Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: computer locks up after playing games

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I still say this is NOT a hardware issue.
    If it were, the PC would lock while the games are running not when they've closed.
    Something is wrong with the software environment...either drivers, Windows or the game itself.

At least that would be my guess.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    JMK's Avatar Blah
    Well, I have the latest drivers for my video card. I went to www.nvidia.com and downloaded them, but the games still lock up. I'm doubting the fact that it could be with my windows due to me just reformating it. Unless, it is service pack 2 screwing something up.

I'm going to update my bios see if that'll help.
    Last edited by JMK; 06-20-2005 at 05:11 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    TheNobleEU's Avatar Post Count Slacker
    Quote Originally Posted by JMK
    Everytime i get done playing the bf2 demo, cs source, doom3, and any other game that i play my computer not always but 90% of the time locks up only after closing the game.
    Just to chime in here...

The BF2 demo has a known memory leak, and I've seen several people comment on it on other boards. Game runs flawlessly, but takes like 30 seconds to quit, and then leaves all kinds of garbage in your memory so that to recover your system response time you have to hard boot.

This isn't a temp, and unlikely to be a hardware issue. Lockups on game shutdown sounds like trouble not in initiating, but shutting down software 3D acceleration/rendering. Reinstalling board graphics/Direct-x/video card drivers in that order might help.

HTH,
    -Noble
    Last edited by TheNobleEU; 06-20-2005 at 05:50 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i blame the RAM. get another 512

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    TheNobleEU's Avatar Post Count Slacker
    It's unlikely to be system (CPU/GPU) temperatures, even more unlikely to be RAM-related, probably not any other hardware.

If it was hardware or temps, games would typically produce artifacts before freezing (temps), would either fail totally to initialize acceleration or crash the game(s) immediately (hardware), or you'd get a error code with module access error message (RAM).

Sound like he's playing games fine until he shuts down? More info please.

Cheers,
    -Noble

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    JMK's Avatar Blah
    My games wouldn't really do anything. You'd go to exit and then everything would freeze (no artifacts) and the sound would repeat over and over really quick. I also wouldnt get any error messages of any kind, my screen would just freeze.

Well, I updated my bios (someone suggested earlier) and I think it may of been the problem. So far none of the games have froze. Hopefully it stays this way
    Last edited by JMK; 06-20-2005 at 09:45 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123