Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats The Chances...

I didn't read the article, but you're wrong on a lot of counts.

1. Well, ok.

2. 1000 mp3s? Heh, the RIAA will (and has) sued over a lot less than that. 38 MBs of music has been the smallest I've heard of so far.

3. Er, yea, they're already into the hundreds, if not thousands, of lawsuits filed. Maybe you meant millions...?

4. $3000 is probably about average. Even the worst offenders are probably getting off with $15-20,000 or less. In fact, they want people to settle out of court rather than fight it.

1. This one we agree on...

2. Ok, this maybe wrong. The Riaa may be as childish as to sue people over some mb's of music.

3 and 4. Well, I actually meant thousands (the article says that there will be thousands of lawsuets against other users in the near future), but it can be millions as well, if the Riaa thinks it can sue every single p2p-user. Ok, perhaps I formulated it wrong. They actually can sue thousands of users, because that's only an administrative matter (but a hell of a lot of paperwork, though). And I know that the Riaa wants to settle it outside the courtroom rather than going actually to court, because then the thing will happen what I said earlier:

The riaa can't actually go to court, because if they take every single accused person to court, then the courts will have to work overtime a lot. It takes a long time before such a dispute can be settled in the courtroom and then there is the matter of appeal, after the sentence has been passed. So these disputes would takes years for every single user. And there are thousands of them.

The other choice in the matter is to take users to court together, but then the court has to be in session in a stadium or some other big place, because suppose every accused brings his own lawyer. Then there would be a couple of hundred accuseds and a couple of hundred lawyers. And you know how lawyers are they all want to elaborate on their view of the matter. That also would take a real long time.

And then there is also the possibility that the Riaa will lose in the courtroom and I don't think that they would want that to happen. Because if they lose one, they will lose them all. The Riaa is better of when most users are afraid of them.

So, it's not very likely that the Riaa will do a lot of fighting inside the courtroom

Greetz, D!mensio_x.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    They couldn't group us all together, since one of us being guilty doesn't mean we all are, and vice versa. With the right charge tho, we could file a class action suit against them...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123