Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Government Adviser: Killing Children With Defects

My reasoning on the subject has always been: If the mother died, would the child survive?

This is not in the same context as a nature documentary (you know a lion comes along, eats the mother antelope and the baby is left on it's own), I mean it in terms of: can other adults look after the child if the mother dies? If the mother dies, say 4 months into pregnancy, the foetus will die.

So, I think Prof. Harris is speaking out against late term abortions. If the mother dies 8 months into a pregnancy, the foetus can still be saved and is able to grow, and be looked after by other adults. If this can happen, it is the same as a regular birth, i.e. there is a baby.

The "fairygodmother" line is another good trick of Harris'. You may wish for a baby of a specific gender, but are you prepared to forsake your own desires and let nature decide? If not, then the logical next step is terminating a foetus with defects. And since an 8 month foetus (with or without defects) can survive after the death of the mother, why not just kill a mentally retarded baby?

I think Harris has done a good job of inciting controversy on this subject, but I also think the Pro-Life group should read between the lines.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Originally posted by Busyman+26 January 2004 - 13:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman @ 26 January 2004 - 13:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by barbarossa@26 January 2004 - 12:48
    <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman
    @26 January 2004 - 07:13
    I just saw Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel and there is a guy who was born amputated.

What - they can amputate limbs in utero now???
    No the guy said the doctor's call it something like genetic amputation; not quite sure.
    He definitely said the doctor's had to give it a name with the amputation in it. An "amputation" was not actually "performed". [/b][/quote]
    Amniotic bands can encircle and constrict limbs and cause "in utero" limb amputations.
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-03-2007 at 10:16 AM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Abortions a pretty boring topic. Why don&#39;t you redneck fundamentalists and liberals find something else to argue about?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by Arm@27 January 2004 - 04:53
    Abortions a pretty boring topic. Why don&#39;t you redneck fundamentalists and liberals find something else to argue about?
    Why don&#39;t you leave your postings to another thread if this one does not interest you?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Busyman+27 January 2004 - 00:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman @ 27 January 2004 - 00:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Arm@27 January 2004 - 04:53
    Why don&#39;t you leave your postings to another thread if this one does not interest you? [/b][/quote]
    Arm knows trolling.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12