Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: why not switch to usenet?

cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    and it's hella cheaper than the seedbox I'd need to keep up my ratio.
    no, it is not.
    sharing a kimsufi for one month with another guy (15€ per person) would allow you to buffer your accounts enough not to bother with ratios until the end of your days.
    Last edited by cinephilia; 04-24-2009 at 10:42 PM.
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

2. BitTorrent   -   #102
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    But in my eyes, that is just totally wrong.

What gives you the right, to seed uploader A`s torrents for a huge buffer, but then proceed to hit and run on all of user B`s torrents. and even more so, if user A has got a seedbox, so does not really need help, but User B is on 100KBs upload and needs all the help he can get.

If that is the only reason you get a seedbox, then its just fucked up i am afraid.

but back on topic.
    Last edited by stoi; 04-24-2009 at 11:39 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #103
    well, i think building ratios with a box during one month (in order to help a slow connection) is not so unfair as long as you keep your torrents seeding and possibly cap your upload speed after 2 or 3 days to let other slow connections seed as well.
    of course, that doesn't mean you can hit & run once you're back with your home connection, that's just a "push" in case you couldn't afford to maintain your ratios in spite of your good will.
    in my case, i'm seeding torrents for more than a year and having used a box doesn't stop me in any way from uploading stuff/seeding for a long time.

ok, back to the thread.

4. BitTorrent   -   #104
    Both formats obviously have their positives and negatives, just like everything else in life there is always another side to the coin. One thing that everyone keeps talking about is ratio and server usage on the BT sites, vs paying for usenet. In today's BT world there are quite a few no ratio sites, enough in fact that nobody ever be left without a no ratio ratio tracker or three. I use a server not for speed but for privacy issues in light of todays hostile environment towards honest pirates. Comcast is especially brutal towards the hard working pirates and they dropped their free Usenet so I don't know their attitude towards it now.

I have tried one of those free Usenet accounts last year and I found the whole experience rather frustrating compared to BT. Granted, that when I tried it and found that it was not point and click and simple to use right away I pretty much said the hell with this, BT is easier. I know that once I get a grip on what I need to do I would not mind it at all. I also would not go on about the speed difference between the two options. On the better BT sites you can max out your connection easily, I share a gigaserver that just gets amazing speeds with BT which also shows that a home user can get more than enough speed.

The users of the two formats are looking for different things. Each group of faithful users/defenders have different criteria on what they want. I don't really don't give a rats ass about retention times that Usenet people are so proud of, or how long a torrent lives for about 98% of the stuff I download. I'm a 0-day type a guy, so I don't care about older stuff for the most part except for music.

I might give Usenet another try and hopefully I can find a decent guide that can walk me through what I need to know. After all I can PM all you Usenet gurus here on FST and beg for salvation. Once I am done here I will go through the links posted and find one to try. I think in the end that both forms have their followers and we should be thankful that we live in an age that allows these forms of information sharing, which in the end is what both forms are all about. We can go back and forth until the cows come home and it won't matter, people have their favorite ways of doing things and thats what they will do.
    Last edited by Snarkyone; 04-25-2009 at 01:31 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #105
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Yikes 11 pages to read.

Well I preffer Usenet beacuse I will get the best speed on anything. That's right. No need to worry about seeds and hit and runners, no need to worry about trying to seed on a tracker that has mainly guys with insane connections and where it gets stupid seeding back what you downloaded.

And because Usenet will eventually have 1 year of retention on everything and later 2-3 years etc...

Good luck finding old stuff on trackers unless you go to Demonoid or TPB and even if you do, you'll get crappy speeds.

I do like some torrents sites that especialize on specific content. Like Underground-Gamer or Pleasuredome or What.cd and HDTV trackers although I much rather get High Def movies off usenet. I really do think there are too many general content trackers that have the same thing and are good basically for 0-day stuff only.

The bottom line is this. if I can't find something on Usenet because it is really old. It most likely will be on warez boards but rarely it will be on torrent sites. That's why BT is my last choice. But in the end you kind of need them all to make sure you get what you want.
    Last edited by saulin; 04-25-2009 at 04:13 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #106
    Quote Originally Posted by saulin View Post
    Good luck finding old stuff on trackers unless you go to Demonoid or TPB and even if you do, you'll get crappy speeds.
    you're wrong.
    one more time, Karagarga has ~60.000 torrents of non-mainstream/old material.

7. BitTorrent   -   #107
    manu1991's Avatar Ancient Philospher BT Rep: +3
    ^^ add cinemageddon to that too
    22,283 torrents of old/some extremely rare movies
    Last edited by manu1991; 04-25-2009 at 04:50 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #108
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by saulin View Post
    you're wrong.
    one more time, Karagarga has ~60.000 torrents of non-mainstream/old material.

Isn't Karagarga just a weird movies tracker? What if I'm looking for applications or some non weird movie. Will it have it?

Like I said. Trackers that specialize on something in specific have good hard to find content but there is no tracker that will have the content that Usenet has.

9. BitTorrent   -   #109
    manu1991's Avatar Ancient Philospher BT Rep: +3
    A single tracker wont , but a multitude of trackers will
    Movies - Karagarga/Cinemageddon
    Music - What/Waffles/Pedro
    TV - thebox.bz - Anything on british TV
    Elearning - thevault/bitme/bitspyder

I found Usenet better only for HD Movies and games

10. BitTorrent   -   #110
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    and most of what you showed me in that link was garbage.

Dutch/German/Dupes

yes newsbin is good, but so is bittorrent, i am not totally dismissing torrents.

I very rarely download TV, but i just fancied West Wing and OZ the complete seasons, looked on usenet, no where to be seen, had to get them from TPB, yes they took 4 weeks to download, but at least i got them. that was when i wished i had a tv tracker lol

I know usenet, i have been using it for 5 years, you dont need to link me to anything, i know how to search, and i have astraweb, so i know how many games there are, and there is not as many as BCG.
    OZ was an awesome series one of my favorites i got mine from TL

oh back to topic just really getting back in to news servers
    all i know is i miss newzleech posts --->disabled (temp)

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast