Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wondering Something

Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    why nto try watercooling?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    i like air cooling better, and water cooling scares the shit out of me, knowing that one messed up connection could fuck up my whole computer and completely ruin it. at least with air cooling theres no water involved as long as temps dont get below ambient.
    Gaint Antispyware is the #1 greatest Spyware/Adware cleaner ever created, I recomend it to everybody, even if you don't think you need it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    PC,

As you may know I am a big fan of excess and your concept sounds intriguing.

Silly, but interesting.

Of the 12 (or is it 18?) fans only a few of them will be putting air where you need it.
    The rest will just be adding to the confusion and may in fact, make things worse.
    Turbulance may cancel out any benefits from the fans that matter.

That said, if the look is what you want then go for it.
    You will need something pretty rigid to support the weight and resist vibration.
    1/4" plexi would work.

As far as just cutting a few holes in your case to mount fans, for God's sake, DO NOT use a Dremel.
    I don't get the modding community's love affair with that tool. It is the wrong tool for the job.
    If possible, use a hole saw on a drill press.
    If you don't have a drill press then a hand drill will work, but go slowly.
    If you haven't a hole saw, then use a jig saw with a fine toothed blade.

Failing that, hire a beaver to gnaw the hole out.
    You're last option would be a Dremel.
    But I'd look long and hard for a beaver first.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    12-15 fans, and yeah i think the turbulence part sounds right, i wanted to make a hovercraft more then a pc mod tho. maybe ill figure out something, ill prolly end up with about 7-8 fans. angled in different directions so the airflow isnt all messed up. ill have to wait till i get some money and mess around with it. i always thought the dremel was the best tool for the job, guess ill have to look into something else like a hole saw for my grandpas drill press like what u were saying. he has the drill press, but i think he'll have to get a good 8cm hole saw for it. and i think im gonna go with volt modded tornadoes for the fans, volt modded so they dont sounds like a fricken harrier at take off. im thinkin till they push only about 45-50 cfm will be good. i can stand up to about 45-50 decibals of noise from the fans, much higher and i start to go crazy. so ill keep ya'all posted, this might not happen for a little while tho, as coming up with money for even 2-3 vantec tornadoe fans is gonna be hard enough, and im figuring at least 8-10 to do what i want. and prolly 12-15 to make a hover craft (im obbsessed with the idea).
    Gaint Antispyware is the #1 greatest Spyware/Adware cleaner ever created, I recomend it to everybody, even if you don't think you need it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    ur looking at a dremel job here dude. get a dremel. get a nice blade. draw the circles, and cut. here's my suggestion: don't bother. u must have too much fucking time on ur hands. just get wc or cut 2 or 4 120mm holes on the case and stick in soma those mammas. beats having 10 80mm fans.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@25 January 2004 - 05:57
    ur looking at a dremel job here dude. get a dremel. get a nice blade. draw the circles, and cut. here's my suggestion: don't bother. u must have too much fucking time on ur hands. just get wc or cut 2 or 4 120mm holes on the case and stick in soma those mammas. beats having 10 80mm fans.
    way to much fuckin time on my hands, and im wondering.. so i gotta try it. first im told no dremel, now im told use a dremel.. wtf, im lost. ill figure out something. and yeah i was thinking about 120mm originally, but 10 or so 80mm would be cool, and be easier to control the direction of where there all going, of course i could just put in 6-7 120mm and see what happens (3...2...1... lift off!&#33. idk

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by pc&#045;gamer&#045;dude+25 January 2004 - 01:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pc-gamer-dude @ 25 January 2004 - 01:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@25 January 2004 - 05:57
    ur looking at a dremel job here dude. get a dremel. get a nice blade. draw the circles, and cut. here&#39;s my suggestion: don&#39;t bother. u must have too much fucking time on ur hands. just get wc or cut 2 or 4 120mm holes on the case and stick in soma those mammas. beats having 10 80mm fans.
    way to much fuckin time on my hands, and im wondering.. so i gotta try it. first im told no dremel, now im told use a dremel.. wtf, im lost. ill figure out something. and yeah i was thinking about 120mm originally, but 10 or so 80mm would be cool, and be easier to control the direction of where there all going, of course i could just put in 6-7 120mm and see what happens (3...2...1... lift off&#33;&#33. idk [/b][/quote]
    u don&#39;t need 6 or 7. how big is ur case? if it&#39;s a mid tower, ur a lunatic. if it&#39;s a server tower, maybe. but i&#39;d think 4 120mm fans on the side would be enough. wtf r u cooling? a steam engine?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    im cooling the pc im my sig. and yes its a mid-tower. heres me plan... 2x 120mm in the front of the case, 2x 120mm in the back of the case, 2x 120mm in the top of the case, 1x 120mm behind the cpu socket in the sidepanel, 8x 120mm in the other sidepanel cooling everything inside, with the fans angled differently so the cooling isnt messed by the turbulence (thanks clocker), im aslo gonna mod the psu and put 2x 120mm fans in it, im also gonna buy a 80-120mm fan adapter and throw a 120mm fan on my processor, then im gonna rig a amd heatsink up to my gfx card (mx440) (with a 60-120mm fan adapter) then throw a 120mm fan on that to. then i think im gonna find a way to put a 120mm fan on my chipset for my asus a7n8x mobo. ya im crazy, but im wondering, and i have to try. so yeah.. i have to figure out how im gonna get all these 120mm fans working, and how im gonna bear the noise (ive cvompletely forgotton the idea of 80mm... i want more power). so yeah.. any ideas?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Your biggest bang for the buck, both in terms of CFM and low noise, is definately going to be 120mm&#39;s.

My experiments on a full tower case have shown that putting your intakes on the floor and exhaust in the roof will give superior airflow.
    After all, hot air rises, so let it do some of the work for you.

Probably two fans in each location will do the trick. If possible, mount one of the floor fans back far enough to blow onto the underside of your video card, it&#39;ll love the attention.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by clocker@24 January 2004 - 23:18
    But I&#39;d look long and hard for a beaver first.
    That&#39;s always good advice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast