Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Should I Look For Or Get For The Sale

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    About the RAM stick size....

The guys at my local shop report that they have some trouble with 1GB sticks on some boards.
    They much prefer to use 2x512 if at all possible.

Again, this is a "sometimes" kinda thing, it does not always happen.
    512's seem to slip right in and the PC will recognize them fine.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    oh okay, 512 it is......... i actually wanted to put in a 1 gig of memory because i want to start learning how to use final cut pro, but supposedly people say you need at least a gig for it to run smoothly..

how do you check the temperature inside your pc again? is there a good program to download and install for that?

i'm thinking that's the reason why my last motherboard blew.......cuz i tend to turn off the monitor and let it on downloading torrents overnight.......which, well, i was hoping that if i leave it alone and turn off the hard disks and what not, then it would stay fairly cool.....

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by mikenmike0001@30 June 2004 - 02:37
    oh okay, 512 it is......... i actually wanted to put in a 1 gig of memory because i want to start learning how to use final cut pro, but supposedly people say you need at least a gig for it to run smoothly..

how do you check the temperature inside your pc again? is there a good program to download and install for that?

i'm thinking that's the reason why my last motherboard blew.......cuz i tend to turn off the monitor and let it on downloading torrents overnight.......which, well, i was hoping that if i leave it alone and turn off the hard disks and what not, then it would stay fairly cool.....
    motherboard monitor 5, or speedfan will check temps.

anything under 50 is good, over 50 is ok, over 60 is bad...

about the ram, if u want 1 gig you can buy two sticks of 512mb, and it will run at 1gig. This is what clocker was saying. Not that 1gig doesn't work, just the 1gig single sticks don't work sometimes...get it?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    yeah i got it.....um.....how about the amounts of fans that you have in your case? what's adequate...and is there a certain type that's better? i usually just go for whatever's on sale or cheap......but after what happened to my last motherboard....i'm going to be more careful

golly....a few more days till the 4th of july weekend...can't wait to see what they got on sale.....

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    Originally posted by mikenmike0001@30 June 2004 - 00:37

Theres final cut pro for windows???
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by mikenmike0001@30 June 2004 - 00:37

I didn't say NOT to install 1 GB of RAM.
    I said it might be better to do it by using two sticks of 512 rather than I GB stick.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    oh well, yeah, that's what i meant,....hahah.......there should be ads starting tomorrow, so i can check it out....

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    well, let's see.....i'm recovering after my house got broken into this past weekend....shit.....lost my laptop..........well anyways......

i installed the motherboard and cpu......into my old deck, so i kept my video card and all that.....and well....when i booted it up.nothing showed on my monitor.....power was okay, but nothing on.....so at first i thought that my video card was dead........i went to buy a 133 dollar one from frys and installed taht........and the same shit happened.....

so now i'm confused.....i got a new motherboard and video card.....and yet, i can't even go into my bios screen to adjust anything......

q1 ) hm......what's wrong.....? could my new motherboard be fried already?

also, someone mentioned to me with the new atx models that whenever you unplug your power from the case there's always a little but of leftover power circulating inside and you have to press the power button in front a few times to get it out......otherwise when you install your motherboard, it will fry along with some other components....

q2) ...is this true?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Doubt that's true, hasn't happened to me and i've done that lots of times...

Try resetting cmos, or maybe the heatsink isn't attached properly and the overheat protection is kicking in. Try reseating the heatsink...what's in between it and the cpu? arctic silver? or thermal pad? (don't say nothing...)

edit: oh ya, sorry to hear about the stolen laptop.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Twist3r
    god people breaking into your house and stealing your laptop
    I would be so pissed if someone stole my laptop

I spilt pop (soda) on my laptop the other day it sucked

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast