Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple sucks, don't succumb to iRape

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Cheap simply brings more choices, and the ability to do more that matters to you (extra projects around the house).
    That's what we are doing, and I am literally scrambling to get the best deals on every single item so that we can get these major renovations done. I'm freakin' swamped.
    Botched quote or over my head?

2. Lounge   -   #32
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

3. Lounge   -   #33
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    I have two rules when thinking of buying new technology: don't buy it until it's been out at least a few years (the time it takes to iron out the kinks), and then pore over Which? magazine to get the best model for me. I seem to remember Creative came out on top on price and value for money last time I bought an MP3 player and that's why I bought a Zen XFi, but I would get an Apple product if it rated well. Most of the anti-Apple brigade are just contrarians who believe they are purer and more whole human beings when separating themselves from mere mortals and do not wish to sedate themselves with 'the opiates of the masses'. Sometimes they ponder on their individuality as they sit on tube trains listening to RATM loudly on their non-Apple MP3 players, sneaking furtive, hopeful glances at the women sat in the carriage also, wondering if these women have any idea they are sat right next to greatness. They don't though, because all they see is a pathetic scrawny web designer with bad tattoos on his puny arms, wanking over his own brilliance.
    To be fair, that mindset describes Mac fanatics perfectly, too. The "Window lickers" just happened to adopt it after years of constantly hearing the "MacNuggets perpetual hyperbole.

How have you been, btw. I hope well.

-doobs
    Last edited by brotherdoobie; 03-27-2011 at 05:42 AM.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by brotherdoobie View Post
    To be fair, that mindset describes Mac fanatics perfectly, too. The "Window lickers" just happened to adopt it after years of constantly hearing the "MacNuggets perpetual hyperbole.

How have you been, btw. I hope well.

-doobs
    Afternoon hunny x
    Well in the body if not well in the head. You know how it is!

5. Lounge   -   #35

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    To quote the splendid current iadvert

If you don't have an iphone how the fuck can we trace your every move!

Or something like that.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. Lounge   -   #37
    If that worries you, then you probably don't want to read this, or put the mac address of your wifi router into here.

Alternatively if you think that it might be quite a nice feature to have your phone show you how to get somewhere, or even locate where you are when you're lost, read it in the knowledge that without infrastructure like this, all those things become much less accurate and much more prone to error.
    Last edited by NotLettingItGo; 04-30-2011 at 09:21 PM.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by rejectOfAllah View Post
    If that worries you, then you probably don't want to read this, or put the mac address of your wifi router into here.

Alternatively if you think that it might be quite a nice feature to have your phone show you how to get somewhere, or even locate where you are when you're lost, read it in the knowledge that without infrastructure like this, all those things become much less accurate and much more prone to error.
    My phone is not that smart so it doesn't bother me overly. It does rather seem though that our technology is a two edged sword if in the wrong hands.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Doesn't matter how smart your phone is, the network provider can pinpoint you down to about 10 metres anyway. That's how the emergency services know where you are should you ever call them on a mobile.

Newer technology is just extending location services to everyone, and of course the only way phone manufacturers can do that (across multiple network providers in multiple countries) is to create their own geo-location system, using cell location, and wifi hotspot locations. Lots of phones come with GPS, but that drains the battery quite quickly, so wifi and cell location systems are far less draining to use. But of course they need a big database of where the cells and wifi hot spots are for it to be able to work. That's all this is. Apple should really change their iPhones to be an opt-in system (like Google), but they're Apple so I wouldn't hold your breath for that. They have already committed to fix the never ending location cache that the iPhone keeps, reducing it down to 7 days. As well as committing to fix other issues with it.

Google maps whips every SatNav systems arse on an Android system, the Apple map system isn't so good for navigation, but has this wonderful compass capability built into it, so it can actually show you which way you're facing on the map. I think it's good stuff.

All technology is a double edged sword, always has been, and always will be.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Especially two edged swords

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast