Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PeerBlock Program

Blackbeard's Avatar <3 rock BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeCandy View Post
    Pretty much useless IMHO. It's supposed to block IP addresses from the RIAA, MPAA, and others like that.

But just think about it for a second. Even if it managed to block all IP addresses from every RIAA building and facility in the world (which seems rather far fetched), what prevents the RIAA investigator from going home and getting on his residential high speed internet account and monitoring IP's sharing copyrighted material? That's right, absolutely nothing.

Then you must consider the unintended opposite effect. While trying to block these large blocks of "bad" IP addresses, how many good or benign IP addresses are getting blocked by mistake?

It's sort of like snake oil. It might make you feel better, but it really doesn't do much good..
    True, but it does help and filter them out every protection is better than nothing..
    -

Anyways yea good thing too once I get a new video card I'm going to windows 7.. so I would like something like pg2 to work on it.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    beethoven's Avatar Poster
    are they really after all the individual peers? or the people running the sites?

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by beethoven View Post
    are they really after all the individual peers?
    Some lawyers and their snitches are, to send you 'warnings' and 'settlements'.

or the people running the sites?
    Which is the task for professionals with more skill and time per case.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Poster BT Rep: +4
    [QUOTE=NA_Magus;3267534]
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Martinator View Post

I don't know how effective this might be but I doubt that residential IPs would be used to catch other users in the act of piracy. It'd be more efficient to say to a court you used your organizations equipment and internet and followed a standardized procedure rather than saying "oh I was just browsing the internets and on this here log are some people who were downloading this file... oh that IP is mine, but don't worry, I wasn't downloading it."

Of course I could just be wrong. :s
    That sort of thinking is fallacy, for the mere fact, the way the law works. Any file they would be downloading, is owned by a client they are representing. Or the law doesn't look at that, the exact same way the DEA makes bust by making a 'buy' from drug dealers.....

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    QPD's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Some of the latest blocks came up from Apple Computers and AMC Theaters. I know that there are still holes in the security of all BT systems, but an added level of protection (I believe) is better than not having it.

I have not had problems with my speeds.

The bottom line for me- I don't want to be the slowest water buffalo when the lions come.
    +1

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    I'm rather skeptical about these kinds of programs - if the government or RIAA or whatever really wants to nab you - I think its easy to find ways around or circumvent these programs. And in reality, no government will go after petty users like us. Cut the head off the snake, thats why being in the scene is so risky.

The worst that can happen (and it still has yet to happen to me, even when I used public trackers or demonoid), is getting a notice from your ISP. And alot of that seems to happen for just released CAM's or things like that early release of xmen.

IMO its like a placebo, except it can block valid IP's =/
    Last edited by Rart; 08-09-2009 at 10:08 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    . And in reality, no government will go after petty users like us.
    First of all you can't be this naive, second of all, the RIAA/MPAA/SONY is not the government, they are private corporations, as have they have gone after "petty" users....

http://torrentfreak.com/student-hit-...a-case-090731/
    Last edited by EyeCandy; 08-09-2009 at 11:10 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    He used kazaa.

He probably uploaded his own rips, to a publicly available source. Why do you think this doesn't happen to most BT users? Don't upload content, especially to public sharing places. They don't have time to go after everyone one of us.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    There really isn't much to debate here. If people want to use it, they can. It is available for free and does not seem to hurt much, if anything.

If a list like this was built into every BT client, then there could be problems for those who had the misfortune of being on the "black list". As it stands, only a small portion of the community seem to be using it.

For the most part, PeerBlock has continually refused connections with same servers. So far, I have only seen 10-15 unique names. If these are being blocked erroneously,the end effect to the down-loader should be minimal. There are a lot of seeds on the sites I am currently connected to.

I cannot imagine large corporations going through the effort of setting up servers, to "infiltrate" private sites, and seed their own products (or those of their clients) endlessly without some end game in mind.

Perhaps they are only collecting data to see how many units of their product(s) are being distributed. That would be the most benign possibility. They could also be collecting data so they can report how much "damage" is being done to their companies. As more information is collected, we could see these numbers being used against our community of file-sharers and as a reason to limit free use of the internet.

Regardless, I personally believe that limiting information about ourselves and our community is always a plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    He used kazaa.

He probably uploaded his own rips, to a publicly available source. Why do you think this doesn't happen to most BT users? Don't upload content, especially to public sharing places. They don't have time to go after everyone one of us.

Read the article, he's just now going to court, but he used Kazaa FIVE years ago in 2004, when it was popular, even then he was only sharing 30 songs. I'm pretty sure you used Kazaa or some variation of it(WinMx) five years ago. And its easier to get caught in the BT World, then in the P2P world, I can turn sharing off in P2P, and just download. But, seeding is essentially part of the bittorrent protocol....
    Last edited by EyeCandy; 08-10-2009 at 02:12 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12