Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Whats Better Athalon Or Pentium?

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    well, in one case, with exact same components, vd card, memory, and everything are the same, amd's tend to do similar to p4's, but the amd's have to be oced to perform the same in benchmarks like 3dmark or aquamark. yes, amd's are very cheap, but like someone said up there, u have to buy good support parts, like mobo and ram, to back up the ocing of the amd so that it'll match the power of a p4. but the p4 is more expensive, although u don't ahve to spend that much on support parts like mobo and ram. so i would say that THEY'RE BOTH THE SAME!!!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #52
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@2 November 2003 - 00:07
    well, in one case, with exact same components, vd card, memory, and everything are the same, amd's tend to do similar to p4's, but the amd's have to be oced to perform the same in benchmarks like 3dmark or aquamark. yes, amd's are very cheap, but like someone said up there, u have to buy good support parts, like mobo and ram, to back up the ocing of the amd so that it'll match the power of a p4. but the p4 is more expensive, although u don't ahve to spend that much on support parts like mobo and ram. so i would say that THEY'RE BOTH THE SAME!!!!
    One word. Bullshit.

You do not have to overclock the AMD Athlon XP. Learn this.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #53
    Originally posted by Lamsey+2 November 2003 - 00:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey &#064; 2 November 2003 - 00:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@2 November 2003 - 00:07
    well, in one case, with exact same components, vd card, memory, and everything are the same, amd&#39;s tend to do similar to p4&#39;s, but the amd&#39;s have to be oced to perform the same in benchmarks like 3dmark or aquamark. yes, amd&#39;s are very cheap, but like someone said up there, u have to buy good support parts, like mobo and ram, to back up the ocing of the amd so that it&#39;ll match the power of a p4. but the p4 is more expensive, although u don&#39;t ahve to spend that much on support parts like mobo and ram. so i would say that THEY&#39;RE BOTH THE SAME&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    One word. Bullshit.

You do not have to overclock the AMD Athlon XP. Learn this. [/b][/quote]
    yea, i know u don&#39;t need to oc. but performance with exact same parts tend to be somewhat lower than the p4. and price wise, if u look at the BIG picture, prices are similar.

this discussion is getting a little heated up. who wants a beer?

ok, lamsey, ur the hardware mod, so i won&#39;t argue with u. i have no grudge against amds. ok? so i&#39;ll shut up bout how good p4&#39;s are. ok?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #54
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Bullshit again, abu_has_no_power ???

A XP 2400+ and a P4 2.4 with the same setup will perform almost identically.

Not overclocking.

Some benchmarks will show the P4 ahead.
    and some will show the XP 2400+ ahead.

It depends on what strenths are being tested by the benchmarks.

So one again, abu.

You obviously have no idea what your talking about.
    Don&#39;t post if you don&#39;t know what you&#39;re posting about.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #55
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@2 November 2003 - 00:12
    yea, i know u don&#39;t need to oc. but performance with exact same parts tend to be somewhat lower than the p4. and price wise, if u look at the BIG picture, prices are similar.

this discussion is getting a little heated up. who wants a beer?

ok, lamsey, ur the hardware mod, so i won&#39;t argue with u. i have no grudge against amds. ok? so i&#39;ll shut up bout how good p4&#39;s are. ok?
    I&#39;m not the hardware mod, I just happen to post here. However, anyone with any idea about hardware will be able to tell you that what you&#39;re posting is utter codswallop.

Don&#39;t post unless you know what you&#39;re talking about and can provide evidence. If you do post rubbish like that, it misleads people who are looking for genuine information.

And it takes a lot more than spouting bull about processors to get me pissed off, mate, but I&#39;ll take a Morgan&#39;s and Coke if you&#39;re offering.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #56
    Originally posted by Lamsey+2 November 2003 - 00:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 2 November 2003 - 00:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@2 November 2003 - 00:12

this discussion is getting a little heated up. who wants a beer? &nbsp;

I&#39;m not the hardware mod, I just happen to post here. However, anyone with any idea about hardware will be able to tell you that what you&#39;re posting is utter codswallop.

Don&#39;t post unless you know what you&#39;re talking about and can provide evidence. If you do post rubbish like that, it misleads people who are looking for genuine information.

And it takes a lot more than spouting bull about processors to get me pissed off, mate, but I&#39;ll take a Morgan&#39;s and Coke if you&#39;re offering. [/b][/quote]
    ok. i just don&#39;t think people should say amd is better than p4, and now, i&#39;m convinced that p4&#39;s arn&#39;t tat much different than amds. now, let&#39;s c, i got coke, miller lite, barcardi, and some left over apple juice. let&#39;s all have a party&#33; :beerchug:

7. Software & Hardware   -   #57
    utter codswallop.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #58
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    i just don&#39;t think people should say amd is better than p4
    We didn&#39;t say it was better. We just said it&#39;s less expensive for similar performance.

now, let&#39;s c, i got coke, miller lite, barcardi, and some left over apple juice. let&#39;s all have a party&#33;
    You want to party? Go to the lounge.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #59
    scribblec's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@2 November 2003 - 01:14
    i just don&#39;t think people should say amd is better than p4
    We didn&#39;t say it was better. We just said it&#39;s less expensive for similar performance.

now, let&#39;s c, i got coke, miller lite, barcardi, and some left over apple juice. let&#39;s all have a party&#33;
    You want to party? Go to the lounge.
    well said

so my amd is good then

cos i only got it cos it was cheaper with the computer deal.i actually did want a pentium cos it seemed much more like it was better but i just neva had the money which for once is a good thing

10. Software & Hardware   -   #60
    Poster
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@2 November 2003 - 01:07
    well, in one case, with exact same components, vd card, memory, and everything are the same, amd&#39;s tend to do similar to p4&#39;s, but the amd&#39;s have to be oced to perform the same in benchmarks like 3dmark or aquamark. yes, amd&#39;s are very cheap, but like someone said up there, u have to buy good support parts, like mobo and ram, to back up the ocing of the amd so that it&#39;ll match the power of a p4. but the p4 is more expensive, although u don&#39;t ahve to spend that much on support parts like mobo and ram. so i would say that THEY&#39;RE BOTH THE SAME&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    That&#39;s a crock of shit,or should I say utter codswallop (shit i laughed when I read that).My notherboard is basically bottom of the line,not even offered for sale anymore from SHuttle,I am running generic ram and my system work pretty much flawlessly when it is overclocked or even when it is not overclocked.In total I paid &#036;90(CPU),&#036;80(ram),&#036;80(mobo) canadian with my 15% sales tax included.so that comes to a whopping &#036;195 American for all three.That is super cheap ,I checked around on the web and the prices I saw for a P4 1.8ghz CPU(closest equivalent to my CPU clock speed wise) was &#036;145 American + shipping so that would leave you with about 35 bucks for a mobo and ram.Good luck.For the difference in price I could have upgraded to an XP 2500+.
    Do you see where we are going with the price and performance debate.
    Sure intels are good,maybe great performers but that is if you have all kinds of money to throw around or if you buy what the older folks tell you to buy because they are still mislead by the old "AMD&#39;s are garbage,they burn up yadaa yadaa yadaa".
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast