Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Much Money Does This War Cost The Americans?

Originally posted by zhelynd@5 April 2003 - 23:36
    Missels are kept in fridges and under cold temperatures. And they do have a fairly long lifespan. All missles, i guess for average, can last at least a year.
    what the war does is it used up the missels from reserve, so the arm factories have to produce additional missels to fill up the reserve. my conclusion is that war does consume additional missels, alot more.

Anunal military cost and the cost of this war are 2 different figures. Whatever the war costs is considered a variable cost, which is the 74.7 billion. It's on top of the fixed cost for missel deteriation, solderd died in exercise and other non-war military expenses.

Is 75b really not alot to the American government, even during a slow economy such as the one right now? I doubt that.
    well does ne1 know how big the US economy is? greenspan? huge...

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Originally posted by zhelynd@5 April 2003 - 23:36
    Missels are kept in fridges and under cold temperatures. And they do have a fairly long lifespan. All missles, i guess for average, can last at least a year.
    At least a year?
    Actually, a bit more than that.
    As for refridgeration, our larger missiles, ie nuclear intercontinental missiles, (Trident, Polaris, etc), are kept in climate controlled rooms.
    Partly because the cost of building more is prohibitive but also because we can't run training excersizes with nukes.
    In other words, we have a fluid supply of weapons in most areas except our nuclear arsenal which is fairly static.

what the war does is it used up the missels from reserve, so the arm factories have to produce additional missels to fill up the reserve. my conclusion is that war does consume additional missels, alot more.
    You've obviously never lived life on a budget yet.
    Ask your parents what reserve funds means?
    Thats what reserve missiles means too, basically.
    Rebuilding our arsenal is standard.
    And because of the experience these fine young men are getting right now, we won't need to do live fire excersizes for a couple of years.

Anunal military cost and the cost of this war are 2 different figures. Whatever the war costs is considered a variable cost, which is the 74.7 billion. It's on top of the fixed cost for missel deteriation, solderd died in exercise and other non-war military expenses.

Is 75b really not alot to the American government, even during a slow economy such as the one right now? I doubt that
    75bil is alot. However,
    the biggest expense we saw was for homeland security.
    That is effecting this country on many levels, most of which are not reflected in the federal budget because the federal government doesn't foot most of the bill. Private companies cover that cost in upscaled security measures.
    Also, revenues are down in some areas like air travel because of American concerns over terrorists. There are other expenses of 9/11 that go a bit deeper.
    As a counter balance, travel by other means has increased and travel within the U.S. has replaced alot of travel abroad.
    Also, people are making a bigger effort to avoid buying foreign made products due to an increased patriotism.
    I personally consider it fortunate that we had a considerable budget surplus from the efforts of Daddy Bush and Clinton to reduce spending.
    That means that the events of 9/11 didn't throw us into as much of a crunch as it could have.
    And it gives me the confidence that we have the means to dig out of this one.

The war is a very small cost in this country when weighed against the cost of not going to war.

As for our budget for this year, check out this page: http://www.cbo.gov/
    We have a 2 Trillion dollar budget per year.

Yes, 75 Billion, (which is 3.75% of the budget), is alot.
    We'll survive though.
    You don't need to worry about us.

Peace

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Originally posted by zhelynd@2 April 2003 - 22:03
    "Why does the federal government want to spend $344 billion on the Pentagon,
    when the federal government currently spends only $42 billion on education, $26
    billion on affordable housing, $6 billion on Head Start, and only $1 billion on school
    construction? Does it appear that our national priorities are mixed up or what?"

The federal government spends that much on education, head start and housing?
    Damn. Thats cool.

Those are state run programs. Its nice to know the federal government helps out.

Thanks for the info dude.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123