Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going To XP Soon Some Advice

harrycary's Avatar Poster
    You guys just don't get it.

Using the "upgrade" version is a clean install.

There is no "installing over" an existing O/S.

As I've explained before, after inserting the WinXP "upgrade" CD you can completely format your hardrive and you will then begin a clean install.

You will be prompted to insert your Win98 or WinME disc just to confirm that you've purchased Windows before. It doesn't extract any data from it.

Don't be fooled by Microsofts' clever marketing scheme. Buy the upgrade if given the choice.
    Last edited by harrycary; 01-29-2005 at 03:36 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    camstuf's Avatar Poster
    be very careful with SP2, some have no problems, I lost everything.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by harrycary
    You guys just don't get it.

Using the "upgrade" version is a clean install.

There is no "installing over" an existing O/S.

As I've explained before, after inserting the WinXP "upgrade" CD you can completely format your hardrive and you will then begin a clean install.

You will be prompted to insert your Win98 or WinME disc just to confirm that you've purchased Windows before. It doesn't extract any data from it.

Don't be fooled by Microsofts' clever marketing scheme. Buy the upgrade if given the choice.

He is right about that. You will need a win98/me cd.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    LISTEN TO HARRYCARY!!! Get the upgrade that you posted a link to. You can save about a hundred pounds. The upgrade is just the same as the full thing, only it will ask you to stick the old version disk in during the installation process to verify that you actually owned Windows before. You can still do a "clean install" and not have any of your old win98 crap left on the drive. It's exactly the same, just about a hundred pounds cheaper. Go with what you were looking at.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12