Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zone Alarm Pro

There is nothing wrong with either ZA or Sygate. I have used them both and I prefer ZA because, for me, it is easer to work with. Its my understanding that firewalls all do pretty much the same thing. The only one I have ever had trouble with is Outpost. For some reason it will not install on my machine. It is the only program (firewall or otherwise) that has give me the blue screen of death on this computer.

You should check out clocker's link to the Shields Up test, as that is an impartial third party test that is well put together and quite thorough.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Just for grins I ran the Sygate test from Nikita's link with ZA.

Aced it.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@14 October 2003 - 00:00
    Silver Dales,

My limited experience is with ZA Pro only, so I am unable to compare/contrast it with any other app.

It is very easy to use and I achieved a perfect stealth rating here, at Shields Up! for whatever that is worth...
    i have no firewall software installed - only a wireless router.

i've aced all security tests - no one can touch me er even ping me (am i beggin 2 b hacked?). no stupid software boggin my system down either.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    I think that you are protected by an impenatrable wall of Madonna songs...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@14 October 2003 - 01:04
    I think that you are protected by an impenatrable wall of Madonna songs...
    oh my lmao! i almost died from choking and laughing so hard.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by kurtsl0an+13 October 2003 - 19:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kurtsl0an @ 13 October 2003 - 19:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@14 October 2003 - 00:00
    Silver Dales,

My limited experience is with ZA Pro only, so I am unable to compare/contrast it with any other app.

It is very easy to use and I achieved a perfect stealth rating here, at Shields Up&#33; for whatever that is worth...
    i have no firewall software installed - only a wireless router.

i&#39;ve aced all security tests - no one can touch me er even ping me (am i beggin 2 b hacked?). no stupid software boggin my system down either. [/b][/quote]
    Maybe you are protected from outside attacks but what is stopping any communication from software you install? A lot of companies are now adding &#39;phone home&#39; features to their products.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    i stop them by not installing crap software.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@13 October 2003 - 18:10

Maybe you are protected from outside attacks but what is stopping any communication from software you install? A lot of companies are now adding &#39;phone home&#39; features to their products.
    Abtrusion.

Stops ET from phoning home.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    I havent used ZA pro, but I have used the regular version, as well as the sygate- which is still on my system, whereas the ZA isnt. First off, ZA does NOT uninstall well on my machine. I know that this is prolly one of those locallized events that I was the unlucky one to have, but this is what happened: ZA started blocking me on just about every single thing that went out onto the net. I messed with it, and messed with it, and messed with it, and I still couldnt surf, read email, nada. It locked me inside a cage&#33; So I uninstalled it. It didnt uninstall. It removed itself from my start menu, it removed itself from my programs list, and it removed all of its icons, but it was still there. AND STILL BLOCKING ME. I had to format to get the darn thing outta my comp.
    So I tried Sygate. I like it. Granted, it&#39;s not for the absolute novice, and my paranoid butt has it set to warn me of each and every DLL that wants access to the net before it lets it out. But, it gives a TON less false alarms. Actually, been using it for three months, and not a single false yet. But like a good lil watch dog, that load every dll feature has kept IE from loading some malware scripts imbedded in a page or two, and blocks in Real One, when it wants to go out talking to the home server.

And in answer to what somebody posted...no offense, I was reading and forgot to memorize who posted it; not all firewalls do the same thing. I wish I had a link to give, with results and tests and all of that, but I dont.
    Some firewalls hide the entire IP from hackers, crackers, and script kiddies. Some hide everything that is behind the IP from said above. There are other types too, but I&#39;m too tired to accurately remember how they work.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    I use ZA Pro v4.0

Don&#39;t know from Sygate

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast