View Poll Results: Should the k-lite forum have a radio station, for EVERYONE to try out?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's a great way for people to get to know each other and have fun.

56 76.71%
  • Yes, but if the creators of the old idea come up with a server and are ready to go then they can take over.

8 10.96%
  • No, I don't think it would work very well.

6 8.22%
  • No, I prefer to wait wait until the original creators come up with a server and a concept.

3 4.11%
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Kl Radio

4play's Avatar knob jockey
    hehe well umm like I said before the idea is not really to have a 24/7 radio - just some events here and there - maybe once a week or so - I don't know depends on a lot of things and don't worry we just play around to see how it works / find the best settings and stuff - if there is another radio this idea just dies
    setting up one using your server would not be stepping on toes as far as i can see, before we used to have a couple of people running there own stations so why not just have everyone on one.

2. Lounge   -   #62
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    setting up one using your server would not be stepping on toes as far as i can see, before we used to have a couple of people running there own stations so why not just have everyone on one.
    Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@29 September 2003 - 16:43

But make a DJ Application.See what Time Zones they can work it....what they would like to Play and some peronal Questions about how much they Love Music.I had a Application already made up along time ago with all this.
    Now you already got me back into this shit.....brb with the proper Paper Work.

And hey get that KLF Radio Chat Room going again on IRC like we had.

3. Lounge   -   #63
    CrumbCat's Avatar Cachaça or Cachaça
    Yes, I agree 100%

Please, if this becomes reality, do not let just anybody be the host / DJ.

A little research and reading in Musicworld should shed some light on who is and who is not a music connoisseur. If it is limited to just a few hours on the weekend, there should be no problem finding qualified members to assist.

This reply (or lack thereof) has been brought to you as a courtesy of CrumbCat.
    © Copyright 2003 by CrumbCat, all rights reserved.

4. Lounge   -   #64
    CrumbCat's Avatar Cachaça or Cachaça
    UKMan's posted topic (the full topic and responses can be found HERE) from 23 May, 2003:

Originally posted by UKMan@23 May 2003 - 06:37
    Howdy folks 
    The Mods have allowed us to have a sticky here for those who have or are thinking of having SHOUTcast or any other Radio broadcasts.

Just write your Link, the time of sending and also content if possible - this sticky will allways be visible for all to see.
    Try to keep the questions as little as possible so as not to clutter this thread up too much.

Suggestions for making this even better are of course welcome 

Also, make reservations for local times:
    GMT is the easiest to understand.
    Scandinavia is GMT+1

Please make your times in respect of GMT

Here is a small explanation of what you need and how to go about setting it up:

First off, SHOUTcast suggest using WinAmp as the player.
    The 2 apps to broadcast you need are:

shoutcast server 1.9.2 windows.exe
    shoutcast dsp 1.8.2b windows.exe

Both to be found here: SHOUTcast

The 2 files are the "Server" and "DJ" ones

Good documentation can be found here: Documentation

To setup these two apps:

* First install both apps and make a shortcut to the desktop for the server part. This makes it easier to fire it up when needed. The DJ app is installed as a plugin for WinAmp.
    * When you have WinAmp open - press ctrl + P to open up the configuration.
    * Click on the "Plugins/DSP effect" tab.
    * Mark the "Nullsoft SHOUTcast Source DSP v1.8.2b" line.
    * This will open up  another small window called "SHOUTcast source"

This is how you configure how to send.

Click on the "Output" tab
    Open up the "Yellow Pages" tab
    Make sure "Make this public" is marked.
    Fill in your description - mine is UKMan's KLF Radio
    URL = localhost
    Genre - that is what type of stuff are you sending
    AIM - n/a
    ICQ - 0
    IRC - #shoutcast

Now click on the "Connection" tab
    adress = localhost
    Port - 8000
    Password - (dont touch that for now) its configured via the ini file.
    Encoder - 1

Now click on the "Encoder" tab
    Make sure MP3 Encoder is chosen
    Set up your bitrate:
    Try first anything from 96 - 128 kbps/44.100kHz Stereo

This is the bitrate you will be sending - it has nothing to do with the bitrates of your tracks!!

Now you can close the "Winamp Preferences" window behind. This should leave you with the WinAmp player and the SHOUTcast Source window.

