Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows Xp Login

Poster
    yea i think it was

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Then that's your problem. You need to change your XP product key before installing SP1 with the corp key and several other keys.

There are keychangers out there that use something built into XP.

That's why MS wants you to call them....
    They added that security feature to kill certain blacklisted keys on installation of SP1.

It will get much worse. Eventually, your system will die.
    You need to reformat with, either a CD with SP1 already on it, or change your key before you install SP1

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329457 this is the article i read

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    i did change the key cuz if ididnt i wouldnt even be able to download or install sp1

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Then, this is a pretty weird problem.

Well, if it&#39;s related to your group policy settings, then changing them should have an effect. I don&#39;t deal with group policy settings much, and this problem doesn&#39;t appear to be very old.

Maybe X-Setup can allow you to change some hidden setting reffering to group policy settings.

It does say the next service pack will have the fix.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by Xero Grid@12 April 2004 - 02:16
    Then that&#39;s your problem. You need to change your XP product key before installing SP1 with the corp key and several other keys.

There are keychangers out there that use something built into XP.

That&#39;s why MS wants you to call them....
    They added that security feature to kill certain blacklisted keys on installation of SP1.

It will get much worse. Eventually, your system will die.
    You need to reformat with, either a CD with SP1 already on it, or change your key before you install SP1

-- Xero Grid --
    This is misleading.
    If your XP installation was done using a key that is blacklisted in SP1/SP1a then the Service Pack will not install on your computer. It does not install then disable Windows, nor does it slowly degrade the system until you can&#39;t boot into Windows. It won&#39;t &#39;unregister&#39; Windows requiring you activate it either.
    A re-installation in this case is not necessary, just follow M&#036; instructions to change your CD Key to one that isn&#39;t blacklisted.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    You&#39;re right. It doesn&#39;t install. It&#39;ll say some crap about not being eligible for SP1, but it will slowly kill your system, if that was the problem. M&#036; doesn&#39;t tell you that. I&#39;ve seen it happen more than once, but this isn&#39;t the case. At first, I thought it was.

-- Xero Grid --

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by Xero Grid@12 April 2004 - 19:43
    You&#39;re right. It doesn&#39;t install. It&#39;ll say some crap about not being eligible for SP1, but it will slowly kill your system, if that was the problem. M&#036; doesn&#39;t tell you that. I&#39;ve seen it happen more than once, but this isn&#39;t the case. At first, I thought it was.
    I don&#39;t fully understand what you&#39;re saying here, but to clarify things...
    On an XP installed using one of the keys that M&#036; was aware of, SP1/SP1a will not install and will not make any changes to the system.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Try running system restore if you have it enabled, or try last known good configuration. if neither work then i think doing a repair install would be the easiest way to get your system working again.

insert your xp cd, then restart the computer, when it says press any key to boot from cd press any key, then continue through the pages until it asks if youd like to repair a current windows installation or create a new one and choose to repair.

repairing apears to be reinstalling windows completely but it actually leaves all your downloads and progams and games installed on your computer. some settings might be lost such as the icons on ur desktop and the order of stuff in ur startmenu, and you will also have to install any windows updates again from www.windowsupdate.com.

good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12