Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: History repeating

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post

It made it popular but I don't think it invented the name.
    One I remember studying, from J.M. Barrie's play Peter Pan (1904) it was created from the nickname fwendy. I checked the etymology anyway, there is one other possible source, the name Gwendolyn, normally shortened to Gwen which could be attributed to Wendy 'rarely' .
    I was only trying to say there had to be at least a few Wendy chicks or blokes in existence before 1904. That's just how some names get popularized, through literature, music, or pop culture in general (e.g. Amanda, Shirley, Geraldine). Some are thoroughly invented in said media though (Vanessa, Dorian, Pamela). I'm just saying Wendy is of the former group.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

2. Lounge   -   #82
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post

One I remember studying, from J.M. Barrie's play Peter Pan (1904) it was created from the nickname fwendy. I checked the etymology anyway, there is one other possible source, the name Gwendolyn, normally shortened to Gwen which could be attributed to Wendy 'rarely' .
    I was only trying to say there had to be at least a few Wendy chicks or blokes in existence before 1904. That's just how some names get popularized, through literature, music, or pop culture in general (e.g. Amanda, Shirley, Geraldine). Some are thoroughly invented in said media though (Vanessa, Dorian, Pamela). I'm just saying Wendy is of the former group.
    Please do find a few Wendy chicks and blokes in existence before the play in 1904. The name is a contraction of the nickname fwendy from the play, it is recognised as such, just saying won't change that. I will repeat the only other possible etymological root is Gwendolyn, the normal contraction is Gwen there is also the celtic Gwyneth (-Gwynedd) but thats about it.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

3. Lounge   -   #83
    Please do find a few Wendy chicks and blokes in existence before the play in 1904.
    everybodyknowsitswendy.jpg

4. Lounge   -   #84
    That was just a small cross section, seems like there are thousands of legitimate Wendy folk, i.e. they didn't just change their name after the play. Thank god you didn't ask me to come up with something before there was such a thing as a census.

5. Lounge   -   #85
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    The point is, mjmacky hasn't done anything of any repute yet, so doesn't have the right to make up words. When he writes a book or something he can shove as much of his brain muck in there as he likes. Until then I am placing 'deboard' in linguistic quarantine.

6. Lounge   -   #86
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    The point is, mjmacky hasn't done anything of any repute yet, so doesn't have the right to make up words. When he writes a book or something he can shove as much of his brain muck in there as he likes. Until then I am placing 'deboard' in linguistic quarantine.
    What? Deboard is a word. It's a family name. And that makes it a word. It's not a pragmatic English language word, but it is phonetically accounted for in the English language and many people use it as a proper noun on a regular basis. Deboard is a word like Haha is an onomatopoeic word. For all you know, 20 years in the future Deboard is the name of a president, Ziggy starts using the word as a verb to indicate success in his projects, it manifests as lower social caste slang, and eventually seeps into high culture language, like ballet, but much more woody.

People lost this argument against Macky the minute he sidestepped the definition of "Word".
    Ellipses go here.

7. Lounge   -   #87
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Cicero View Post
    Blah blah blah blah.
    Linguistic quarantine is not negotiable or debateable.

8. Lounge   -   #88
    You know what, I'm going to work "deboard" into my next paper just to spite you. I don't care how much I have to tweak an analogy to warrant the inclusion of a train.

9. Lounge   -   #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Cicero View Post
    Blah blah blah blah.
    Linguistic quarantine is not negotiable or debateable.
    That's very negatable.

10. Lounge   -   #90
    manker's Avatar effendi
    You know, the practice of slapping a negative prefix onto a word to indicate its antonym is particularly frowned upon in linguistic circles. I recently wanted to know the what the opposite to anthropomorphism was. I immediately thought of, and rejected, ananthropomorphism because of the sheer inelegance and settled for zoomorphism instead.

The point is that deboard is such a lazy and inelegant way of expressing this particular action that there is absolutely no chance whatsoever of it gaining widespread acceptance. I looked at it earlier in the thread and thought; 'ew' - without even being aware that it wasn't some kind of official merkin bastardisation of English.
    That's right, it's too shit even for Americans, gut instincts ftw

Also, Dathy lost that argument when he capitalised haha. Proper noun, is it؟
    Last edited by manker; 05-03-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Darthy's somnambulations needed addressing
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast