in XP in all the years I used it, yet I've run into a slew of them in just a few weeks with Win7.

@ SonsOfLiberty - The Windows 7 builds are working for more than 30 days. They expire on August 1st and go into a limited use status.
    For your mouse you probably need to install the drivers.

Hold off on the upgrade until the RC or RTM release is leaked. That's what I'm doing. It should be soon, I think.

Also the only problem I have with Windows7 is that when I lock the pc then log back in my programs in my taskbar disappear (ones that are 'pinned' appear to be not running, it turns back to a shortcut). I can see them all running by using alt+tab, or by minimizing the currently active window. And also when I give each window focus it reappears in the taskbar.
    I had this problem with it since I first installed 32bit, then after formatting and installing the 64bit version, but I can't find anything on google about this problem.

The other thing I miss is "move" which you see when right clicking a running program in the taskbar in vista/xp/2000/etc. It was useful for finding programs that are on the second monitor (tv which is turned off).

4. News (Archive)   -   #14
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Never heard of Foxit, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

You don't haveto reformat, just extract the iso to a folder on any hd, make sure you have at least 16GB free on C:, and run setup.exe.
    Really? Doesn't that create a second install of Windows though?
    Nope, It overwrites the previous installation. All your settings, personal files and installed programs remain intact.

I suggest you grab a copy ASAP.
    x64 https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showt...hlight=windows

x86 https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showt...hlight=windows

5. News (Archive)   -   #15
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    I'm using Windows 7. Have been for six weeks or so and am using build 7000. I also skipped using Vista completely. Never even tried it. Did a reformat from XP right into Win7.

That being said, I don't know how you can say Windows 7 is "more stable that XP".

I have a Microsoft mouse that won't even work correctly. It isn't a cheap one either, but their more (most?) expensive one - the MS Laser Mouse 8000. The movement can at times be very jittery for no apparent reason. This never happened in XP. I also cannot scroll with my mouse wheel. It's a Microsoft product ffs...

I have issues with PDF files and Reader - Reader is very iffy and Adobe has no qualms about admitting it. They've clearly stated that they do not yet support the OS. I cannot print a PDF file from IE, FF, Chrome, or Reader. I must save it and then open it in Photoshop and print from there.

The taskbar auto-hide does not work properly. Auto-hide will randomly stop hiding. If I go back into properties and reselect and reapply the settings, it will hide one time and thats it. When I bring up the taskbar again, it stays visible again. The only way to fix it is to reboot the PC.

I tried changing some icons and that was a huge mistake. Many of my icons are now invisible. Windows 7 did not include all of the icons that the final release will. Thus, when I tried to change back to the default ones, they weren't there. File folders don't even exist anymore. I worked for hours on it and finally got most of the icons back to a state that is good enough. I'm not messing with them again.

Those are just a couple of the problems I've run into. I can't recall a single problem I had in XP in all the years I used it, yet I've run into a slew of them in just a few weeks with Win7.

@ SonsOfLiberty - The Windows 7 builds are working for more than 30 days. They expire on August 1st and go into a limited use status.

Hold off on the upgrade until the RC or RTM release is leaked. That's what I'm doing. It should be soon, I think.

Also the only problem I have with Windows7 is that when I lock the pc then log back in my programs in my taskbar disappear (ones that are 'pinned' appear to be not running, it turns back to a shortcut). I can see them all running by using alt+tab, or by minimizing the currently active window. And also when I give each window focus it reappears in the taskbar.
    I had this problem with it since I first installed 32bit, then after formatting and installing the 64bit version, but I can't find anything on google about this problem.

The other thing I miss is "move" which you see when right clicking a running program in the taskbar in vista/xp/2000/etc. It was useful for finding programs that are on the second monitor (tv which is turned off).
    I tried letting Windows install the mouse itself but that didn't work. Afterwards, I found the drivers online on M$s website as I didn't have the disc. Everything works but the scrolling now. I'm confident they'll fix it in a future (or retail) release but as for now, it's annoying.

yo

6. News (Archive)   -   #16
    tesco's Avatar woowoo

I tried letting Windows install the mouse itself but that didn't work. Afterwards, I found the drivers online on M$s website as I didn't have the disc. Everything works but the scrolling now. I'm confident they'll fix it in a future (or retail) release but as for now, it's annoying.
    It's a driver problem not a windows7 problem.

7. News (Archive)   -   #17
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Its reached escrow stage , so any day now . Escrow means once on the store self it will look like build 7077 but hopefully no bugs .

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 build 7077 RC-Escrow

Entering code escrow

“Code escrow” refers to a phase in a product’s development when additions or modifications to the project’s appearance and functionality is halted. Developers will then be tasked with eliminating bugs in the code until the team is satisfied that it can be shipped to manufacturing (RTM) to create retails discs.

Windows 7 entered its code escrow phase with build 7077. The Windows 7 that you see on shelves at the end of the year will look and function exactly as it does in build 7077, but stomping bugs and creating a polished product is more critical than ever.
    Last edited by peat moss; 04-18-2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Felt like it

8. News (Archive)   -   #18
    tesco's Avatar woowoo

Incase anyone is wondering I found a workaround for this.
    Use Win+Shift+Left/right to move a window between monitors.
    This is actually even better than 'Move'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12