Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MLB Star Admits To Taking Steroids

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    It is rather sad that it has become so commonplace for top sportsmen to take these things.

I was, however, rather taken with the tale of one (Jamaican, I think) athlete who failed a drugs test - they found he had been smoking cannabis. Surely he should have been given a head start and anything distracting removed from his line of sight.
    Yes; he was a long-distance runner, if memory serves...

Lost a big race to score some corn chips from a spectator or something?

Sounds right.

"Hey, you!! No food on the field!!"
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Sports Club   -   #12
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    In this situation though, what would the rest of you like see happen ?Should Giambi be allowed to play anymore ? Should Bonds be allowed to play on, and overtake 2 of the best Power hitters in baseball history, cheating for the last few years ?

3. Sports Club   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by RPerry
    In this situation though, what would the rest of you like see happen ?Should Giambi be allowed to play anymore ? Should Bonds be allowed to play on, and overtake 2 of the best Power hitters in baseball history, cheating for the last few years ?
    Shoeless Joe was banned for life.

Pete Rose should never be allowed into the H.O.F.

Both men were punished over gambling/betting offenses (evidence in Joe's case was somewhat tenuous).

Use of steroids must surely account for some "home-runs" that, in other cases, would have been flyouts or doubles, which would definitely affect outcomes of games and the betting likewise.

I say banish them and take an eraser to the record books; make Bonds return his MVPs, and launch a full-scale investigation with mandatory drug-screens for everybody, and the next season doesn't start until this is done.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Sports Club   -   #14
    if something were to be done purely for the sake of preserving the sport's integrity, there'd be no question about it. catch all of the cheaters and give 'em the boot. when these stories started coming up again, on one hand i thought "i can't believe all of the commentators are even considering the possibility that the MLB will let this slide, let phoney stats remain on the books, let phoney players into the hall of fame, etc." but on the other hand, i could believe it 'cause pro sports are not just sport; they're also business. to seriously pursue the issue, and reveal just how widespread the steroid problem is, would be damaging to not only the images of those players in particular, but to the image of the sport as a whole and to the wallets of the teams' owners. so, somehow, i could easily imagine them trying to sweep it all under the rug as quickly as possible and hoping the fans forget about it after a while, 'cause... $. and $. and $$$.

5. Sports Club   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RA1N1AC
    if something were to be done purely for the sake of preserving the sport's integrity, there'd be no question about it. catch all of the cheaters and give 'em the boot. when these stories started coming up again, on one hand i thought "i can't believe all of the commentators are even considering the possibility that the MLB will let this slide, let phoney stats remain on the books, let phoney players into the hall of fame, etc." but on the other hand, i could believe it 'cause pro sports are not just sport; they're also business. to seriously pursue the issue, and reveal just how widespread the steroid problem is, would be damaging to not only the images of those players in particular, but to the image of the sport as a whole and to the wallets of the teams' owners. so, somehow, i could easily imagine them trying to sweep it all under the rug as quickly as possible and hoping the fans forget about it after a while, 'cause... $. and $. and $$$.
    I agree...

I don't think the "sweeping" part will happen (unsuccessful attempts to do so will surely be made), but it will certainly be amusing to observe the tortured logic emitted by the players union, the agents, and legal mouthpieces trying to salvage a situation that would be best (and most easily) handled by abject acceptance that a problem exists, penalties must be handed out, sins confessed, records re-written, and amends be made.

And Barry Bonds should drop the attitude (better yet, he should retire).

-Mark Twain

6. Sports Club   -   #16
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    I agree...

I don't think the "sweeping" part will happen (unsuccessful attempts to do so will surely be made), but it will certainly be amusing to observe the tortured logic emitted by the players union, the agents, and legal mouthpieces trying to salvage a situation that would be best (and most easily) handled by abject acceptance that a problem exists, penalties must be handed out, sins confessed, records re-written, and amends be made.

And Barry Bonds should drop the attitude (better yet, he should retire).
    Barry Bonds will break Babe's then Hank's records.

He would be a fool to take steroids now yet he still hits home runs and looks the same.

Fishing expedition is over.

I heard nothing of Mark Mcgwire's record. Mr. Andro
    Last edited by Busyman; 12-10-2004 at 02:25 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. Sports Club   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Barry Bonds will break Babe's then Hank's records.

He would be a fool to take steroids now yet he still hits home runs and looks the same.

Fishing expedition is over.

I heard nothing of Mark Mcgwire's record. Mr. Andro
    Is it your contention Bonds is something other than a steroid user, B?

He "looks the same"?

The same as what?

This is not now, nor has it ever been, "a fishing expedition".

It is instead the culmination and confirmation of what has been suspected for quite some time.

I believe androstenadione (McGwire's fave) should be officially "outlawed", and McGwire's stats questioned also.

I didn't mention him in other posts as his name is not (yet) part of the story extant.

Thanks for the reminder, though; McGwire should not escape the eraser.

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12