Make sure your playlist is loaded in WinAmp

Fire up the server (from the shortcut on your desktop)
    Start playing your playlist.

Then wait for about 5 minutes untill the SHOUTcast server recieves all your data and starts broadcasting.

The address for people to link to you is like this:
    Code:
    http://yp.shoutcast.com/directory/?s=your description
    The SHOUTcast server takes about 2 - 5 minutes before your link is visible. so be patient.

Make sure you are sending data by looking at the "Main" tab on the SHOUTcast Source window.
    Now you can minimize the server window and start enjoying your own broadcast.

Good luck and if you have any questions, just ask

Finally - shut down all other apps (SoulSeek/Kazaa and other mind bogglingly system resource hogs) - otherwise your listeners will have to "buffer" your broadcast - and that sux big time 

Peace
    UKMan
    Too bad he is not around the forum any longer.....

It would be great to get this going again.

This reply (or lack thereof) has been brought to you as a courtesy of CrumbCat.
    © Copyright 2003 by CrumbCat, all rights reserved.

5. Lounge   -   #65
    Ok one last post about that topic from me

1.) The general idea was that everybody is able to start a show - I know the internet since years and do business on net since years and what I found really annoying and disturbing was that all people attack the so called "newbies" or newcomers or whatever. After I did read yet another anti newbie post today I did look for something which could be fun - ALSO for newbies or people that want to give it a try.

2.) The idea was never to have a 24/7 program - it was simply an idea to "connect" the people together and to show that we (the users that know the internet a long time) give newcomers a chance.

I don't think that we need a new radio since we already have a lot of good stations such as di.fm and many others. The concept to allow every interested person to get 1 hour to show off what he / she can was the point of this discussion.

I did a mistake and i did not research if there is / was a similar idea since I as pretty sure that there wasnt one (related to let newcomers broadcast) and thats a thing that i would support from my own pocket since the Pro's can go to di.fm or other pro stations.

For me not the quality counts (at least it didnt with this idea) but connecting people and letting newcomers do what they think "rocks" was the plan. Not 24/7 but maybe for 4 - 5 h per week - each "DJ" for a hour or so.

I am really sorry that i did not research and I will do that in the future BEFORE I post anything since I have no plans to make people mad cause I am the newbie on this board (even if no internet newbie)

6. Lounge   -   #66
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    I think Darkers idea, is better. If we want 'qualified' DJ's then there are plenty of professional radio stations that we can listen to.

7. Lounge   -   #67
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    If one channel works, we could have two, one n00b, and one following FC's wishes, the more the merrier, I say!

8. Lounge   -   #68
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Darker@29 September 2003 - 17:07
    Ok one last post about that topic from me

1.) The general idea was that everybody is able to start a show - I know the internet since years and do business on net since years and what I found really annoying and disturbing was that all people attack the so called "newbies" or newcomers or whatever. After I did read yet another anti newbie post today I did look for something which could be fun - ALSO for newbies or people that want to give it a try.

2.) The idea was never to have a 24/7 program - it was simply an idea to "connect" the people together and to show that we (the users that know the internet a long time) give newcomers a chance.

I don't think that we need a new radio since we already have a lot of good stations such as di.fm and many others. The concept to allow every interested person to get 1 hour to show off what he / she can was the point of this discussion.

For me not the quality counts (at least it didnt with this idea) but connecting people and letting newcomers do what they think "rocks" was the plan. Not 24/7 but maybe for 4 - 5 h per week - each "DJ" for a hour or so.
    So basically this is for a NOOB to tell us about him or herself.Hmmmm....I like this.We can do call ins and ask them Personal Questions like.....

Do you Prefer Goats or Sheep?

9. Lounge   -   #69
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Ok, that is true, but Darker made it work and has proven to be reliable in providing a service. He gets my vote.

10. Lounge   -   #70
    Nope the idea is to give a newcomer a chance and people can vote if they want him again or not

And no no talking about himself - a better idea would be to have topics like the ones that i posted before.

My personal point is that a newcomer will never have a chance to broadcast on a 1000 MBit line to show off what he can do.

If a pro wants to stream and he / she is really a pro then he / she can simply apply at a known station and they will love to give him / her "on air" time.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast