Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Time Travel?

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    If you take the theories that abound about other dimensions etc, the act may create a universe where you did and one where you didnt...

Anyone see Sliders recently?

Know when the next series starts... love that program...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    HCT's Avatar WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hey isitive can i get that book on Albert Einstien's theory of relativity?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@11 July 2004 - 17:52
    If you take the theories that abound about other dimensions etc, the act may create a universe where you did and one where you didnt...

Anyone see Sliders recently?

Know when the next series starts... love that program...
    But surely that is cross-dimensional travel, not time travel, a different kettle of fish altogether.

Look at it another way.

Either the future already exists or it doesn't.

Assume it already exists. Everything is pre-ordained, if someone is going to achieve time travel then they will already have done so, maybe in the future, and we would see the effects. We don't, so it has never happened and never will. Edit: time travel to the future would be possible though.

Now assume it doesn't exist yet. If we attempt time travel to the past we will be creating matter in that time continuum from nothing, since it will be from a future which does not yet exist. And if it doesn't exist how can it do anything in that earlier time continuum? It can't, so it will never happen. Edit: time travel to the future is not possible either, since the future does not exist.

Edit: in any case, so called time travel to the future is merely some way of waiting for the future to come around, no actual time travel involved.

I liked Sliders when it first started, but like many of this type of series the writers got stuck for ideas and it started getting silly.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    If its pre-ordained, then Time Travel could exist, as it was ordained that you'd fail to kill your grandad..

If there's free will, then it cant...because to do so causes a paradox

Therefore, if someone can now prove the existance of God....

Lynx will try and sort out the Time Travel for y'all......

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Given that we do all travel in time - it is part of the human condition - should we not be content with that. Perhaps we should at least try to master the single speed and direction we currently have before trying any fancy flips and half pipes.

Unfortunately, travelling in time, if it were possible, would undoubtedly be funded and undertaken by those who would look for some return. This would inevitably be bad for someone.

I liked Lynx's piece - very logical.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Duh.
    Haven't you guys ever heard of the Flux Capacitor?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    For the enthusiasts of time travel there is another complication, everyone assumes that if you could travel through time you will automatically "land" in the same place as you left.

However, what people fail to appreciate is that everything is in motion. The world is spinning, which in turn is orbiting the sun, which in turn is orbiting the centre of the galaxy, which in turn is moving away from every other galaxy in the universe, etc.

Chances are if you tried to travel to last tuesday, you would end up in the middle of a black void, in which case, you wouldn't be able to change anything..

When you look at all of mankinds technological achievements, with the exception of space travel, everything else has been simply mimicking or expanding on something that already occurs naturally in nature.

Time travel is a totally different sort of impossible.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I don't think that time travel is possible either, at least not in the flux capacitor sense, for the cause and effect reasons already stated.

I do think it would be possible to experience an effect which would seem a little like time travel though. Simplisticly, if one had access to a craft which was capable of a speed greater than the speed of light and then travelled in that craft for an appropriate period of time, upon slowing it would be possible to see an image of yourself approach in the rear view mirror (well, using a rear view mirror if you were in that delorian)

Great posts by barbarossa and lynx.
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-03-2007 at 11:23 AM.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I'll just take my bird of prey for a spin round the sun.

K'PLAH!

EDits:

Oh and if the m-theory model is correct, what you could do is first invent a method to travel to another dimension, one with different physical laws or somesuch, where the relative time moves in another direction or something, then you could travel back here and end up at another point in our spacetime.

Easy as pie, er.

Anyway, the key, I should imagine, is to first remove yourself from your native space/time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast