Thread: Best idea a tracker ever had?

beethoven's Avatar Poster
    best: account parking
    worst: ratioless tracker

2. BitTorrent   -   #62
    Zip's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by beethoven View Post
    worst: ratioless tracker
    Why do you think so? A ratiofree tracker both helps and improves the activity on the site astonishingly (at least the one I'm on).

Quote Originally Posted by Intr4ns1t View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brento View Post
    The guy who's idea it was to go ratioless obviously didn't know what a great idea he had or else he would have copyrighted it.

What kind of pirate would he be then though?
    Don't be so sure it was a pirate who came up with it.
    Last edited by Zip; 08-08-2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. BitTorrent   -   #63
    beethoven's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Why do you think so? A ratiofree tracker both helps and improves the activity on the site astonishingly (at least the one I'm on).
    as far as i have experienced, ratioless usually comes with a rule like 'seed for 72 hours', with as a result that older torrents are bad seeded.

I may be wrong, and maybe it's perfect for some, but i haven't seen the advantages over a tracker with ratio

4. BitTorrent   -   #64
    Zip's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by beethoven View Post
    as far as i have experienced, ratioless usually comes with a rule like 'seed for 72 hours', with as a result that older torrents are bad seeded.

I may be wrong, and maybe it's perfect for some, but i haven't seen the advantages over a tracker with ratio
    It variates from tracker to tracker (like everything else in the world variates). The bad seeded part is true on some well known 0day trackers, but that's not the case on a tracker I know. No seedingrules exist but yet members keeps seeding their files for months, and some members even for years.
    Last edited by Zip; 08-08-2009 at 10:09 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #65
    KushBlow's Avatar Zen BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    I also think the users and staff play a big role in accomplishing this. If you have friendly staff, dedicated users and few/none rotten apples this works greatly in it's favor. And the "tracker you know" has succeeded in this.

6. BitTorrent   -   #66
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Funnily enough, in 2007 sometime, i made a staff thread saying we should try ratio free, lets just say most of the staff thought I was mad, torrents would die overnight, everyone would hit and run, members only seeded for PU/SPU (well saying as though we got rid of those and have not seen a drawback in the above, that was rubbish) etc etc.

But as you know, we never actually went for it, even though I wanted to (and i still think it will work, but we have other plans now)

7. BitTorrent   -   #67
    brento's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    Funnily enough, in 2007 sometime, i made a staff thread saying we should try ratio free, lets just say most of the staff thought I was mad, torrents would die overnight, everyone would hit and run, members only seeded for PU/SPU (well saying as though we got rid of those and have not seen a drawback in the above, that was rubbish) etc etc.

But as you know, we never actually went for it, even though I wanted to (and i still think it will work, but we have other plans now)
    IMHO, I don't think it would be a great idea on your tracker Stoi. You guys got tons of super-rare stuff there (a good bit of which id down to 1-3 seeders) and I feel like a large number of seeds would be gone if you would switch to ratioless.
    In other words, why fix what isn't broken? Your SP system is awesome.

8. BitTorrent   -   #68
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    I believe a well fleshed out bonus system to encourage seeding could make it possible for older torrents to survive on ratioless trackers.

9. BitTorrent   -   #69
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Well, we would have kept the SP system and the hit and run script, we just would have not shown up and down ratios (which would be the easiest to code atm lolcompared to these achievement tables.)

10. BitTorrent   -   #70
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    You need to keep ratios lol, users will stay on torrents longer to increase epeen!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567