Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bomb Joke

Originally posted by Alex H@21 January 2004 - 05:36
    From the BBC site:
    "If it was a joke, it wasn't a very good joke...it's a violation of our state law."
    Important Note: When visiting the United States of America DO NOT attempt to joke with airport security.
    Yeah, that is what the sign at the checkpoint says. That is not related to 9/11, that sign has been there forever.

Can you imagine what it would be like to deal with every cornholer who thinks his bomb threat is funny. Stupid girl now understands that a fool is counted amongst the wise if she is silent.

We Americans have been politely biting our tongues all this time.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Originally posted by ilw@21 January 2004 - 00:54
    While i've personally never heard of jail time for people who speak unwisely in airports in the UK, I do remember seeing that quite a few people have been stopped from boarding a plane simply for mentioning certain words within earshot of staff, eg terrorist, bomb etc. Whatever happened to freedom of speech

LMAO!! @ the comic

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Originally posted by Biggles@20 January 2004 - 14:45
    We tend to have a very bizarre sense of humour in the UK. It is unlikely that little more than a check of the suspect bag and a ticking off would have taken place over here. There most certainly would not be a question of a custodial sentence for what was simply a poor joke. (although it might have been funny-sometimes you "have to be there")

We used to be warned as UK nationals visiting places like the Soviet Union or China etc., to put a lid on offhand comments such as these because other nations did not share our somewhat ironic take on life. Looks like we need to reinforce that message once again and broaden its geographical scope a bit too.

I think she might be flying home soon though.
    Here's how serious they take it, 80 year old WW2 veteran.

We move now to the Bradley International Airport in Connecticut. Here we have an 80-year-old World War II veteran trying to get through security. Fred Hubbell is tired and cranky, as an 80-year-old has a right to be. He's already had his luggage searched. They've patted him down, several times. He has had his shoes off. Now they're going through his wallet.

He looks at the so-called security screener and asks, "What do you expect to find in there, a rifle?"
    Bingo! Handcuffs! The next thing you know, Fred is in those handcuffs being hauled through the terminal by police officers on his way to a holding cell. He's fingerprinted, his mug shot is taken, he is given his Miranda rights and told he can have one phone call to contact his lawyer.

He ends up being fined for "creating a public disturbance." Hubbell didn't create the disturbance.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2.../6/192653.shtml

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by <TROUBLE^MAKER>+21 January 2004 - 16:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (<TROUBLE^MAKER> @ 21 January 2004 - 16:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Biggles@20 January 2004 - 14:45
    We tend to have a very bizarre sense of humour in the UK. It is unlikely that little more than a check of the suspect bag and a ticking off would have taken place over here. There most certainly would not be a question of a custodial sentence for what was simply a poor joke. (although it might have been funny-sometimes you "have to be there")

We used to be warned as UK nationals visiting places like the Soviet Union or China etc., to put a lid on offhand comments such as these because other nations did not share our somewhat ironic take on life. Looks like we need to reinforce that message once again and broaden its geographical scope a bit too.

I think she might be flying home soon though.
    Here&#39;s how serious they take it, 80 year old WW2 veteran.

We move now to the Bradley International Airport in Connecticut. Here we have an 80-year-old World War II veteran trying to get through security. Fred Hubbell is tired and cranky, as an 80-year-old has a right to be. He&#39;s already had his luggage searched. They&#39;ve patted him down, several times. He has had his shoes off. Now they&#39;re going through his wallet.

He looks at the so-called security screener and asks, "What do you expect to find in there, a rifle?"
    Bingo&#33; Handcuffs&#33; The next thing you know, Fred is in those handcuffs being hauled through the terminal by police officers on his way to a holding cell. He&#39;s fingerprinted, his mug shot is taken, he is given his Miranda rights and told he can have one phone call to contact his lawyer.

He ends up being fined for "creating a public disturbance." Hubbell didn&#39;t create the disturbance.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2.../6/192653.shtml [/b][/quote]
    Respect my authority old man&#33;

These People get what they deserve.The Airport is not a Place to Play Games anymore.We have steped it up and I am proud to get rid of these Hoodlums.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Nice site trouble maker. This one is my favourite:
    a 40-year-old woman from Holland was made to disrobe from the waist up after she set off the alarm. This woman had undergone a double mastectomy. Her implants contained metal staples.

I wonder what the American authorities think they are doing? They are looking at 9/11 wrong. The attack wasn&#39;t about planes. It was about doing something nobody had ever done. That&#39;s why it was a surprise. The next attack might be hi-jacking a submarine and blowing it up near a tunnel highway and drowning everyone. That would be a good idea, cause everone is looking at planes and no-one is looking at subs.

If somebody is really intent on hurting you, they&#39;re going to hurt you and even the imposition of 24 hour lockdown on the citizenry is not going to help.

I wonder if it would be easier to just turn up at the airport naked with no luggage. Or would you be arrested for "creating a public disturbance?"

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    I had a friend who said "good, they didn&#39;t detect the bomb" to another friend after getting through secuirty. They said cops surrounded them within seconds. They got a good talking too, but the cops let them go because they were on a school trip.
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    This one guy was boarding the plane looked towards the open cock pit door and saw he knew the pilot and said "high Jack &#33;&#33;" and the radio was on so the tower heard it and you know what happened next.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Gemby!'s Avatar Poster
    great to see america after sept. 11 they have gone up in the world with there security ...they ask people if they have a bomb and hope they will be nice enough to own up to it.

how realistic ....

and wasnt it america who allowed a man carrying bullets in his pocket pass there security and come over to the uk, where he was caught .

america takes things too seriously when someone is having a joke and the real stuff gets missed , they should sort it out
    Single handedly destroying the NHS from the inside

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Originally posted by gemby&#33;@22 January 2004 - 22:38
    great to see america after sept. 11 they have gone up in the world with there security ...they ask people if they have a bomb and hope they will be nice enough to own up to it.

how realistic ....

and wasnt it america who allowed a man carrying bullets in his pocket pass there security and come over to the uk, where he was caught .

america takes things too seriously when someone is having a joke and the real stuff gets missed , they should sort it out
    @Gemby

1. No one is asked if they are carrying a bomb. There is a sign at the check point that instructs people that jokes will be taken seriously, please do not joke with the security personel.
    2. This is not new since 9/11. These signs have ALWAYS been there. These comments have always been taken seriously.
    3. Yes, it was America. Someone missed them during the scan at Dulles. That is human error, not a problem with the system. Fortunately they were caught the second time. Perhaps we should set up two check points instead of 1, or maybe 3, just to be sure.
    4. What real stuff has been missed? 5 bullets and a crazymans shoes since 9/11 is not bad.

@AlexH
    So when a person sets off a metal detector and the hand held localizes the signal to the chest, what are we supposed to do? Oh, mastectomy, sure go on through. I can&#39;t even raise a brow that she was taken in a private room and it was confirmed that her bra did not contain metal objects.

Should we x-ray her to save her the embarrassment of disrobing? This is America man, all we do over here is sue each other. Women would start claiming that all the birth defects in their child are from airport x-rays or that their cancer was cause by airport x-rays. Don&#39;t get me started about our ambulance chasing attorneys.

I think things would be better if we didn&#39;t put minimally trained, minimally paid, minimally educated people there. I think some of these people have never had any authority in their lives and are just aching to make some sort of heroic act.

Confiscating a 2 inch plastic gun from a girl with a GI Joe doll supports my theory. Powertripping idiots, who are looking to harrass innocent travelers and provoke them into saying something like the tired old man with his rifle in the wallet comment.

Back to the story at hand, stating that you have a bomb in your suitcase to three separate people, who are not even talking to you or asking you, is just stupid. If they didn&#39;t crack down hard on this behavior, they would have to listen to the "original and funny people" do this all day long.

"I gots a bomb, hehe. No I don&#39;t, just kiddin&#39;, but I think my wife do, hehe, just kidding, I just a kidder thats all (slaps knee)".
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    I still have a problem when the guy on the ground telling me I have to strip off may be earning more than the guy who takes me 3km off the surface of the earth.

American Pilots Salaries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast