Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: If a tree falls in the forest and there is nobody around..

Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip The Jacker
    I knew that would happen so now do you like it...

HUH!!

3. Lounge   -   #23
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    Seriously, how the hell is that a brain teaser?

It's going to make a sound, even if no one is around... to say it doesn't make noise is pure stupid...

Actually, a "sound" is the ability to appreciate certain frequencies(vibrations) of compression and expansion of air.

For instance, a falling tree creates a frequency that your ear translates into "sound".

But, similarilarly when J2 mistakes the umbilical cord for a johnson during an ultrasound exam and starts babbling "chip off the ole block" and such, the transducer is creating vibrations that are beyond our ears ability to appreciate them. I guess that is why they call it ULTRA sound.

So yes, a wave of perceptible frequency to humans is emitted when a tree falls in the woods, but a "sound" is only heard by any being in the area able to perceive that frequency.

A deaf person would say that it makes no sound.

Do radiowaves make a sound? Only if we have a receiver able to pick them up and change the frequency into one we can appreciate. We are radio frequency deaf.

That's just so much pish it's inbeleivable.

Oh and it's not a "teaser" or riddle Tessco, it's a koan.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    tesco, single "s"

I never thought I'd see the day what I correct JP

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Proper Bo
    tesco, single "s"

I never thought I'd see the day what I correct JP
    Oh dear, oh dear dear dear .... and you, of all people.

BTW do you know what TESCO stands for.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    low prices?

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Proper Bo
    low prices?

A great price and a great deal more, as I remember it.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    Actually, a "sound" is the ability to appreciate certain frequencies(vibrations) of compression and expansion of air.

For instance, a falling tree creates a frequency that your ear translates into "sound".

But, similarilarly when J2 mistakes the umbilical cord for a johnson during an ultrasound exam and starts babbling "chip off the ole block" and such, the transducer is creating vibrations that are beyond our ears ability to appreciate them. I guess that is why they call it ULTRA sound.

So yes, a wave of perceptible frequency to humans is emitted when a tree falls in the woods, but a "sound" is only heard by any being in the area able to perceive that frequency.

A deaf person would say that it makes no sound.

Do radiowaves make a sound? Only if we have a receiver able to pick them up and change the frequency into one we can appreciate. We are radio frequency deaf.
    No, what you are referring to is 'hearing'. Deaf people cannot hear. Because they cannot hear a sound does not preclude that no sound is there.

It has always amused me that people (students, mainly) debate this as if they're clever, when all they are doing is proving that they're a little green.

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK
    No, what you are referring to is 'hearing'. Deaf people cannot hear. Because they cannot hear a sound does not preclude that no sound is there.

It has always amused me that people (students, mainly) debate this as if they're clever, when all they are doing is proving that they're a little green.
    Exactly.

The damn sound is there, even if you aren't there to hear it. There is nothing to debate...

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK

Exactly.

The damn sound is there, even if you aren't there to hear it. There is nothing to debate...
    But it's not really about that, it's not a physics question, it's a famous Zen koan. It's something to think about and to meditate on.

How can you know anything that you do not directly experience.

Just realize, there is no spoon.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast