Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any1 who knows free USENET server where the are ??

Quote Originally Posted by tusks View Post
    Roadrunner is 100 days retention. Can max out an 8mb/s line on off peak hours.
    Pretty sure the max DL is very low. Comcast uses Giganews which is great but you only get 2 gigs a month.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Pray 4 Death View Post
    Pretty sure the max DL is very low. Comcast uses Giganews which is great but you only get 2 gigs a month.
    There's no download cap on Roadrunner.. at least, if there is, I have never hit it...

I can max out 10mbps on Roadrunner, off peak hours from their own usenet server.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Oh come on, I've had RR for 10 years and I've never been able to MAX out my connection with them, and I live in a small town, and I'm at the beginning of my connection and I have a very fast pipe. Here are two screenshots listed below showing my speed so you can see I'm not pulling your leg.

If RR is letting you max out an 8MB line on their server then consider yourself very lucky because it typically never happens.

Here's a test of my connection on Speedtest.net

Here is the local speedtest for RR in my area:

I just installed Newsleecher, haven't had it on my box in a while and fired up a .nzb running off of RR, here's what my 8MB line at 1:am is giving me, only getting in the 500K speed averages on this...

Quote Originally Posted by EyeBaller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pray 4 Death View Post

There's no download cap on Roadrunner.. at least, if there is, I have never hit it...

I can max out 10mbps on Roadrunner, off peak hours from their own usenet server.

You guys are pulling my leg maxing out Usenet with RoadRunner. I would like to see some screen shots taken at different times on a download, and where are you living, and what ports are you using, clients, and how many connections?

The only time I got my 8MB maxed out was with Newshosting.com
    Last edited by DasFox; 02-28-2008 at 11:02 AM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by DasFox View Post
    You guys are pulling my leg maxing out Usenet with RoadRunner. I would like to see some screen shots taken at different times on a download, and where are you living, and what ports are you using, clients, and how many connections?

The only time I got my 8MB maxed out was with Newshosting.com
    Here's a quick screenie I took right now.. about 6pm EST Road Runner NYC. Pulling about 700-800kbs. I get around 1000kbs during the daytime or overnight. This is actually peak time. I'm using the latest AltBinz, four connections.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    Well where do you live, because RR isn't one to let people pull full bandwidth off of their servers for Usenet, I know because like I said I've been with them 10 years, and I've been a Usenet geek since then, and where I live they don't give it to us, UNLESS the Admins out here are clowns, or there has been problems out where I live and they've cracked down on it more then in your area is all I can think of.

I'm using the latest Newsleecher Beta 13 with 4 connections...

I don't think between the clients there is going to be any difference.

And I take it you are using 119?

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by DasFox View Post
    Well where do you live, because RR isn't one to let people pull full bandwidth off of their servers for Usenet, I know because like I said I've been with them 10 years, and I've been a Usenet geek since then, and where I live they don't give it to us, UNLESS the Admins out here are clowns, or there has been problems out where I live and they've cracked down on it more then in your area is all I can think of.

I'm using the latest Newsleecher Beta 13 with 4 connections...

I don't think between the clients there is going to be any difference.

And I take it you are using 119?
    Yep standard 119. I'm in Manhattan. Max is 4 connections allowed. Off peak times I can actually achieve my full 10mbps connection with only 2 or 3 connections. Usually it's max speed all day until about 6-7pm. Then it runs slow until 1-2am. At worst during peak times I get 150-200kb/s ish.

Client doesn't matter, I used to use Newsleecher. AltBinz is far superior though.

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    I guess they are just being more tight wads where I live then. I'm moving this weekend getting another place, so maybe the new place I live in will have faster speeds, but I doubt it.

The thing is I know I can get the full 8MB line if I use Newshosting.com I get my connection speeds, it's just RR out here is capping the downloads off of Usenet.

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    That's cool having Usenet with the Internet subscription.

With Roadrunner, is there a traffic limit, if how much can you leech?

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnentier View Post
    That's cool having Usenet with the Internet subscription.

With Roadrunner, is there a traffic limit, if how much can you leech?
    No limit as far as I am aware of.

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    Just for completeness.. 7.45am

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast