Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Large Legal Music Download Site Opens. CD Media Dead? End to Music Piracy?

dnero73's Avatar Poster
    yeah i´m curious someone post how it is

2. News (Archive)   -   #22
    punki_rach's Avatar El Chupanibre BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    yeah me too. Sounds kinda interesting but I doubt it'l stop me using torrents

3. News (Archive)   -   #23
    slygamer
    hmm well here we go:

I loaded it up and to my surprise the interface they have showed on their website is the basic layout, except that the search engine for music by band, artist, etc is not there. Very strange but it is in beta.

It came with bookmarks of mp3 search engine sites to dl music, which is full on mp3, i dont believe that it has drm, although it did not check the music yet. The downloads come from http sites in one the bookmark's. I did not see any P2P search engine like in Limewire, Bearshare, etc. like normal P2P clients have.

Music downloads pretty fast, and yea thats pretty much it for the beta at this point. If i find out more information about it i will let more people know.

I do not believe that they have the P2P part down yet, because the home page in the client is like a developer page. But will update more later.

4. News (Archive)   -   #24
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Music file-share site Qtrax forced into humiliating U-turn

A website which promised to give music lovers the world's first legal file-sharing service was forced into a humiliating climbdown today after it emerged that the company had not secured the backing of the record industry.

Qtrax, a New York firm, unveiled its service with a glitzy £500,000 launch in Cannes at the weekend, hiring stars including James Blunt, LL Cool J.

Today it emerged that none of the four major labels had done deals with the site, putting a large dent in the promised catalogue of 25 million songs and prompting allegations that the site's founders had misled fans.

EMI, Warner, Sony BMG and Universal all confirmed that they had not agreed deals with Qtrax which would allow fans to download their music for free in return for being exposed to advertising on the site. Warner and Universal said that they were in negotiations with the site.

Qtrax's founders insisted that they had not misled fans, and that they would not have launched the service if they had not secured the backing of the industry. They admitted, however, that the "ink hadn't dried" on some of the deals.

Qtrax executives spent an estimated £500,000 at a music conference in Cannes trying to convince the industry that their site would allow labels to begin recovering the losses that have resulted from widespread illegal downloading and the subsequent decline in CD sales.

The site purports to work by allowing fans to download and own songs that they could play on their portable media players – for free – so long as they put up with a limited amount of advertising on the Qtrax site while searching for songs.

A spokesman for Universal, the largest of the labels, told Times Online today that it was "in discussion" with Qtrax, but that no agreement was in place. A source at Warner said: "Warner Music Group has not authorised the use of our content on Qtrax's recently announced service."

Both Sony BMG and EMI also confirmed to Times Online that Qtrax did not have the right to use their recorded music catalogue - contradicting a statement on Qtrax's site, which was down periodically during the morning because of 'overwhelming demand', that its users would have access to 25 million songs.

Questioned by The Times in Cannes today, Alan Klepfisz, Qtrax's flamboyant chief executive, insisted that he had not misled the industry or music fans.

"We are not idiots," he said."We wouldn’t have launched the service in front of the whole music industry unless we had secured its backing. We feel we have been unfairly crucified because a competitor tried to damage us. Everyone is very upset."

Mr Klepfisz's company put posters in Cannes claiming that the launch of the service would be the "second coming," and hired stars including James Blunt, LL Cool J and Don Henley of the Eagles for the event.

"We do have industry agreements including the major labels. Even today we are working on more deals," Mr Klepfisz said. He added that although "ink hadn't dried" on some of the deals, Qtrax still planned to deliver on its promises "within months."

The music industry has for a long time been flirting with the idea of delivering songs 'for free' via the internet and making money through advertising, but so far all the sites which offer such a service let listeners 'stream' songs, rather than download them.

The advantage of streaming – for the record labels – is that the user must be connected to the internet while they listen, meaning that ads can be delivered during the session. But most music players – including iPods – aren't yet connected to the internet, meaning such services have limited appeal.

Qtrax has said its users will be able to download songs – making it potentially much more user-friendly, but also more of a headache for the labels, who want to be able to closely monitor what users are listening to.

Qtrax users have to download software to use the service, and are also encouraged to 'dock' their music player with their computer every 30 days so that the service can ascertain which songs have been played.

The service, which uses Digital Rights Management software, is also hampered by the fact that it is not yet compatible with Apple's iPod, the market leader in portable media players. Qtrax has said an iPod-compatible version of its software will be available as soon as April.

source

5. News (Archive)   -   #25
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Read that last paragraph of Broken's post-quote.

The service, which uses Digital Rights Management software, is also hampered by the fact that it is not yet compatible with Apple's iPod, the market leader in portable media players. Qtrax has said an iPod-compatible version of its software will be available as soon as April.

Same ol' problem. It's just better that I control my own damn music file/library.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

6. News (Archive)   -   #26
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Yea, when I first came across this it was actually on the news.
    I thought this was really going to be something ground breaking - Imagine, the record industry trying to work with people to get the the music they are gonna take anyways. Trying to get in on some of the millions (even billions?) they are losing.

All well, not in this life time.

7. News (Archive)   -   #27
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Quote Originally Posted by slygamer View Post
    hmm well here we go:

I loaded it up and to my surprise the interface they have showed on their website is the basic layout, except that the search engine for music by band, artist, etc is not there. Very strange but it is in beta.

It came with bookmarks of mp3 search engine sites to dl music, which is full on mp3, i dont believe that it has drm, although it did not check the music yet. The downloads come from http sites in one the bookmark's. I did not see any P2P search engine like in Limewire, Bearshare, etc. like normal P2P clients have.

Music downloads pretty fast, and yea thats pretty much it for the beta at this point. If i find out more information about it i will let more people know.

I do not believe that they have the P2P part down yet, because the home page in the client is like a developer page. But will update more later.
    i toyed with it briefly, and wasn't able to dl anything successfully, it just said "error loading page". i did see where you are supposed to enter a username and password, perhaps that's why it didn't work. on their website they admit they aren't letting full account signup at the moment. i'll try again later, if anyone else wants to share their experience i'd like to hear.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123