Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Poised To Destroy Most/all F

I see no problem at all. No changes at all..

What is the problem? Help me re-create what the problem is?

Oh ya my windows version. From the official release. Not that RTM (winbeta release).

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    Poster
    Originally posted by Ariel_001@9 August 2004 - 21:40
    I see no problem at all. No changes at all..

What is the problem? Help me re-create what the problem is?
    Seems my title of gloom and doom is fortunately not panning out.

You may never encounter the problem unless you use file-sharing programs, particularly E-mule or a Gnutella client aggressively.

The problem is the intial connection sequence when the program is first run is VERY LIKELY to trip this 'block all' policy if the p2p program attempts too many failed sources too quickly. It only needs to get 10 half-open connections and attempt an 11th for this to happen. Thus, trying 11 'dead' download sources might be sufficient.

However, because this Win XP SP2 'policy' cannot be changed by the user without hacking windows files (or using someone's created hacked files)...this is still a very big issue.

Some (even Microsoft representatives) have called this 'feature' a NEEDED security measure, but its not MS's 'job' to protect me, its their job to put out software without bugs in it. Problems like the TCP/IP connections isnt a flaw, its MS trying to bully its way into how I want my pc to run.

Microsoft DOESN'T know what's best.

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    Well, It the average user that has made MS’s 'job' to protect.

Most users just treat their computer like a toaster. They buy it all built and pre-configured. They don’t use any anti-virus/firewall. They install anything from anywhere.

Anyways I have used E-mule, Gnutella (Shareaza), DL some torrents all at the same time. Failed to still make that error... Maybe am doing something wrong?

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    Poster
    Originally posted by Ariel_001@10 August 2004 - 07:36
    Anyways I have used  E-mule, Gnutella (Shareaza), DL some torrents all at the same time. Failed to still make that error... Maybe am doing something wrong?
    I am SHOCKED you cannot induce the error (or rather have it happen on its own) on Shareaza.

Just having it cycle through all the bad ips needed to connect to Gnutella 1 network should cause it in under 3 seconds.

Maybe they did clean up some of the problems by increasing the 10 half-connections limit in the betas to something like 50 or 100 in the final release?
    (Question: Did you run the network administrator SP2 upgrade, or download SP2 as a 'home user' using Windows automatic upgrade?)

Shareaza should still hit that occassionally, if running in HUB mode with 100 incomplete downloads with lots of sources each.

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    I mange to re-create this error... This "fix" for this appears to work .

(Question: Did you run the network administrator SP2 upgrade, or download SP2 as a 'home user' using Windows automatic upgrade?)
    I slipstream SP2. I am now also thinking of adding a "fix" tcpip.sys to winXP setup with max out connetions set. B)

Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://img32.exs.cx/img32/9550/woot2.png' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

If you patch both tcpip.sys in the "dllcache" and "drivers" folder, windows won't complain about it.

Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@10 August 2004 - 21:48
    There is a new version out of the Patcher.

Now 2.0b

Available here: http://www.lvllord.de/4226fix/4226fix.htm

Instructions for opening 50 connections:

Just execute the EvID4226Patch20b.exe file. It will automatically find the windows
    directory and ask, if it should increase/decrease.

After a successful patch, the new TCPIP.SYS will be automatically installed.
    Windows will give a warning that changes were made. Don't let Windows
    reinstall its version. After that, the computer should be restarted.

And you're done.

----------------------------------
    For more than 50 open connections, use parameters:

Usage: EvID4226Patch20b [/L=limit] ([/W=windir] || [/F=file])

/L = Set a limit (valid values from 10-16777214)
    /W = Set the windows directory if detection fails.
        (cannot be used in combination with /F-command)
    /F = Set the file to be patched. Does not touch any other file.
        (cannot be used in combination with /W-command)

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by Ariel_001@10 August 2004 - 20:13
    I am now also thinking of adding a "fix" tcpip.sys to winXP setup with max out connetions set. B)
    I too have been trying to do just that.

I have been trying to figure out the process of the makecab. I think I have figured most of it out.

I copied the TCPIP.SYS file to C:\ then From the prompt I typed:

C:\>MAKECAB /L C:\ TCPIP.SYS

The TCPIP.SY_ file shows up in C:\

Now my question is. If I insert that file into the i386 folder and create a CD, will it work properly?

I heard something about a CRC check. Won't the installation refuse the new TCPIP.SY_ during the installation?

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+11 August 2004 - 01:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 @ 11 August 2004 - 01:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ariel_001@10 August 2004 - 20:13
    I am now also thinking of adding a "fix" tcpip.sys to winXP setup with max out connetions set. B)

I have been trying to figure out the process of the makecab. I think I have figured most of it out.

I copied the TCPIP.SYS file to C:&#092; then From the prompt I typed:

C:&#092;>MAKECAB /L C:&#092; TCPIP.SYS

The TCPIP.SY_ file shows up in C:&#092;

Now my question is. If I insert that file into the i386 folder and create a CD, will it work properly?

I heard something about a CRC check. Won&#39;t the installation refuse the new TCPIP.SY_ during the installation? [/b][/quote]
    Are you Virtual from LvlLord? B)

Anyways quoting from MSFN

Place both ModifyPE.exe and uxtheme.dll in the same directory. Open up Command Prompt and browse to the directory
    containing the two files. Run:
    modifyPE.exe uxtheme.dll -c
    then...
    makecab uxtheme.dll
    Having done that, you should have a compressed uxtheme.dl_ file (which was the purpose of using makecab). All you have
    to do now is copy uxtheme.dl_ to your i386 directory and overwrite when prompted.
    Because we used modifyPE on the uxtheme.dll file, this edits the CRC header so Windows XP Setup will no longer attempt
    to abort the file copy. Instead it will allow the file through without prompting anything.
    However, it will be logged in setuperr.log when Windows has finished installing, which will mention that the file isn&#39;t
    digitally signed. There&#39;s nothing to worry about as the original Microsoft uxtheme.dll file doesn&#39;t exist in either dllcache or
    on the CD, so there&#39;s no way it can be replaced back to its original version :-)
    According to LvlLord " the CRC is been corrected". But you can always try "modifyPE.exe TCPIP.SYS -c" to fix that.

ModPE: http://unattended.msfn.org/files/modpe081.zip

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    the fix is also on suprnova. couldn&#39;t i just not install sp2?

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by Ariel_001+11 August 2004 - 06:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ariel_001 &#064; 11 August 2004 - 06:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@11 August 2004 - 01:15
    <!--QuoteBegin-Ariel_001
    @10 August 2004 - 20:13

I copied the TCPIP.SYS file to C:&#092; then From the prompt I typed:

C:&#092;>MAKECAB /L C:&#092; TCPIP.SYS

The TCPIP.SY_ file shows up in C:&#092;

I heard something about a CRC check. Won&#39;t the installation refuse the new TCPIP.SY_ during the installation?
    Are you Virtual from LvlLord? B)

Anyways quoting from MSFN

Place both ModifyPE.exe and uxtheme.dll in the same directory. Open up Command Prompt and browse to the directory
    containing the two files. Run:
    modifyPE.exe uxtheme.dll -c
    then...
    makecab uxtheme.dll
    Having done that, you should have a compressed uxtheme.dl_ file (which was the purpose of using makecab). All you have
    to do now is copy uxtheme.dl_ to your i386 directory and overwrite when prompted.
    Because we used modifyPE on the uxtheme.dll file, this edits the CRC header so Windows XP Setup will no longer attempt
    to abort the file copy. Instead it will allow the file through without prompting anything.
    However, it will be logged in setuperr.log when Windows has finished installing, which will mention that the file isn&#39;t
    digitally signed. There&#39;s nothing to worry about as the original Microsoft uxtheme.dll file doesn&#39;t exist in either dllcache or
    on the CD, so there&#39;s no way it can be replaced back to its original version :-)
    According to LvlLord " the CRC is been corrected". But you can always try "modifyPE.exe TCPIP.SYS -c" to fix that.

ModPE: http://unattended.msfn.org/files/modpe081.zip [/b][/quote]
    Thankyou for the helpful information but...

I had already figured it out.

I made a new TCPIP.SYS with 400 connections then used the modifyPE and makecab to create a compressed TCPIP.SY_. I replaced the TCPIP.SY_ in the CD files then I burnt a new slipstreamed CD.

I have just finished testing it. The new freshly installed system shows 400 open connections without having made any changes.

Yay&#33; It worked.

So now every time I install with that CD the 400 connections are open.

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    I also made my own copy using Virtual PC..

I did not use modifyPE.exe, but it still seems to work..

Works great. No problems.. Max out (half-open) connections. B)

Image Resized
    [img]http://img26.exs.cx/img26/6742/TCP_TEST_PATCH.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast