Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SciTech, Liquid Metal Batteries

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Since this branches from my field just a bit, I found this rather exciting. The liquid metal battery in which the cathode and anode are both in the liquid phase, and the electrolyte is a molten salt. There has already existed molten salt batteries, so this is not a huge jump in technology, but its operating conditions are quite significant in the terms of storing intermittent energy provided by green sources. It's a small talk, but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.ted.com/talks/donald_sado...le_energy.html
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    That was quite fascinating. Like how he went about solving the problem, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Maybe I'm missing the obvious here, but it doesn't seem like he had an "Aha!" moment. Why has no one in the field decided to separate liquid electrodes by density in the past?
    Ellipses go here.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Cicero View Post
    Maybe I'm missing the obvious here, but it doesn't seem like he had an "Aha!" moment. Why has no one in the field decided to separate liquid electrodes by density in the past?
    They were all too dense.

Last edited by megabyteme; 04-06-2012 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Damn speeling Natzis. :ermm:
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    That would be the only way to do it if you're going all liquid, I don't think many went the direction of all liquid in the past, seeing it as an obstacle rather than a benefit.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    The were all too dense.

Would be a good idea to keep all spelling in order for the purposes of the joke.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post

The were all too dense.

Would be a good idea to keep all spelling in order for the purposes of the joke.
    Out of 5 words, I got 4 spelled correctly. You are a teacher, that' still 80%. Puts me at the upper middle of the class.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post

Out of 5 words, I got 4 spelled correctly. You are a teacher, that' still 80%. Puts me at the upper middle of the class.
    Yeah but the joke was a cliche. So you got a big fat zilch for it. When you average the score from the two categories you end up with a 40%. Puts you solidly under the passing grade.
    Ellipses go here.

9. Lounge   -   #9

Yeah but the joke was a cliche. So you got a big fat zilch for it. When you average the score from the two categories you end up with a 40%. Puts you solidly under the passing grade.
    If we were to delete all the posts on FST with spelling mistakes and/or cliches, there wouldn't be much to read here.

And the drummer gets you a free pass on using cliches.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    I would have turned it into a thing, misspelling cliches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast