Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free binaries at cheapernews.com this week

Poster BT Rep: +1
    delete
    Last edited by freeinvites; 05-16-2010 at 07:45 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    im sure many will;
    why do you ask ?
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by freeinvites View Post
    Is anyone going to sign up for their service? It's $8 per month, unlimited, on a monthly plan.
    Best price I've seen so far.
    Since this a very new company I would rather just watch them for a few months and see how they do. A lot of new companies jump in with fantastic prices, immediately get a lot of customers aboard, and then are forced to either raise prices or cut service (or both) because they're operating at a loss.

Maybe these low prices are just "teaser" rates, and they're alreasy planning to increase prices gradually starting next month.

As for the prepaid yearly price, I think it would be very foolish to pay for a full year to a company that has been in operation for less than a month.

Another point: Someone has been going around the internet registering at forums and claiming to be a customer of Cheapernews. These "one-hit-wonders" are usually shills - especially when newly-registered members immediately start plugging a company no one has ever heard of before. It has me worried -- whether or not this company Cheapernews can be trusted if they are resorting to gutter tactics like this.

The last usenet provider I've seen do this kind of fake-customer shilling was UseneXt -- and we all know how crooked they turned out to be.
    Last edited by zot; 07-02-2009 at 10:48 PM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Remember that the accounts might have unlimited bandwidth but it the speed you can reach is limited, as it shows on the signup page. Theoretically if it has a speed cap then it is not an unlimited account, if you were to leave it downloading constantly for a month at the full speed the plan allows then that would be the bandwidth limit (probably a couple TB but it is still not unlimited since you'd never be able to download more than that).
    Last edited by UsenetGuy; 07-02-2009 at 11:33 PM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    dutchmaster420's Avatar God's Son
    Astraweb replied back telling me to send results of a traceroute to them and cheapenews which i just did...will let you guys know when i hear back

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    This is awesome $8 monthly, I am sold

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by dfsadsadsa View Post
    This is awesome $8 monthly, I am sold
    I am NOT!

I've seen a lot of usenet providers (resellers) over the last few years come online with prices that beat everyone else. As it turned out - none were a bargain.

Light users might not have a problem, but cut-rate providers often resort to throttling the heavy downloaders or kicking them off. That's what users reported about 100 Proof News, which was once the cheapest of the cheap providers (but it's no longer in operation today).

Megabitz was another reseller that came out with the lowest prices to be found. Users who bought their long-term plans were sorry they ever did - the service soon stopped working and didn't even answer emails.

Keep in mind that many of these new companies have zero experience in the usenet business -- or any other business.

Personally, I steer clear of new companies because I've seen too many people get burned by them, again and again.

But if you like to gamble, then go ahead and throw your money in this slot machine and pull the lever -- maybe you'll get lucky ... or not.

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    JustDOSE's Avatar look at my meatwad
    ssl doesn't work. but it maxes me out, thanks for this
    Pimpn aint easy ®

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    Is this working for anyone else? It's been couple of days that I can't connect.

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    naw, it was a week only test
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast