Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just found a snake in my bedroom!!!

fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    I know the coral snake has a lookalike, but can't remember if the coral snake was the venemous one or not
    yeah teh coral is teh bad one
    but you can distinguish between a color pattern,
    or possibly even a variation on the nose I think,
    to determine wether or not you need to watch yer anus

hey I found the article I was reading a while back....
    seems the Cottonmouth & Copperhead can get mixed up....
    so he coulda had an even more venomous snake

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herp...e/venomsnk.htm

Comments: This beautiful snake is often confused with juvenile cottonmouths. If you found one in Florida outside the Apalachicola River valley or the extreme western end of the panhandle, chances are you have a young Cottonmouth and not a Copperhead. ‘Copperheads’ are often reported from south Florida, and the people who found them become quite belligerent when their mistake is pointed out. The two species are easy to distinguish because the dark bars on juvenile Cottonmouths have numerous dark spots and speckles in them, while the dark bars on the Copperhead have no dark spots or at most only one. Also the eye of the Copperhead is not obscured by the dark facial band typical of the Cottonmouth.

Hatchling copperheads hold the tail erect and wiggle the yellow tip like a caterpillar to attract prey within striking range.

Copperhead bites are extremely painful but usually are not life-threatening for healthy adults. They can be dangerous to children or older citizens in poor health. As with all venomous snakebites, the victim should seek immediate medical care from a physician or hospital experienced in treating snakebite.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Fuck what everyone else said, you should have killed it.

1. Why take the chance?

2. How often do you get snakes in house?

You can apologize to PETA later.

Skizo, I hope you aren't fibbing about this and this wasn't just you hitting puberty or something.
    Last edited by Busyman; 05-10-2005 at 02:20 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Lounge   -   #13
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Fuck what everyone else said, you should have killed it.

1. Why take the chance?

2. How often do you get snakes in house?

You can apologize to PETA later.

Skizo, I hope you aren't fibbing about this and this wasn't just you hitting puberty or something.
    no he hasn't done that yet.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Yup, should have killed it and went on a 3 week rampagecull of all fauna in a seventeen mile radius.

You know ... justincase
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    I know the coral snake has a lookalike, but can't remember if the coral snake was the venemous one or not
    Btw, adders > All U.S. snakes
    Yes Manker, The Coral snake is the venomous one, and its look-alike is the King snake. The Coral snake is very small though, and I can't remember the last time I heard of anyone who wasn't trying to pick one up being bitten by one. If I were going to fear any of Florida's snakes, it would be a Diamondback Rattler anyway

6. Lounge   -   #16
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by RPerry
    Yes Manker, The Coral snake is the venomous one, and its look-alike is the King snake. The Coral snake is very small though, and I can't remember the last time I heard of anyone who wasn't trying to pick one up being bitten by one. If I were going to fear any of Florida's snakes, it would be a Diamondback Rattler anyway
    That's right, Brian already intimated that it was the coral snake which was venomous but you've reminded me of the documentary I seen ages ago. I do remember now about it being docile.

Seems weird how a species as unevolved as snakes can have such a variety of temperaments.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    That's right, Brian already intimated that it was the coral snake which was venomous but you've reminded me of the documentary I seen ages ago. I do remember now about it being docile.

Seems weird how a species as unevolved as snakes can have such a variety of temperaments.
    Sorry, somehow I scrolled past Brians post ( sorry to you too FKDUP74)
    however, as I said the Coral snake is very small, and if you can see its nose, you are way too damn close Easiest way to tell is that on a King snake, the yellow and red bands are separated by black. On the Coral snake, the red and yellow touch.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I said the snake I killed last night was about a foot long. Here's a pic of a similar snake.

Some of you need to look up copperhead snakes before saying things like I needed to pick him up and put him outside. This is a very venemous snake and is known for biting people. Where I come from in a small Texas town, I spend/spent alot of time in the woods and I've come across these snakes on several occasions.

The copperhead is actually quite destinquisable from the cottonmouth. The copperhead has very light coloring on most ocassions and the cottonmouth has darker colors and tends to be fat looking with a flatter bottom. Both of these snakes are previlent in Texas.

Also, killing it was the right thing to do no doubt. What you do if you found say a rattlesnake in your house? The thing could kill you ffs. A copperhead isn't as venomous as a rattlesnake, but it can kill you.

yo

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    I'm surprised you didn't shoot it ,I thought it was law for everyone in Texas to carry a gun at all times

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    I said the snake I killed last night was about a foot long. Here's a pic of a similar snake.

Some of you need to look up copperhead snakes before saying things like I needed to pick him up and put him outside. This is a very venemous snake and is known for biting people. Where I come from in a small Texas town, I spend/spent alot of time in the woods and I've come across these snakes on several occasions.

The copperhead is actually quite destinquisable from the cottonmouth. The copperhead has very light coloring on most ocassions and the cottonmouth has darker colors and tends to be fat looking with a flatter bottom. Both of these snakes are previlent in Texas.

Also, killing it was the right thing to do no doubt. What you do if you found say a rattlesnake in your house? The thing could kill you ffs. A copperhead isn't as venomous as a rattlesnake, but it can kill you.
    You have to remember there are many tree hugging PETA members here.

That snake's life is just as important as yours...even more so if it's cute and cuddly.
    Last edited by Busyman; 05-10-2005 at 06:41 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast