Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I Connect To Computers By A Usb Cord?

sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Connect them via serial or parallel ports if you don't have an ethernet connection.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Serial and parallel are supposedly very, very slow although I don't know from experience.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    they are, yes.
    But if you don't have any other way...it beats buying stuff.
    Of course, you could use some CD-RW discs & just burn/copy back & forth.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    You will have to shop around for the cable and software you need, but it is certainly possible (and very easy once you've got the stuff). I've seen the software and connector bundled with some MSI motherboards, but other than that I don't know where to get it.

The important thing to remember with the cable is that you must not join the power connectors, so it is important to get the right ones.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    RJ45=ethernet port jacks - so yes, and ethernet cable will work. if ur going 2 plug in from puter 2 puter, u need 2 make sure the cable is a crossover cable (pins r reversed).

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by kurtsl0an@20 October 2003 - 09:53
    RJ45=ethernet port jacks - so yes, and ethernet cable will work. if ur going 2 plug in from puter 2 puter, u need 2 make sure the cable is a crossover cable (pins r reversed).
    Read the question. He want's to use USB not ethernet.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    like lynx said you need a special cable called a USB bridge cable and some software

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h363.htm

if you're willing to spend $30 or more on something like this, feel free. you may as well just buy ethernet cards though, since they're actually designed for networking and they don't cost anymore than this device which sounds about as reliable as two paper cups on a string.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    yeah its only good if installing the network cards is gonna be a problem. (though i did a brief check and there are cables cheaper than $20)

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster
    never even knew that cable existed, but at that crappy speed - i wouldn't use it anyway. most pc's 2day come with an onboard NIC - 5 bucks 4 a crossover cable - but, as lynx so eliquantly put, he wants 2 use his usb so whateva.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12