Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is it actually worthwhile building your own PC any more.

Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I built my last three computers myself. I prefer it because I can take bits out of the old system and add bits later on. I'm too cheap to buy one of these prebuilt things. In fact, I am still using the same keyboard, speakers and case as what came with my first PC (which was built by a mate for me).

Each build cost me around £600 ($729300).

AMD 2100+
    Radeon 8500
    512MB 2700 Ram
    80 gb hard drive

AMD 2500+
    9800Pro
    1GB 2700 Ram
    80gb hard drive
    160 gb hard drive

AMD 3400+
    9800Pro
    1GB 3200 Ram
    80gb hard drive
    2 x 160 gb hard drive

AMD 4200X2
    Gecube X1800XT
    2 x 1GB 3200 Ram
    300 GB hard drive
    2 x 160 gb hard drive

Does the fact that I still house my machines in the original case mean it is the same computer?
    Last edited by Cheese; 03-23-2006 at 01:36 PM.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    Does the fact that I still house my machines in the original case mean it is the same computer?
    I would say so, kinda like the perverbial old family hatchet- it's had 16 handles and 5 different heads, but it was never compleatly replaced at any one time, so it is still considered the same hatchet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    AMD 4200X2
    Gecube X1800XT
    2 x 1GB 3200 Ram
    300 GB hard drive
    2 x 160 gb hard drive
    nice specs- what motherboard?
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempestv
    nice specs- what motherboard?
    Asus A8N-VM. I've got no complaints, but I think it will be the next piece to be upgraded.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    DorisInsinuate's Avatar Four Star Cynic
    Please stop that. You'll give The Lounge Hardware AiDs.
    It's hot in Topeka.

5. Lounge   -   #35
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    There are several downsides to buying a pre-built PC that far outweigh the money issue.
    The use of proprietary parts (think Dell/eMachines PSUs) makes replacement/upgrading difficult if not impossible.
    You don't get an "install" version of the OS. Most (if not all) manufacturers now include an image of your install (and many appropriate a partition on the HDD to store it). These images are preloaded with all sorts of useless advertising crap and "trial versions" of programs you wouldn't want anyway (think AOL).

Contrary to popular belief, most manufactered PCs carry only a 60 day warranty- anything more must be purchased. Because they are using "OEM" parts, you could be SOL if anything breaks after two months...even a part like the CPU which normally comes with a 1 or 3 year guarantee, is limited to the 60 day period. Could be expensive if something big goes...

Manufacturer software support is notoriously crappy.
    Your motherboard may be physically capable of using a dual-core processor but if Dell doesn't see fit to release a BIOS flash to support it, well, too bad.

All in all, if you are capable of building your own PC (and most folks are) you should do it.
    Assuming you pick the right combination of parts (which is the hard part of the whole deal anyway) the chances of getting exactly what you want (and being able to deal with it for a few years) are much higher.

But you knew I'd say that, didn't you?

I'm taking that as a yes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234