Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Water Cooling Kit

How is the noise w/ water cooling? Is it fairly quiet??
    Like how much noise would the pump and radiator make?? Is it quieter then having fans?
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    My experience is limited K, so take my opinion with a grain of salt....

My current feelings are that watercooling, designed and installed to rival an efficient air-cooled solution, really can't be too much quieter than an air only rig.
    Why?

Well, you need a good, high volume pump to start with.
    I have seen ( and heard) a rig with an Eheim pump ( the darling of the watercooling fraternity) and it is NOT silent.. Not hideously noisy, but it emits a hum ( similar to flourescent lighting) and it does vibrate some. The vibration could be dealt with if you were willing to work on it, but the hum is not going away.

You need a fairly large radiator.
    To effectively dissipate the heat from the rad you need some big, high flow fans.
    Not quiet.

The real downside to almost all of the H2O rigs that I've seen is the profusion of hoses and hardware necessary.
    They are just too damn hard to work on for the results they provide.
    I haven't seen a setup yet that really knocks my socks off, although I'd like to.....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by clocker@28 February 2004 - 13:02
    My experience is limited K, so take my opinion with a grain of salt....

My current feelings are that watercooling, designed and installed to rival an efficient air-cooled solution, really can't be too much quieter than an air only rig.
    Why?

Well, you need a good, high volume pump to start with.
    I have seen ( and heard) a rig with an Eheim pump ( the darling of the watercooling fraternity) and it is NOT silent.. Not hideously noisy, but it emits a hum ( similar to flourescent lighting) and it does vibrate some. The vibration could be dealt with if you were willing to work on it, but the hum is not going away.

You need a fairly large radiator.
    To effectively dissipate the heat from the rad you need some big, high flow fans.
    Not quiet.

The real downside to almost all of the H2O rigs that I've seen is the profusion of hoses and hardware necessary.
    They are just too damn hard to work on for the results they provide.
    I haven't seen a setup yet that really knocks my socks off, although I'd like to.....
    wat bout wc and peltiers? i've seen those go below 0 C all the time

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Sure.
    Very cool way to go ( in both senses of the word).

You still need a very good water system ( in fact, you need an excellent one as you'll be dealing with more heat to get rid of), and you will also have to provide/deal with the extra power requirements of the Pelt.

The question here is how much is a lower temp worth to you?
    Hell, if you really want good temps, just plunk out the dosh for a Prometius setup.
    Silent, cold and expensive....

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Yes, it does seem an interesting prediciment doesnt it? You want to get away from all the noisy fans that are needed to get the top of the line air cooling, so you go to watercooling. but you still just put off the issue of removing that heat from the loop that is cooling your processor.... So that leads you right back to fans, just in different places. And the pump as many people froget is going to make some noise as well.

Thats why im going to make an evaporative cooler, with a nice submersive pump.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Bongs are very interesting cooling rigs.

Plus you get that cool fountain sound.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by clocker@28 February 2004 - 21:59

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by _John_Lennon_@28 February 2004 - 21:05
    Yes, it does seem an interesting prediciment doesnt it? You want to get away from all the noisy fans that are needed to get the top of the line air cooling, so you go to watercooling. but you still just put off the issue of removing that heat from the loop that is cooling your processor.... So that leads you right back to fans, just in different places. And the pump as many people froget is going to make some noise as well.

Thats why im going to make an evaporative cooler, with a nice submersive pump.
    some ppl circulate their water into a bucket of ice. no noise, and water is around 0C. look around at the rigs on exremevoverclocking.com. looks tight, but kinda messy with pipes going everywhere. but they're noiseless

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    I guess that it depends on how temporary you want your cooling solution to be Abu.
    It would drive me crazy to continually be filling an ice bucket for my PC.

Bong coolers are evaporative and need occasional refilling, but not nearly as often.
    I've even seen one bong cooler that used the fill valve from a toilet to monitor and replenish the water reservoir automatically.

A bong would be quite a boon here in Denver as the climate is quite dry and the cooler would add some much needed moisture to the air.
    Hmmm....

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+28 February 2004 - 22:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 28 February 2004 - 22:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@28 February 2004 - 21:59

[/b][/quote]
    He isnt joking.

And Clocker, the toilet idea is actually quite a good one. Now if only I could run an extra pipe from my water system to my room.

And of course get an old toilet

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast