Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ati Vs Nvidia

lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Livy@15 December 2003 - 02:58
    you could get a new board?

i just got this board http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components...?quicklinx=2Q7L
    which is http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/mainboa...php3?name=M7NCD

and its pretty cheap/

and you can see from here http://www.bjorn3d.com/_preview.php?articleID=288 the pro version is ok.

i havent tested the board yet as i havent got the rest of the parts yet, but it should be on wednesday.
    When I get a new board, I want to get something worthwhile (and have the possibility to upgrade other parts of my system), I can't see any point in getting something which is only marginally better than what I've got at the moment.

And there isn't going to be anything beyong AGP3.0 so there is no point in waiting for the next spec.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by lynx+15 December 2003 - 04:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 15 December 2003 - 04:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Livy@15 December 2003 - 02:58
    you could get a new board?

i just got this board http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components...?quicklinx=2Q7L
    which is http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/mainboa...php3?name=M7NCD

and its pretty cheap/

and you can see from here http://www.bjorn3d.com/_preview.php?articleID=288 the pro version is ok.

i havent tested the board yet as i havent got the rest of the parts yet, but it should be on wednesday.
    When I get a new board, I want to get something worthwhile (and have the possibility to upgrade other parts of my system), I can&#39;t see any point in getting something which is only marginally better than what I&#39;ve got at the moment.

And there isn&#39;t going to be anything beyong AGP3.0 so there is no point in waiting for the next spec. [/b][/quote]
    suppose, my old board doesnt even have an agp port, its about 5 years old, amd k6-2 500. you could try contacting the company for the card to see if it will work?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Livy+15 December 2003 - 03:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Livy @ 15 December 2003 - 03:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by lynx@15 December 2003 - 03:59
    <!--QuoteBegin-DWk
    @15 December 2003 - 02:54
    4x for a dx9 card? tsk tsk.... no comments

Maybe you should read the specs for 4x and 8x. And look at the benchmarks. There&#39;s really not much difference at the moment since the rest of MOST systems can&#39;t provide data fast enough.
    or you could just go for it?

edit: or try contacting the manufacturer for one of the cards, like the hightech one i posted, since its the cheapest ati based dx9 card. [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;ve already decided to go for the NVidia card. Remember one thing - WE ARE THE CUSTOMERS - if they can&#39;t get their documentation right, what chance it there that they&#39;ve got the hardware or the drivers right. If they are sloppy in one area, they are likely to be sloppy in others.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by lynx+15 December 2003 - 04:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 15 December 2003 - 04:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Livy@15 December 2003 - 03:00
    <!--QuoteBegin-DWk

Maybe you should read the specs for 4x and 8x. And look at the benchmarks. There&#39;s really not much difference at the moment since the rest of MOST systems can&#39;t provide data fast enough.

edit: or try contacting the manufacturer for one of the cards, like the hightech one i posted, since its the cheapest ati based dx9 card.
    I&#39;ve already decided to go for the NVidia card. Remember one thing - WE ARE THE CUSTOMERS - if they can&#39;t get their documentation right, what chance it there that they&#39;ve got the hardware or the drivers right. If they are sloppy in one area, they are likely to be sloppy in others. [/b][/quote]
    suppose. i have just got a radeon 9200se from hightech. so they better not be to bad.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Originally posted by lynx@14 December 2003 - 19:19
    But if they can&#39;t be bothered to give proper specifications, they can stick their cards where the video don&#39;t shine. I&#39;m not going to risk my money buying something that isn&#39;t quoted as being compatible.
    lynx, i thought you had a bit of common sense...

typically people are willing to switch graphics cards much more often than their motherboards. there are thousands upon thousands of customers who&#39;ve bought the latest graphics cards from ATI and have had no problem using them on fairly old motherboards-- you can take a look around a site like futuremark.com (where people post their benchmarks scores & hardware specs) and see for yourself. if there were such a thing as a mainstream graphics card that only supports AGP 8X (and not 4X or 2X), we would have all heard about it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Poster
    Originally posted by Livy+15 December 2003 - 05:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Livy @ 15 December 2003 - 05:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by lynx@15 December 2003 - 04:08
    Originally posted by Livy@15 December 2003 - 03:00
    <!--QuoteBegin-DWk

edit: or try contacting the manufacturer for one of the cards, like the hightech one i posted, since its the cheapest ati based dx9 card.

I&#39;ve already decided to go for the NVidia card. Remember one thing - WE ARE THE CUSTOMERS - if they can&#39;t get their documentation right, what chance it there that they&#39;ve got the hardware or the drivers right. If they are sloppy in one area, they are likely to be sloppy in others.
    suppose. i have just got a radeon 9200se from hightech. so they better not be to bad. [/b][/quote]
    I have a radeon 9200 se also,not too bad of a card.I am not a big gamer or anything like that but it seems to run pretty good to me.Mine is only running at 4x though due to my motherbaord.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+15 December 2003 - 03:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 15 December 2003 - 03:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@14 December 2003 - 19:19
    But if they can&#39;t be bothered to give proper specifications, they can stick their cards where the video don&#39;t shine. I&#39;m not going to risk my money buying something that isn&#39;t quoted as being compatible.
    lynx, i thought you had a bit of common sense...

typically people are willing to switch graphics cards much more often than their motherboards. there are thousands upon thousands of customers who&#39;ve bought the latest graphics cards from ATI and have had no problem using them on fairly old motherboards-- you can take a look around a site like futuremark.com (where people post their benchmarks scores & hardware specs) and see for yourself. if there were such a thing as a mainstream graphics card that only supports AGP 8X (and not 4X or 2X), we would have all heard about it. [/b][/quote]
    There are already motherboards which won&#39;t even power on if you plug in anything less than an AGP 3.0 card, so I&#39;m quite sure there are graphics cards which won&#39;t work in anything less than an AGP 3.0 slot.

AGP 3.0 cards have to be guaranteed not to blow if you plug them into an incompatible AGP slot, but they don&#39;t have to work.

Anyway, it&#39;s too late now, Nvidia card on it&#39;s way.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Originally posted by lynx@15 December 2003 - 07:09
    AGP 3.0 cards have to be guaranteed not to blow if you plug them into an incompatible AGP slot, but they don&#39;t have to work.
    obviously. but you ignored a key word from my post-- "mainstream." neither Nvidia nor ATI is going to release a card that the average newbie can walk into a department store and pick up, only to find out that it doesn&#39;t work with his 6 month old motherboard because the card isn&#39;t backwards compatible with the previous AGP spec.

if you buy a mainstream AGP 8X card, you can do so with 99% confidence that it will be compatible with AGP 4X... with a slight possibility that it has AGP 2X or 1X compatibility.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    lynx's Avatar .
    You may well be right.

But my point was the documentation. Is it so hard for Ati to state the minimum requirements like Nvidia do?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Did you get your new card yet?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast