Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows or Linux

Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by Glaucon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabber View Post

I've been using archlinux for years , it was a great journey . I 've learned a lot of new things , i've changed the look of my desktop many times , tried almost all desktop environments . After this time , you know what i realize ? I just want things to be as simple as possbile

I miss a lot of things from linux , music player daemon , openbox but it takes too much time to configure them to your liking . Honestly i think linux is the future , but because it's free it will take a lot of time to overcome windows usage .

The first thing someone will notice when changing from windows to linux is the ugly fonts , the font antialising is not even close to the windows one . The only way to get good antialising is to use the ubuntu ones and use large fonts in order to be visible enough .
    What you are talking about is very distribution specific. Not sure if you're aware, but ArchLinux is one of the most minimalistic and least simplistic distributions around, it's supposed to be configured from ground zero by the end user. I haven't had any issues with the fonts yet and I really don't think the Windows antialiasing is superior.
    In my opinion if you will use linux , you should get into something more difficult than ubuntu in order to learn something about them . I guess antialising is all about taste , the ubuntu antialising is good but i prefer the general windows user interface

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    In my opinion if you will use linux , you should get into something more difficult than ubuntu in order to learn something about them . I guess antialising is all about taste , the ubuntu antialising is good but i prefer the general windows user interface
    Uhmm, sure, if you want to keep Linux use exclusive to those who know their way around a computer. I wouldn't mind seeing the user base of Linux grow, since application and/or OS-specific development follows the majority share/demand.

I just loaded up kubuntu on my father-in-laws laptop, mostly to prevent him from continuously infecting his computer with viruses. It's not like it's "Windows" easy to use itself. He wouldn't be able to even install mplayer, or basically anything that requires a terminal (termed "konsole" in kde-based ubuntu). So if anything, they need to make it even more user friendly (e.g. downloadable script files for installing programs on debian based systems). If Linux stays niche, you won't get as much development for that platform, lessening the experience for everyone.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Human_Being's Avatar Poster
    Dual boot with windows like i did. Got everthing i wanted working no probs, even learnt a few things i could apply to windows. But from a lazy point of view its just to much of a mission so just format teh linux partition via windows re-extend your windows partition. Dont forget to fixmbr with ya windows cd!
    Perpetual Shitemonger!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Best solution , dual boot windows and linux , when u need gaming or office just boot into windows

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Uhmm, sure, if you want to keep Linux use exclusive to those who know their way around a computer. I wouldn't mind seeing the user base of Linux grow, since application and/or OS-specific development follows the majority share/demand.

I just loaded up kubuntu on my father-in-laws laptop, mostly to prevent him from continuously infecting his computer with viruses. It's not like it's "Windows" easy to use itself. He wouldn't be able to even install mplayer, or basically anything that requires a terminal (termed "konsole" in kde-based ubuntu). So if anything, they need to make it even more user friendly (e.g. downloadable script files for installing programs on debian based systems). If Linux stays niche, you won't get as much development for that platform, lessening the experience for everyone.
    The thing is, the Linux market is scattered and every distribution has a different philosophy. Few try to follow what Windows established. I think Ubuntu is still relatively easy to learn and anyone would quickly adapt to it, the only reason it feels weird is because most are used to Windows.

And there's really no need for installing via the terminal, you have the "software center" or whatever it's called. It's just fine for the average user.

Best solution , dual boot windows and linux , when u need gaming or office just boot into windows
    Having best of both worlds available is certainly a great thing, but it wouldn't work for me personally for example. Once I boot up, I get a loot of stuff going on and closing that down is simply not an option. A better alternative in my situation is a virtual machine of whichever system you use less. The problem is, gaming in a virtual machine is a no-no. And using a Linux distro in it is just not the same experience, not to mention it'd be silly if you'd do 90% of your stuff in a virtual machine.
    Last edited by Glaucon; 01-12-2012 at 05:50 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    getacX's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    windows, because the games

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    The thing is, the Linux market is scattered and every distribution has a different philosophy. Few try to follow what Windows established. I think Ubuntu is still relatively easy to learn and anyone would quickly adapt to it, the only reason it feels weird is because most are used to Windows.

And there's really no need for installing via the terminal, you have the "software center" or whatever it's called. It's just fine for the average user.
    The age group just above me is not already used to Windows, or smart phones, or operating systems in general. This will go away with time, but it's still an issue and will be for about a few more decades. The mass popularity of computers didn't really take until the mid 90's.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    OO Calc does not offer the same flexibility/usability as MS Excel.

So that's my stance on OO vs. MS.
    yeah calc is a joke

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster BT Rep: +1

The age group just above me is not already used to Windows, or smart phones, or operating systems in general. This will go away with time, but it's still an issue and will be for about a few more decades. The mass popularity of computers didn't really take until the mid 90's.
    Fair point, but we apparently have a different definition of getting used to. I'm usually comfortable with new software in a few weeks, a few months if it's a new OS. And I'll bet there are people that are way faster than this. I know a lot of older people who tell me they aren't able to learn the new tech but on the other hand there's a ton of people in the same age group who managed to do it successfully - it's a matter of interest.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    I dual boot windows 7 and Debian Stable with Awesome wm on my desktop. There really isn't a "best" OS. I use my Windows 7 partition for gaming/torrenting/general browsing and Debian for when I need to be productive things such as programming or school related work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast