Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Car accident.

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman
    his muffler was hanging 3 inches or so, but it was fine.

Since he was an old man, I don't think it would have mattered too much if you'd hurt his "muffler"...

Seriously, good luck in proving it wasn't your fault, but I don't know if you will be able to unless the police decide to help out a bit more.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    manker's Avatar effendi
    It was a 2 lane road, he made a right turn into the left lane, I thought he was going straight, and then he just stopped, I slammed the breaks and skidded into him, my car sank down when it skidded, I went under his car and caught my radiator and head light on his bumper and moved them back about a foot. His car had some scratches, and his muffler was hanging 3 inches or so, but it was fine.
    Seems to me like you were prolly going a bit fast and possibly culpable of not being aware of the surrounding traffic - at least that's what their insurance representatives will say.

However, as you rightly state, he made a right turn into a left lane (duno if it's illegal, you seem to be sure it is) - so that's him slightly fecked.

Both parties could be said to be at fault.

Get a solicitor or let the insurance companies fight it out.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Well the law is you can't switch lanes without driving 100ft in your current lane, so he never even went in the right lane, and the left turn was no more that 40 feet from the parking lot exit. But is that enough?

4. Lounge   -   #34
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Well the law is you can't switch lanes without driving 100ft in your current lane, so he never even went in the right lane, and the left turn was no more that 40 feet from the parking lot exit. But is that enough?
    Feck knows, most of us replying here are from the UK and don't have the slightest about US highway laws.

Vid probably knows your laws better - but he's more concerned with you learning a valuable life lesson
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Feck knows, most of us replying here are from the UK and don't have the slightest about US highway laws.
    I know they drive on the wrong side of the road, that's about it.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa
    I know they drive on the wrong side of the road, that's about it.
    All their cars look like trucks and do about six miles to the gallon.

Also, the roads don't have corners and roundabouts are too tricky for them, so they don't have any

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...1,0.002516&t=h

Heres a map of where it happened, on remsen, the exit in the parking lot is a little more to the left though. The roads were wet, I couldn't do anything there was a car going the same speed next to me, and well the other side of the road was fucked too.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    It sounds like they need to phase out junctions altogether.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    How can you tell that he is responsible.
    his account of events.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    How can you tell that he is responsible.
    his account of events.
    Don't you mean your interpretation of his account of events. Yes. Yes you do.

I've seen the same account of events and I don't believe it to be clear cut. A traffic cop either witnessed events or reacted to his account of events and said that it wasn't clear cut (60:40 in Duffman's favour, actually).

Unless you've been hiding a clairvoyance talent under a bushel, you're in the same boat as him, me, and the traffic cop. You really don't know who is responsible.

Hence imploring him to take responsibility for the accident is a trifle premature.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast