Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Private trackers vs Usenet

https://pay.reddit.com/r/trackers/co...vate_trackers/

I know it's reddit after all, still baffles me this kind of ignorance exists. Not OP's question, but the answers. Worth a laugh to the elder usenet guys at the very least.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Why does that link read pay.reddit.com?

Either way there are a couple of idiots there but also a couple of people I do agree with. I think that's the general sentiment I have from any reddit threads I read.

Some things that I certainly think are valid:

• Better retention of older files.
    • Much better organization scheme for choosing which files you want, ie if I want to download a single episode from a season pack it is incredibly difficult on usenet since the entire season is packed into one set of rars, while on torrents I just simply checkmark which episode I want.
    • It IS free if you want it to be (please don't say "everyone uses a seedbox anyway so usenet ends up being cheaper" because that's flat out false).
    • It's more newbie friendly.

What I dont agree with:

• You have to double/triple download stuff (what? this makes absolutely no sense)
    • Private trackers are easier to get into (I would say it's substantially easier to get into a usenet site)

I can't comment on the automatic downloading though, as I personally don't use that at all.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    pootystomp's Avatar Poster
    Total nonsense, the haters just have never used it. Using ignorance as a defensive strategy is what Reddit is all about. The only downfall in my opinion is servers being susceptible to dmca takedowns. But usually that only effects things that have been posted for a while. Then by all means, use a private tracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post

(I would say it's substantially easier to get into a usenet site)
    you would think the opposite after seeing people on this site constantly bitch about having to do anything.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Why does that link read pay.reddit.com?
    HTTPS workaround, they have issues with ssl certs and their CDNs or something. Here

I wasn't trying to fanboy out, just a lot of what was posted (by norkamus in particular) struck me as wrong. I'm just glad to not be discussing the new rules for a little while

Retention (~2160 days or so for me).
    Usenet downloaders typically don't receive dmca letters. I heard a private tracker user bitch not too long about receiving an infringement letter.
    IRC & tight-knit communities aren't exclusive to trackers.
    Good indexers vet releases.

On scene pretimes and content, they keep posting links to Corrupt's dupecheck. Ok then:

Game.of.Thrones.S04E10.720p.HDTV.x264-KILLERS (times based off my feed)
    02:14:17 PRE
    02:14:49 GFT wins race
    02:17:19 NZB shows up

2m30s off the fastest tracker. Assuming the swarm maxes your line speed straight away and you don't have to scp/ftp content to your local machine.

With the rar thing (again), scene doesn't rar mp3s or flacs. You got me on TV/Movies.

Certainly P2P, internal encodes, and not having DMCA at the provider end are the three areas where trackers shine. The non scene stuff shows up, we just end up waiting a little longer.
    Last edited by piercerseth; 07-09-2014 at 08:21 PM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by piercerseth View Post

just a lot of what was posted (by norkamus in particular) struck me as wrong.
    I think Norkamus is incapable of reading, he appears to be comparing Private trackers to public trackers. And the fact that he seemed to get a decent amount of upvotes for a completely different topic perplexes me more.

With the rar thing (again), scene doesn't rar mp3s or flacs. You got me on TV/Movies.
    While I do prefer non rar'd content, the main issue I have with it on usenet is not that it's rar'd, since the usenet program automatically unzips them and deletes the rars (and since you don't have to seed them it's ok to delete them), it's that it makes in impossible to download a single episode out of a pack. Say I just wanted to watch a pilot of an old show that was released in a season pack of some source. There's no way to just download the first episode.
    Last edited by Rart; 07-09-2014 at 08:36 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    the main issue I have with it on usenet is not that it's rar'd, since the usenet program automatically unzips them and deletes the rars (and since you don't have to seed them it's ok to delete them), it's that it makes in impossible to download a single episode out of a pack. Say I just wanted to watch a pilot of an old show that was released in a season pack of some source. There's no way to just download the first episode.
    Very true. God forbid the rars are damaged you'll grab the whole thing, a whole bunch of pars, and wait for it to repair.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by ozymandias2
    4) Top tier trackers are not all that hard to get into. Interview into WCD, get PU, and you can get on any of the common top-tier trackers.
    I love how this is the default answer on /r/trackers. Sure. Spend a few hours on the what prep site, queue in irc, 1 hr+ on the test.
    Micromanage the shit out of torrents I don't want, free leech, ratio games to 25GB + 5 uploads.
    Last edited by piercerseth; 07-09-2014 at 08:55 PM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    if I want to download a single episode from a season pack it is incredibly difficult on usenet since the entire season is packed into one set of rars, while on torrents I just simply checkmark which episode I want.
    It's not "incredibly difficult" ...
    Divide the number of rar files by the number of episodes and then multiply by the episode number you want.

For instance :

Stargate.SG-1.S09.720p.WEB-DL.DD 5.1.h.264-TjHD

Here : 313 rar files. That's 313/20 = 15,65 rar file per episode. So if I want episode 2, I download rars 15 to 33 (to account for variability in episode size, they're not all exactly the same).
    Extract and you get this :
    http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/628735Sanstitre.jpg

You can see the arrows --> and <-- meaning you have the end of ep 1, all of ep 2 and the beginning of ep 3.

Select episode 2, extract, and there you go.
    It might get trickier if you have damaged files and need to use par files though, I haven't tried that.

Back to topic, I use both.
    Less than 100€ a year for a small seedbox and an unlimited usenet subscription. And then you got everything and no worries.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    That's a cool trick, chakara. May come in handy sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by chakara;3746711

It's not "incredibly difficult" ...
    Divide the number of rar files by the number of episodes and then multiply by the episode number you want.

For instance :

Stargate.SG-1.S09.720p.WEB-DL.DD 5.1.h.264-TjHD

Here : 313 rar files. That's 313/20 = 15,65 rar file per episode. So if I want episode 2, I download rars 15 to 33 (to account for variability in episode size, they're not all exactly the same).
    Extract and you get this :
    [url
    http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/628735Sanstitre.jpg[/url]

You can see the arrows --> and <-- meaning you have the end of ep 1, all of ep 2 and the beginning of ep 3.

Select episode 2, extract, and there you go.
    It might get trickier if you have damaged files and need to use par files though, I haven't tried that.
    That is very useful. Thanks for sharing! I'm definitely going to try this out next time.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by piercerseth;

[QUOTE=ozymandias2
    4) Top tier trackers are not all that hard to get into. Interview into WCD, get PU, and you can get on any of the common top-tier trackers.

Most people who interview are turned down. One contradiction that I read on Reddit was that you don't need a seedbox and it's easy to get into top trackers. It would be awfully hard to get PU status without a seedbox. When you first get into a tracker you must spend at least a month seeding things you don't want in order to build up a buffer. Once you have say a 1TB buffer you can finally start to download things you want. Then when your buffer goes down you have to repeat the process if you want to remain a member in good standing. With a seedbox you definitely have to do a double download if you want it on your disk.

Torrents are OK for obscure movies and music that will never hit the usenet. For popular movies, TV, games etc., Usenet still shines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast