Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Cult Classics

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by Justsomeguy+30 September 2003 - 11:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Justsomeguy @ 30 September 2003 - 11:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@30 September 2003 - 09:26
    This whole thread has been bastardized. Now everyone&#39;s naming any joe blow movie a cult classic. Take a look at this thread it is much better and you might get some good movies out of it.

Here we go again

Who are you to say what does and what doesn&#39;t define a genre?

Personally, I just dont care whether some of the films listed in this topic fit the genre or not... It&#39;s an inexact genre... thats the beauty of it... and this is just a p2p community forum, not a national film archive.

Try to get a bit of perspective. Lives will not be lost because of inconsistent information here.

By the way, I found the sweeping accusation that "everyone&#39;s naming any joe blow movie a cult classic." not only arrogant, but patently wrong.

Sure, some folks&#39; opinions may differ from yours.. but if you have a problem with that, try to remember that it takes all kinds to make a world.

Keep &#39;em coming folks.. and to hell with the nit-pickers [/b][/quote]
    And yea The Sound Of Music is a "cult classic"

Sorry for saying this thread has been bastardized but this thread is more like:

"Name Films You Liked"

Folks ARE naming any joe blow movie and calling it a cult classic.
    It is like naming Terms Of Endearment and then someone says that not a cult classic and then I say well..... it&#39;s a cult classic to ME. Bullshit

And yes certain things DO define a genre.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Movies & TV   -   #62
    Originally posted by Justsomeguy@30 September 2003 - 03:41
    Here we go again

Who are you to say what does and what doesn&#39;t define a genre?

Personally, I just dont care whether some of the films listed in this topic fit the genre or not... It&#39;s an inexact genre... thats the beauty of it... and this is just a p2p community forum, not a national film archive.

Keep &#39;em coming folks.. and to hell with the nit-pickers
    just to distinguish my point from busyman&#39;s, he&#39;s saying this movie & that movie aren&#39;t "cult," and i don&#39;t care which particular ones people call cult classics because i think the category is just an orphanage for anything & everything that regular noobs don&#39;t understand. just about everything listed as cult can easily be described by older, clearer categories like sci-fi, horror, comedy, "art," musical, etc etc etc.

maybe i just hate the idea of a "cult" category because it&#39;s so closely tied to "camp" and "kitsch," and to robot puppets making snickering remarks about anything that looks old and cheap. further reading on what "camp" is-- http://www.jahsonic.com/Camp.html

technically, though, i have to agree that cult by definition means it has a small following. if it&#39;s popular, it isn&#39;t "cult." i don&#39;t consider that nitpicking-- when was the last time you&#39;ve heard of a cult comprising the majority? if a cult is not a small minority, it ceases to be a cult. for example, "Pulp Fiction" is automatically excluded because of the high level awards it won and the truckloads of money it raked in.

the idea of cult just confuses people because it fails to define itself clearly, aside from the single criterion of being unpopular.

3. Movies & TV   -   #63
    BANNED
    technically, though, i have to agree that cult by definition means it has a small following. if it&#39;s popular, it isn&#39;t "cult." i don&#39;t consider that nitpicking-- when was the last time you&#39;ve heard of a cult comprising the majority? if a cult is not a small minority, it ceases to be a cult. for example, "Pulp Fiction" is automatically excluded because of the high level awards it won and the truckloads of money it raked in.
    Umm..i dont know about that mate.Myself,i would class pulp ficion as a "cult classic".Maybe we could redefine "cult classic" to "a small devoted following".

4. Movies & TV   -   #64
    Originally posted by ck-uk@30 September 2003 - 21:04
    Umm..i dont know about that mate.Myself,i would class pulp ficion as a "cult classic".Maybe we could redefine "cult classic" to "a small devoted following".
    Ahhh but as he 3RA1N1AC said, there is nothing small about Pulp Fiction.
    People call something cult classic sometimes just because it&#39;s highly original or weird (Pulp Fiction was highly original).
    They also call it cult when it starts a new genre.

And no 3RA1N1AC what I mean is just what I said.
    Cult classic on this thread is Name A Movie You Liked.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Movies & TV   -   #65
    pulp fiction is definitely a cult classic. its not fair to say that a cult by default has a small audience. its much better to define cult as a genre of movies that isn&#39;t mainsteam, the kind of movies that were not made with demographic data and graphs in mind [eg; italian job...can&#39;t get more mainstream than that], the kind of movies that were not designed to be block-busters.

successful that pulp fiction was, i don&#39;t think QT was writing it in consultation with experts on fan data or whatever you call it.

in my opinion, cult are those movies that weren&#39;t aimed at mainstream masses, but made it to them on account of their originality and innovation, or probably plain shock-value, none of it deliberately inserted into the movie.

edit - Terry Gilliam&#39;s works are better than most others i have seen.

And busyman, stop trying to define for us what cult is. the reason cult is vague is cause not even the flim-makers know what they are making when they are making it, in terms of genre. that&#39;s the best part about it.

6. Movies & TV   -   #66
    Poster
    Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
    The object of such devotion.
    An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.

It just means movies with a cult like following let it go already everyone has their own opinions.

7. Movies & TV   -   #67
    Originally posted by thacowboy3@30 September 2003 - 23:53

And busyman, stop trying to define for us what cult is. the reason cult is vague is cause not even the flim-makers know what they are making when they are making it, in terms of genre. that&#39;s the best part about it.
    Okay then my bad really
    Let&#39;s continue

Air Force One and Clear and Present Danger those are a good cult classics starring Harrison Ford. I loved those movies.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Movies & TV   -   #68
    in my view cult classics can be of any genre and we all have our tastes. There is so many genres and some are actually 2 genres in one, like sci fi horror, and action comedy to name 2. Take the cult classic airplane, some say it plain comedy(pardon the pun), but some say it an action comedy. Another is jaws, horror, or action horror, i go for the latter, but my friend say it almost an horror. we all make up our own minds what some films genre&#39;s are, and some can actually be in more than 1. Take independence day, that is sci fi action , not just plain sci fi. Hence why we have now, action comedy, action thriller, sci fi action, and action horror. There is really no such thing as 1 genre now for a film, because most are a mix of 2.

9. Movies & TV   -   #69
    Air Force One and Clear and Present Danger those are a good cult classics starring Harrison Ford. I loved those movies.
    now that&#39;s an actor..he hasn&#39;t looked back since star wars and indiana jones, has he??

10. Movies & TV   -   #70
    i prefer harrison ford in the star wars and the indiana jones films, but he has been in some other good movies. some of my favourite actors are from the past. but some of my favourites are basil rathbone(the only real sherlock holmes ever), james cagney, and clint eastwood.
    Clint i like best though in the old spaghetti westerns like the good the bad and the ugly, or as dirty harry. Dirty harry and the good the bad and the ugly are in my cult classics.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast