Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cpu/motherboard.

S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    well ive got a Geforce FX 5200 i have to look at the brand of PSU i have i think its canadian.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    lynx's Avatar .
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    damit instead of getttin ram i guess i need a god dam PSU it says Your Recommended Minimum Power Supply is 307 Watts!!

btw lynx can you please recommend a good and cheap psu off www.newegg.com that isnt on sale but is GOOD and CHEAP. thanks. o yea and with that new mobo im gettin a AMD 2800+ just to let you know. I dont want anything thats gonna blow my motherboard because im putting in alot of money upgrading my comp. :helpsmile: :helpsmile: :helpsmile:

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    i was thinking of this
    power supply is it good or too much power? :helpsmile:

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    lynx's Avatar .
    That's about the same figure I came up with, making assumptions about what else you've got.

I played about with different processors, and although the rated power only changed by about 25W, the suggested PSU varied by more than double that. I think that's because the CPU derives it's power from the 12V rail, so if you increase that the others go up too even if you don't need it.

What do you class as cheap?

Antec 350W $39
    Thermaltake 360W $39

You can spend a lot less than that if you want, but generally speaking you get what you pay for when buying PSU's. Those I've mentioned will definitely give their rated output without any fuss, I wouldn't want to run a cheaper psu anywhere near the maximum.

Edit: the one you've linked to will be just fine, plus it gives you some slack for when you upgrade your graphics card (and you will at some stage).
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Thats cool lynx i guess ill probbly go with the $39 Thermaltake one so are you totaly shure thats gonna run everything? (The new motherboard,AMD ATHLON 2800+,geforce fx 5200, im also gonna buy a new cpu cooler (Fan/heatsink) which shouldnt tak emuch power. but yea lynx give me ur final word and this is a done deal man

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Originally posted by lynx@7 July 2004 - 03:26
    Edit: the one you've linked to will be just fine, plus it gives you some slack for when you upgrade your graphics card (and you will at some stage).
    hmm well if you say that the PSU i linked you to is good would it be possibly too much power? because i dont wanna blow up this motherboard im gonna buy. :helpsmile:

i just dont want anything bad to happen to this new stuff im gonna purchase

EDIT: im also kinda strapped for Cash right now so im really unshure of what to get as far as PSU's go the Thermaltake PSU you gave me a link to sounds alright for the money.But what would you personally perfer?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    lynx's Avatar .
    A good quality psu around the 350W mark will be fine for what you are proposing, but it doesn't give you much headroom for later mods.

The Thermaltake 480W psu will also be fine, it gives you the OPTION of drawing up to 480W, but will only supply what your system demands. But it also gives you the option of upgrading parts which will require more power.

If you are likely to upgrade the graphics card in the near future, you should probably go for the 480W psu. Otherwise go for one of the lower rated psu's, the Antec would be my choice of those.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by mofos@7 July 2004 - 02:44
    well ive got a Geforce FX 5200 i have to look at the brand of PSU i have i think its canadian.

Ummm....no.

would it be possibly too much power? because i dont wanna blow up this motherboard im gonna buy. 
    To quote Tim Allen, "You can't have too much power"!
    The PSU will provide only what the motherboard can handle.

The new Alienware ALX dual graphics card rig has an 800w PSU.

Just for grins ( and any educational benefits you might derive) download MBM5 (quick, before it's gone) and watch the 12v rail as your PSU varies it's output to meet the demands of your system.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    um ok.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast