Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use Plex?

Plex on my file server, app on my phone, cast my media to the TV via a Chromecast. It's pretty effortless. Or at least it will be when they iron the odd bug out - the phone loses touch with the Chromecast session fairly regularly & then I can't pause/rewind any more... it just plays through unless I start a new session from the phone to override it.

Still, it's a world better than sneakernetting a USB stick to the TV, which is what I was doing before. And light years better than burning CD-RWs to ferry to a divx-capable DVD player which I was doing only a couple of years back!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by quack View Post
    Still, it's a world better than sneakernetting a USB stick to the TV, which is what I was doing before. And light years better than burning CD-RWs to ferry to a divx-capable DVD player which I was doing only a couple of years back!
    haha, we come from a similar place!

I've been using Plex for awhile now. Pretty sure they already had the iOS app but not the Android yet.

I really like it because it's good and getting better. I actually just set it up tonight, because I just replaced my main computer. (5 year old i7 Gateway sold with Vista, run with 7 for 4 years, and near death with whatever the current LTS Ubuntu release is. 12.1? ==to==>i7 mac already on mavericks.)

Turns out Im having trouble getting my server to be seen outside of my own network. I had not tried that feature before, so I don't know where the problem lays.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    i use plex with plex media server installed on ubuntu. I prefer this setup because i can browse my media collection remotely too.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Sorry to hijack, but does anyone use plex with a samsung smart tv? I have heaps of problems getting my 'mind of its own' tv to do anything anymore and over watching everything on the laptop.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    noclue,

I don't personally own a smart tv, but two of my friends do and much prefer routing Plex through a computer. They say the smart tv app is not that… well, smart.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Good Program for streaming to Samsung TV

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    I've used both Plex and Subsonic - however, video is quite choppy with subsonic. When using plex video takes a little longer for me to buffer but plays much more smoothly.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledLemur View Post
    I really like it because it's good and getting better. I actually just set it up tonight, because I just replaced my main computer. (5 year old i7 Gateway sold with Vista, run with 7 for 4 years, and near death with whatever the current LTS Ubuntu release is. 12.1? ==to==>i7 mac already on mavericks.)

Turns out Im having trouble getting my server to be seen outside of my own network. I had not tried that feature before, so I don't know where the problem lays.
    Totally agree with you about the "good & getting better" - I threw money at them for a lifetime pass within a month of setting it up because I could see that it was almost exactly what I wanted and was under active development (and the plexpass extras were super useful).

Current Ubuntu LTS is 12.04 which is obviously 2 years old. I'm running all my servers on it and it's fine, but the new release next month with be a LTS too so I'm going to upgrade everything - I'm both excited to move them on and scared about the risk of breaking something important LOL

I know the 'remote access to your server' feature is tied to your plex account & the server needs to be able to login to their site. Also if you've got a VPN active on your server (as I have) then things get very messed up. I either need to setup split-tunnelling (so some traffic goes through the VPN, some directly out) which looks like it's a pig, or build a virtual machine on the server and put the stuff that I want on the VPN onto the virtual machine. For now I'm avoiding the work and putting up with having no remote access.

But if you're saying your new plex server is the mac, I can't help you with that :-)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    i use plex to stream stuff when iam away from home only. At home i still prefer using XBMC.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    Quote Originally Posted by mos-to View Post
    noclue,

I don't personally own a smart tv, but two of my friends do and much prefer routing Plex through a computer. They say the smart tv app is not that… well, smart.
    Agreed. It's actually so bad that it's even an improvement to access your Plex server through an iOS app and then using AirPlay to mirror it to the big screen using an AppleTV.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast