View Poll Results: Do you want to see a FriendsWorld ?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that's just great

11 17.74%
  • No, that's a waste of time

51 82.26%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: FriendsWorld Poll

FatBastard
    If Americans would just agree to call their game Gridiron, there would be no problem.

l'm sure myself and the other supporters of the true game of the Gods would drop the subject.

We just don't like being told to call our game, Football, which we invented, by a name, soccer, that others made up so they can nick ours.

2. Lounge   -   #42
    Poster
    Isn't "soccer" actually called Association Football.

So in order to avoid confusion we could describe both games by using their capital letters. That way everyone would know what we were talking about.

3. Lounge   -   #43
    Poster
    Originally posted by 7thElement+24 January 2004 - 16:46--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (7thElement @ 24 January 2004 - 16:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@24 January 2004 - 15:42
    Like I said.Why we will not get a SportsWorld.Because most of you will not stop Posting about the same Subject.Over and over again.
    Seems like somebody can read my mind [/b][/quote]
    What a specious argument. There are recurring themes, discussions and arguments everywhere.

Will we ever agree whether rap is music, as an obvious example.

4. Lounge   -   #44
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@24 January 2004 - 20:53

Right now there seems to be a Debate if
    Rythm & Blues has anything to do with Hip Hop...

...go figure.

But one more example as well.

ps. I wont touch the Rap issue with 3-feet-pole...
    Spoiler: Show

5. Lounge   -   #45
    Poster
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@24 January 2004 - 17:53
    Anyone who denies Rap is a musical genre is extremely ignorant, in my opinion
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

6. Lounge   -   #46
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    wow what a bunch of bullshit.

who the fuck wants a friendsworld?

7. Lounge   -   #47
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Can we have a tree huggers world too?

8. Lounge   -   #48
    Poster
    Originally posted by 4th gen+24 January 2004 - 20:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (4th gen @ 24 January 2004 - 20:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@24 January 2004 - 17:53
    Anyone who denies Rap is a musical genre is extremely ignorant, in my opinion [/b][/quote]
    I personally feel that if you must pigeon hole, then it is more poetry than music.

However I do confess to a high degree of ignorance as you suggested.

9. Lounge   -   #49
    Originally posted by FatBastard@24 January 2004 - 17:12
    If Americans would just agree to call their game Gridiron, there would be no problem.

l&#39;m sure myself and the other supporters of the true game of the Gods would drop the subject.

We just don&#39;t like being told to call our game, Football, which we invented, by a name, soccer, that others made up so they can nick ours.

Soccer:
    Soccer is an abbreviation for Association Football. The Football Association was formed in London in October 1863 when representatives of eleven clubs and schools met in an attempt to standardize the rules of the game. One of the rules prohibited the carrying of the ball, a rule that would lead to the Rugby-oriented clubs leaving the Association several months later. The name Association Football was coined to distinguish it from Rugby Football.

By 1889, the abbreviation socca&#39;(Londoners dubbed it this- not Americans) was in use, and the spelling soccer had made its appearance by 1895.

Merriam Webster

1 : any of several games played between two teams on a rectangular field having two goalposts at each end and whose object is to get the ball over a goal line or between goalposts by running, passing, or kicking.

So American football, association football (soccer), and rugby football are a "Football" by definition.

Etymology of soccer: by shortening & alteration from association football-see above "socca"
    Date: 1889

Blimey, you mates invented the word soccer out of sloth, we picked it up out of admiration and now you take umbrage when we use it. What do you blokes want from us?

The 2 sports should be rightfully called association football and rugby football. You guys have dropped the "football" from "rugby" and you shortened "association football" to "soccer". Now you don&#39;t want us callin&#39; it that. You bloody lot are confusing us poor Yanks, to be sure.

What&#39;s it to be, then?

That FatBastard is right though, we need to come up with a name for our brand of football.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

10. Lounge   -   #50
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    This is weird.

You have a Lounge already. WTF is Friendsworld about. This forum is getting weirder by the week.
    ........and don&#39;t want to make a Sportworld?

I&#39;ve said before that Bookworld is seriously "underposted" yet you still have that.
    This is like having a Congressman who hears words but doesn&#39;t actually listen to what is being said.

Hell no for Friendsworld.

The Lounge already has topics like

I stubbed my toe
    Skweeky is leaving
    I&#39;m leaving the forum
    Hi I&#39;m back

What a joke&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast